Did we really land on the Moon

Always a good subject to get some boisterous discussions on I think we did land on the Moon .
Main reason is eventually we will go back for some reason and if there is no evidence on the Moon that we have been there previously that the Americans will go down in history as a pack of fools to try and get away with it . But some of the evidence against is pretty good also . ?? Opinions ??

I am going there for my end of season trip after the Grand Final.

I wonder if that nightclub is still open.

Dave’s right. Only Flat Earth and tin foil hat types seriously believe that kind of guff. The only good thing about this debate is the footage of Buzz Aldrin punching that guy out.

I actually had this argument with my missus last night.

My favourite doubter argument is that “We haven’t been back there since.” It was a political achievement as much as it was a scientific achievement, and there ain’t much there to research! You can only collect so many rocks before it becomes a waste of time and money.

It will be interesting to see them go back in 2019 with the Orion spacecraft.

Second biggest conspiracy ever

Posted using RoarFEED

@Kul:

Tony Abbott would say no

And Julia would say yes and then change her mind Kul . And when you asked Swan he would sit there ,not answer with this facial expression 😮 Can’t stand Swan He probably still thinks the moon is made of cheese

@Cultured Bogan:

My favourite doubter argument is that “We haven’t been back there since.” It was a political achievement as much as it was a scientific achievement, and there ain’t much there to research! You can only collect so many rocks before it becomes a waste of time and money.

Well exactly. People lost interest very quickly back in the 70s. Most of the later guys who walked on the moon are hardly household names. Mention the name Eugene Cernan to people and see what reaction you get! So given that a) people had lost interest b) it was proven that it could be done (6 landings is enough for that I think) and c) it costs big money to do it, it’s not surprising they pulled the plug.

@Yossarian:

@Cultured Bogan:

Well exactly. People lost interest very quickly back in the 70s. Most of the later guys who walked on the moon are hardly household names. Mention the name Eugene Cernan to people and see what reaction you get! So given that a) people had lost interest b) it was proven that it could be done (6 landings is enough for that I think) and c) it costs big money to do it, it’s not surprising they pulled the plug.

Aren’t you surprised we haven’t been back in the last 15 years . We have some much more information about the universe than we did 40 years ago and technology we would have now to do more detailed studies such as drilling, dropping moblie cameras down craters etc could help us understand things further .

@happy tiger:

@Yossarian:

@Cultured Bogan:

Aren’t you surprised we haven’t been back in the last 15 years . We have some much more information about the universe than we did 40 years ago and technology we would have now to do more detailed studies such as drilling, dropping moblie cameras down craters etc could help us understand things further .

Yes and no Happy. The major factor is of course money. These things aren’t cheap especially if you’re going to start drilling. I do agree it would be interesting and we could probably find out more about the moon but the priority these days seems to be on what’s happening on the outer solar system. Moon landings are inherently more interesting than the ISS but there is still that “been there done that” mentality.
But if we could land on Mars - that would be enough to get people excited again! Given the state of the US economy though, it will have to be a joint effort or it won’t happen at all.

@Yossarian:

@happy tiger:

@Yossarian:

@Cultured Bogan:

Yes and no Happy. The major factor is of course money. These things aren’t cheap especially if you’re going to start drilling. I do agree it would be interesting and we could probably find out more about the moon but the priority these days seems to be on what’s happening on the outer solar system. Moon landings are inherently more interesting than the ISS but there is still that “been there done that” mentality.
But if we could land on Mars - that would be enough to get people excited again! Given the state of the US economy though, it will have to be a joint effort or it won’t happen at all.

I almost said Mars in my last comment Yoss but thought it might be a touch off topic . Your probably right Mars should be our next target for manned landing missions

@Yossarian:

@happy tiger:

@Yossarian:

@Cultured Bogan:

As Yoss has already mentioned HT the cost would the be prime factor, NASA have already scaled back Project Constellation and will now no longer look at securing a moon base as part of the Orion programme. There is only so much that can be learnt from the moon. In essence, a moon base would be completely reliant on resources from Earth as it has no atmosphere to cultivate so it would not be all that dissimilar from the current setup in the ISS other than the fact it is far cheaper to send spacecraft into lower Earth orbit than a three day trip to the moon where the safety risk is inherently greater. As I previously mentioned earlier also there’s only so many rocks you can collect before it becomes a redundant exercise, unless they are looking to bore into the moon’s surface in order to obtain further geological data.

Given the amount of spending and man hours that have gone into the ISS, I’d be willing to bet that will be the priority for Russia & NASA at least for the next decade until they being planning for the next station or possibly an expedition to Mars. Mars will be a ridiculously expensive exercise and will almost certainly be a joint effort between the ESA, NASA/CSA and Russia who are willing to spend the money on a year long round trip which will have to be carefully co-ordinated with synchronising of Mars’ and Earth’s orbits.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.