Joe Ofahengaue Next ??

@Tiger5150 said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

Something I thought of with the potential signing of Joey O. I think he would be the lone Tongan in the camp in a squad dripping with Samoans. Hope it doesnt disrupt any harmony.

I was more concerned about the number of Samoans we have and the possible disruption that any influence Aloiai might have.

@formerguest said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

Something I thought of with the potential signing of Joey O. I think he would be the lone Tongan in the camp in a squad dripping with Samoans. Hope it doesnt disrupt any harmony.

I was more concerned about the number of Samoans we have and the possible disruption that any influence Aloiai might have.

Can he take Chee-Kam with him? Pretty sure he was an Eagle once…

@formerguest said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

I feel like the guys who’re buying into Madge would be pretty upset with Josh blindsiding the club after everything we’ve done for him. Signed him as a junior helped him through injuries helped him become the player he is.

@Vince-Farrar said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

I’m happy with the signings thus far but our defence was a major concern this year . The only improvement in our defensive issues I see so far is Benji going. I don’t see any defensive improvement so far with these new signings . However I remain positive cause that’s just what a West’s supporter has to do .

Just consider that Benji is the hole in the Titanic.

If the hole wasn’t there would it have sunk.

Don’t think so - hole has been plugged.

@Strongee said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

We don’t need a marquee , we need a decent football team .

The marquee player issue to me isn’t a big issue. I still think the points made by @Tigerbuck63 are valid.

The best halves appear to be Brooks and AD. It could be good but they both have to improve massively. AD has to learn the spot in the top grade.

Mbye is at this point our best option at fullback. He drops the ball consistently and his hit-ups are weak. He has some upside in that he is fast and he can ball play. Overall though it’s a problem position.

Liddle has to prove himself at hooker and we need a back-up. Is it realistic for Simpkin to step up this year ?

Then assuming we lose JA we’ve lost our best metre eater. We have a bunch of unproven inconsistent players in the middle. We then lack a quality right edge backrower. We really need Blore to step up. Is JO up to it ? It sounds a higher cost contract which is a concern.

Our centres in Roberts, BJ and Talau are okay but do you think they will be consistent. Our wingers look okay to me but they aren’t great.

In stating all of that I like the way we are picking up players. I also don’t think we are going to be worse than last year. We could surprise on the up-side.

7 news just reported Walters wont be releasing Joe O to the Drag queens good to see they are all over things.

so we take Joe O off the Broncos…

They chip in x amount leaving 350k

Manly pay the Broncos the 350k that aloiai would’ve gotten from us…

We get Joe O for nothing, then upgrade him if/when needed.

Use our original 350k elsewhere

@OzLuke said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

? What’s the difference between that and just getting JA off the books ? It’s the same outcome

@Strongee said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

@OzLuke said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

? What’s the difference between that and just getting JA off the books ? It’s the same outcome

just make manly pay what aloiai would’ve earned with us, plus his contract with them

@The_Doc said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

7 news just reported Walters wont be releasing Joe O to the Drag queens good to see they are all over things.

So that means broncos don’t want to pay much of his salary hope we don’t pay too much for him

@JC99 said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

So that means broncos don’t want to pay much of his salary hope we don’t pay too much for him

Pom indicated (if i recall correctly) they’d contribute $200k in '21 and $150k in '22. Assuming he’s on around $500k that’s pretty good value imo.

This could be Kev looking after his son’s team.

@avocadoontoast said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

Pom indicated (if i recall correctly) they’d contribute $200k in '21 and $150k in '22. Assuming he’s on around $500k that’s pretty good value imo.

Joe O signed a $2million 4 year contract in 2019, that would be a bargain for us at$300K.

@avocadoontoast said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

I hope those numbers are true cause they’re good but it’s a sudden change of heart from them. Hopefully a deal can be done ASAP so he can move down from QLD and get here for pre season

From NRL.com

Despite Ofahengaue and Lodge being linked with rival clubs, Walters also declared both props remain in his plans for next season - along with Pangai, who has been stood down without pay since August and had strict conditions placed on his employment after breaching the NRL’s biosecurity protocols.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme