Is the Recruitment Cup Half-full?

Given the despair many felt at the Annus horribilis this year on the field, the ‘lack of empathy Madge has for players’, no JAC, and the turmoil surrounding the departure of 'the disgruntled ones and the feeling it’s all happening again next year, have we now reached a glass half-full feeling with the signings developments this week (and potential others next week)?

Not saying we will win next year but do you feel more optimistic now?

I really do. Yes, some signings are risky but as others have said they are low cost risk. We have also shown that people do want to come. That could well open the door for bigger and better signings in 22, especially if we have a better than ninth finish. A club on the rise is attractive for those seeking success.

last edited by mikey

I don’t see the signings as risky . I see them as buying low , which is what analytics is all about . From my understanding that’s what’s driving our recruitment , rather than previous years “gut feel” which lead to us releasing half the NSW team .
Tamou definitely has 2 years left , as front towers can be very productive right up until thier last game . Civoneciva type bodies usually. Which is what Tamou has . I think the Fifita , Blocker , Junior Paulo types , tend to have shorter careers. No stats , just an observation .
Joe-o was miserable , I don’t see any issues there . Jimmy got out of the negative culture at Souths ,it wins footy games but geez they have some issues with drugs and alcohol . Stefano will not fail IMO. And Laurie was thier 20s player of the year last year , with a team stacked with talent . It says it all to me .

@Strongee said in Is the Recruitment Cup Half-full?:

I don’t see the signings as risky . I see them as buying low , which is what analytics is all about . From my understanding that’s what’s driving our recruitment , rather than previous years “gut feel” which lead to us releasing half the NSW team .
Tamou definitely has 2 years left , as front towers can be very productive right up until thier last game . Civoneciva type bodies usually. Which is what Tamou has . I think the Fifita , Blocker , Junior Paulo types , tend to have shorter careers. No stats , just an observation .
Joe-o was miserable , I don’t see any issues there . Jimmy got out of the negative culture at Souths ,it wins footy games but geez they have some issues with drugs and alcohol . Stefano will not fail IMO. And Laurie was thier 20s player of the year last year , with a team stacked with talent . It says it all to me .

Fair signings imo. Each one has higher potential than what we let go

There are so many things that impact the performance on the park and where we finish on the ladder. The playing roster and coaching are a key component however, things like the draw, injuries, rule changes also have a significant effect.

I go into every season optimistic and unfortunately for the last decade feel deflated by the end.

None of the signings so far have me thinking we are better placed when compared to last year. I still believe we are missing an x-factor player, a organising half, genuine pace and a hard running forward.

@mikey said in Is the Recruitment Cup Half-full?:

Given the despair many felt at the Annus horribilis this year on the field, the ‘lack of empathy Madge has for players’, no JAC, and the turmoil surrounding the departure of 'the disgruntled ones and the feeling it’s all happening again next year, have we now reached a glass half-full feeling with the signings developments this week (and potential others next week)?

Not saying we will win next year but do you feel more optimistic now?

I really do. Yes, some signings are risky but as others have said they are low cost risk. We have also shown that people do want to come. That could well open the door for bigger and better signings in 22, especially if we have a better than ninth finish. A club on the rise is attractive for those seeking success.

I feel optimistic. I don’t get too wound up on players coming or going. But am an avid bystander and really don’t kick stones about it. I’ve played many games bush footy and all players have bad or uninterested years. And each year someone will come on when another drops off.
Attitude imo has one of the biggest impacts on team performance. One of the biggest things I like about Madge is you never see him front the media with excuses. This is the main reason I feel optimistic

Good post Mikey.

Yes I am feeling very optimistic for our future, this new identification criteria is and will continue to pay dividends I’m sure.

With Jimmy & Daine coming, and something Jimmy said about how impressed he was with our indigenous pathway program (I confess I didn’t know we had one) I really do think that could be a tipping point to attract JAC back from the dark side.

And once we get some success, good players will want to look at us instead of ignoring us.

last edited by TigerWest

Bit early either way …if our recruitment drive ended now …I’d be underwhelmed and disappointed

Good question. Slightly more optimistic, have been excited for a number of years now and it has come to nothing so trying to always moderate that with a steady drip of cold water.

My thoughts on 2021 were juniors with a couple of new “pros” would be the way to go. I didn’t expect the club to take an off field risk like Jimmy but I’m glad they did as the potential upside would transform us as a long range threat. Have to remember Laurie is probably 2022, not 21, so Mbye or someone else has to have a huge year at 1.

Really hope the club gets something useful from Aloiai, there is still potential for things to go really well or for the mighty WT to give more of the same.

Tl:DR splinters from the fence I’m sitting on

Generally half full rather than empty and it depends on our youngster’s progression more than anything else for mine. Roberts could also be the wild card as he potentially provides something that WT have long been lacking, pace and explosiveness.

We all hope to be on the rise when negotiating with future players to be a more attractive candidate and certainly cannot afford to go backwards from our current lowly eleventh, nor less than three places forward, as that would have WT not playing finals for a bloody decade.

Club needs to be tough with the Aloiai thing, picking up an unwanted prop, who I like, is not a tough stance. Get Sirro and a FB for 21 and I’ll start to believe.

Think ur 100% right bagf05

@BAGNF05 said in Is the Recruitment Cup Half-full?:

Club needs to be tough with the Aloiai thing, picking up an unwanted prop, who I like, is not a tough stance. Get Sirro and a FB for 21 and I’ll start to believe.

Certainly don’t want them to roll over - that wuld be the wrong signal.

Overall the last two seasons we’ve made some smart signings. They’re not big names and I’m not sure that we’ll make finals next season even if we land all our targets but with limited cap and not many good players available we’ve done well

Now we need to take the next step and sign a genuine superstar marquee signing for 2022. Feel like I’ve been saying it for years but it really is the next step for our club and we have to do it

I am generally pretty happy with how things have gone this week. I would prefer what we have signed this week and the addition of Joe O to just signing JAC . If we get Joe O I would be happy to let the sook walk.

@JoshColeman99 said in Is the Recruitment Cup Half-full?:

Overall the last two seasons we’ve made some smart signings. They’re not big names and I’m not sure that we’ll make finals next season even if we land all our targets but with limited cap and not many good players available we’ve done well

Now we need to take the next step and sign a genuine superstar marquee signing for 2022. Feel like I’ve been saying it for years but it really is the next step for our club and we have to do it

Thoughts on superstar versus 3 or 4 really good players? I think under rated guys like Finucane, Toby Rudolph, jahrome Hughes would give the team some balance. Don’t wanna be like manly with the over reliance on two or three players. One superstar would be handy though, come back Teddy.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme