WESTS TIGERS BEAT TITANS 56-18 IN U20S

WESTS TIGERS BEAT TITANS 56-18 IN U20S
By Wayne Cousins
29/08/2011 6:41:33 PM

Wests Tigers U20s side tonight cemented a finals berth with a convincing 56-18 victory over the Gold Coast Titans at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

The win keeps Wests Tigers in seventh place on 30 points but the win was overshadowed with a right ankle injury to exciting full-back James Tedesco.

Wests Tigers will have a finals hit out against fourth placed Cronulla next Saturday night.

The game was just three minutes old when a chip kick on the last tackle by half-back and captain Jacob Miller saw the ball sit up for centre Matt Evans score behind the posts.

Full-back James Tedesco failed to convert the try to leave Wests Tigers leading 4-0.

The Titans were denied a try in the eight minute after the referee ruled winger Jackson Springer lost the ball forward in trying to score.

A beautiful cut out pass by Tedesco put Fijian winger Marika Koroibete over in the left corner for an 8-0 scoreline after 11 minutes. The try was not converted.

Gold Coast opened their account with a try to Tom Dawney under the posts in the 18th minute. Second-rower Blake Anderson converted the try to leave Wests Tigers leading 8-6.

The Titans went to a 10-8 lead in the 28th minute when half-back Matthew Beddow beat three defenders to score under the posts. Anderson converted the try for a 12-8 lead after 30 minutes.

Wests Tigers drew level when forward Mosese Fotuaika crashed over near the posts for a 12-12 scoreline. Half-back Jacob Miller failed to convert the try.

Hooker Pat Politoni put Wests Tigers ahead when he crashed over next to the posts. Tedesco converted the try for an 18-12 lead after 36 minutes.

2nd Half
Wests Tigers stretched their lead to 22-12 when Miller scored off his own grubber kick next to the posts. Tedesco converted the try for a 24-12 lead.

Evans grabbed his second try in the 56th minute to give Wests Tigers a 28-12 lead. Tedesco failed to convert the try.

A good ball by second-rower Mason Talolua saw Tedesco make a break down the field to offload to Mosese Fotuaika to score next to the posts.Tedesco converted the try for a 34-12 lead after 61 minutes.

A break by Curtis Sironen a minute later saw Tedesco step the full-back to score under the posts. He converted his own try for a 40-12 lead.

The tryscoring spree continued a minute later when Sironen scored near the posts. Sironen converted the try for a 46-12 lead after Tedesco left the field with a right ankle injury.

Sironen then took Wests Tigers past the half century mark with a try from dummy half. He converted his own try for a 52-12 lead after 71 minutes.

Gold Coast prop Luke Page crashed over next to the posts. Anderson converted the try for a 52-18 scoreline.

Koribete grabbed his second try in the 77th minute to make it 56-18.
Sironen failed to convert the try from out wide.

Wests Tigers team
1 James Tedesco
2 Marika Koroibete
3 Tim Simona
6 Matt Evans
5 David Nofoaluma
18 Curtis Sironen
7 Jacob Miller ©
8 Neil Begovich
9 Ben Saunders
10 Sebastian Vourlos
11 Mason Talolua
13 Joel Luani
15 Shaun Spence

Interchange
4 Taqele Naiyaravaro
14 Mosese Fotuaika
16 Pat Politoni
17 Jay Masueli

Just curious, it may have already been answered before, but does anybody know why the goal kicking duties have transfered from Miller to Tedesco? And is Miller the full-time Captain now even with Spence returning?

Spence was named on the bench but started the game. I saw him regularly talk to the ref so I assume he was captain.

The team player really well against the titans, it was great to watch them try some set plays which resulted in tries, their reaction and excitement that ‘it worked’ was gold, looking to back it up this week :righton:

was really impressed with tequila ( no. 4 anyway ) … fairly quick for a big unit, pretty raw, but you get the feeling this guy is another tuiaki in the making

@Blackpearl:

was really impressed with tequila ( no. 4 anyway ) … fairly quick for a big unit, pretty raw, but you get the feeling this guy is another tuiaki in the making

He made a good break down the grandstand touchline busting through a few tackles, looked unstoppable then passed the ball inside which led to nothing, I was hoping he would keep the ball, the way he steamrolled along he was a good chance of scoring on his own.

They sure made me hold up my C’MON WESTS banner alot in this game! 😆

@cunno:

@Blackpearl:

He made a good break down the grandstand touchline busting through a few tackles, looked unstoppable then passed the ball inside which led to nothing, I was hoping he would keep the ball, the way he steamrolled along he was a good chance of scoring on his own.

thats the guy i was talking about a couple of months ago. he was playing for wests magpies nsw cup team. he seems really strong!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.