Cricket Season Thread

• Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20’s.

Assuming ‘dead wood’ like Hussey and North leave within the next year or so, I think we’ll have a great team. Bring in Hughes and Marsh, put Watson back in the middle order, there you go.

• It’s true that we have been spoiled over the last 15 or so years. Australia was always on top of the table. Now we aren’t even in the top 3 test nations and if we lose the next test, I think we will even fall below England. But I also think this makes it more interesting. I want the Australian team to fight their hardest to climb back to the top.

By the way, excellent test match, win, lose or draw. That level of excitement over several hours can never be captured by twenty20 cricket.

• @citizen cub:

siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20’s.

Assuming ‘dead wood’ like hussey and north leave within the next year or so, i think we’ll have a great team. Bring in hughes and marsh, put watson back in the middle order, there you go.

steve smith and phil hughes are your men.

• @citizen cub:

Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20’s.

Assuming ‘dead wood’ like Hussey and North leave within the next year or so, I think we’ll have a great team. Bring in Hughes and Marsh, put Watson back in the middle order, there you go.

I’m presumming Hussey and Ponting will retire after the Ashes, but maybe Punter will go through to the World Cup mid next year?

• @tig_prmz:

sorry guys, proud to be an indian today!

And, also the commonwealth games! So proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in australia, and still cheer on about india. Sick of that comment :d

well if your sick of that comment maybe youll find india a nicer place to live and you will be less sick there.

• @Tiger Watto:

@citizen cub:

Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20’s.

I’m presumming Hussey and Ponting will retire after the Ashes, but maybe Punter will go through to the World Cup mid next year?

Hussey might, I doubt Ponting will, you know he’s considering going to the 2013 ashes?

• ForumSupporter

@stryker:

@Geo.:

Bagging players…uncool…

Total agreeance here Geo.

This is our first test in yonks and I think the boys played pretty well. A 1 wicket loss v India at home is a good start.

I think all the young people on this forum have been spoilt in their cricket watching with the etraordinary teams Australia has produced over the past decade or more.

I can remember a time when it was a big thing for us to win consecutive tests.

The boys will be alright….give them a break.

True that…I think anyone alive when the Aussies fronted up to the might of the Windies, Poms and even the kiwis ‘live’ in the 70’s and 80’s would never diss players…

Recommend getting a copy of the excellent ABC doco’s from the Benuad years through to the Chapple’s

Wonder what they would have thought of Bobby Simpson’s ‘comeback’…

• @magpie mania:

@tig_prmz:

sorry guys, proud to be an indian today!

And, also the commonwealth games! So proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in australia, and still cheer on about india. Sick of that comment :d

well if your sick of that comment maybe youll find india a nicer place to live and you will be less sick there.

Haha so you are telling me to go back to india just because I follow them??

• No its more of a case of you crapping on my or am i wrong should i say our country by saying go india fair enough if theyre your team.but dont tell us your sick of people saying you should support australia because thats what this country is.i think the commonwealth games in delhi is the laughing stock of the world with bridges and roofs collapsing and accommodation that is ridiculous.however i believe that it is still showing progress for india coming out of 3rd world living conditions.please be reminded that im not indian so i cant rely on my parents constantly reminding me how great the mother country is so i must form my own opinion instead of relying on others.good win to india in the cricket and i think ill leave it at that thankyou very much.

• I’m sorry if you are offened by me saying: “im sick…”

The thing is it doesn’t matter where you live, I will support India for the rest of my life. However, people don’t get it!

And, as for Commonwealth games, as you said you form your own opinions. That speaks for itself I think.

• @tig_prmz:

i’m sorry if you are offened by me saying: “im sick…”

the thing is it doesn’t matter where you live, i will support india for the rest of my life. However, people don’t get it!

And, as for commonwealth games, as you said you form your own opinions. That speaks for itself i think.

im not offended by your “sickness” what i am offended by is you saying it doesnt matter where you live i wonder if thats what your parents were saying when they went cap in hand to migrate to this beautiful country i think your comments also speak for your mentality.

• Guys, lets get back to the Cricket please…

PM each other if you want to have a personal debate!

• @tiger watto:

guys, lets get back to the cricket please…

Pm each other if you want to have a personal debate!

who will win the ashes, are the pommies a hope and how many if any tests will phil hughes and steve smith play. :wahoo: :wahoo:

• Im trying not to bag players Geo.

But its just a fact that Ponting is not a great tactical captain and a lot of experts who have played the game agree.

There’s been major blunders like bowling first at Headingly in 05 on a road without McGrath and an out of form Gillespie, Nagpur 08 with the over rates, playing an injured Symonds and Lee against SA 08, bowling Hauritz and North at to the number 10 and 11 at Cardiff 09, wanting 4 seamers on a spinners deck at the oval 09, batting first in Sydney 2010 on a green top, and in England vs Pakistan 2010 batting first on another greentop.

I mean yesterday, with under 20 runs needed he was still putting the field back giving away easy 1s and 2s, with just 20 runs needed and the tailender playing well, I think he should of brought the field up. Laxman hardly ever hits the ball over the top (According to cricinfo: Number of 6s hit by Laxman in Test cricket: 4. With his most recent 6, 5 years ago), so if he did do that with the field up, with a bad back and pressure on, it would of been a huge risk.

It mystifies me why he never has a 3rd man, especially on the subcontinent where lots of balls roll along the ground in the slips area. He brought Marcus North on with the game on the line and kept Hilfenhaus out of the attack too long, then with 2 needed he had a fine leg when he may as well of had everyone up. I also think he is a bit of a ball chaser, you watch everytime a 4 is hit, he puts a fieldsman out on the boundary to where the ball went.

I think one of the reasons why we don’t always finish teams off is because the captaincy can be too defensive and they dont go for the jugular.

• @jazza:

im trying not to bag players geo.

But its just a fact that ponting is not a great tactical captain and a lot of experts who have played the game agree.

I mean yesterday, with under 20 runs needed he was still putting the field back giving away easy 1s and 2s, with just 20 runs needed and the tailender playing well, i think he should of brought the field up. Laxman hardly ever hits the ball over the top (according to cricinfo: number of 6s hit by laxman in test cricket: 4. With his most recent 6, 5 years ago), so if he did do that with the field up, with a bad back and pressure on, it would of been a huge risk.

It mystifies me why he never has a 3rd man, especially on the subcontinent where lots of balls roll along the ground in the slips area. He brought marcus north on with the game on the line and kept hilfenhaus out of the attack too long, then with 2 needed he had a fine leg when he may as well of had everyone up. I also think he is a bit of a ball chaser, you watch everytime a 4 is hit, he puts a fieldsman out on the boundary to where the ball went.

I think one of the reasons why we don’t always finish teams off is because the captaincy can be too defensive and they dont go for the jugular.

the aussies were blessed with a great captain in steve waugh who was ruthless and knew how to go for the jugular i will say his one and only bad error as captain was in india when he enforced the follow on and lost while taylor before him was excellent also with field placement.but as good as ponting is with the bat he is found wanting on tactics as a captain with field placement and use of bowlers.

Recent Topics