Jake Mullaney's future with Wests uncertain

I have a feeling if were not getting ryan cross were after a gun fb but who we dont know will be suprise what will be our fb next year

Interesting. Wonder if that article will get WT management’s back up and seal Mullaney’s fate?

Looks like the kid’s family feels Sheens and Mc Donnell have strung him along too long.
Can’t blame them getting testy after so many broken promises but it’s most probably not in his best interests airing their dirty linen in public.
You’ll note there is nothing quoted directly from him.

That’s true CK, but if he isn’t feeling that way what would pre-empt some of his family members to come out and say this?

Doesn’t look good for Jake unfortunate he hasn’t been given a go.

I cant understand why he hasnt been given a go. I dont believe hes a guaranteed NRL success but anyone who dominates like he did in NYC deserves a go in my opinion.

Size is obviously at question, but look at Gardener, Bowen and Coote, who are all some of the smaller NRL Players and all very good fullbacks. Also the same coach has been happy to play at differet times McDonnell, Hodgson and Gallant who are all very small fullbacks.

i’m sure his mum whinging in the media will do watever slim chance he had of getting a contract the world of good
seriously,i don’t get how a guy whose never played FG gets so much attention

To be honest CB you couldn’t blame him for feeling let down - especially as he was promised a shot and even with all the injuries early in the year he was overlooked.
On the other hand didn’t we read on here earlier that Sheens promised Moltzen the fullback spot ?
On top of so many other things there’s been too many porkies told this year.

• Sheens won’t give Mullaney a crack. He’s a genuine attacking fullback, despite his size and would give us another attacking option. This would indicate he sees defensive liability at the back and wants a safer alternative;
  • Sheens won’t give Brown a start at FB. While nothing spectacular, he’s good under the high ball, safe defensively and returns the ball hard. Could become a better attacking fullback if he learns to position himself well in attack and runs in support;
  • Sheens plays a five-eighth in Moltzen at fullback, who is better than neither of the aforementioned in terms of defensive aptitude or ability with the ball. Furthermore, he is confirmed not be at the club next year.

This is dizzy stuff…

Its a difficult one.

He has attacking prowess but defensively and under the high ball he has shown deficiencies.

One of my, and many other problems with Moltzen at fullback has been soft kick returns. Jake is actually slightly less effective in this department.

As an all round fullback Meaney is superior but Jake cannot play anywhere else on the field and as such occupies the number 1 jumper for BRET.

I would love to see Jake kick on and develop a running game of similar aggression to a Massey etc but it is what it is.

One would think that by now players and their families would have learnt that airing laundry in the media does not reflect well on them as a team player and can come across as whining

@cktiger:

To be honest CB you couldn’t blame him for feeling let down - especially as he was promised a shot and even with all the injuries early in the year he was overlooked.
On the other hand didn’t we read on here earlier that Sheens promised Moltzen the fullback spot ?
On top of so many other things there’s been too many porkies told this year.

If he has been promised a shot I can understand him feeling let down. But we don’t know if the start was provisional upon Brown/Moltzen/McKinnon not all being available. This is all from his family also which is really second hand information unless Jake confirms it.

I feel for the kid, but I think this will only force WT’s hand and it won’t do Jake any favours.

is he better than joel caine?

He is on an NRL Contract, so I’m sure he knows ‘what’ it is Sheens wants him to work on… If he cant get past or find ways to convince Sheens he has solved his concerns, its probably time to move onto a new Coach/Club to see if they have a spot for his strengths…

Pretty normal circumstances at every NRL Franchise?!

@Tiger Watto:

He is on an NRL Contract, so I’m sure he knows ‘what’ it is Sheens wants him to work on… If he cant get past or find ways to convince Sheens he has solved his concerns, its probably time to move onto a new Coach/Club to see if they have a spot for his strengths…

Pretty normal circumstances at every NRL Franchise?!

Thats right!

Sook article.
We all saw Lazarus play FG and he wasn’t impressive, maybe Sheens doesn’t want to make the same mistake twice.

The other young guns have been great! Simona, Groat, Woods, Etc.
There must be a reason why this chap can’t get a run, Tim Sheens probably thinks he [edited by mods].
Move on like Lazarus did and try your luck else where.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.