SECOND CHANCE A MOTIVATING FACTOR
By Wayne Cousins
1/09/2011 10:46:34 AM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens has reminded his players of the nightmare loss to the Sydney Roosters in last year’s qualifying final to drive home the importance of a second chance in the Telstra Premiership finals.

A win over Cronulla Sharks this Saturday night would see Wests Tigers finish the regular season in fourth place – a position the team sits in for the first time this season following Monday night’s win over the Titans.

Sheens stressed whilst it would be good for the Club to host a home final in the opening week, it was the opportunity of getting a second chance in week 2 that should motivate his players.

“I’ve reminded them about the Roosters game last year where I argue a poor decision by the referees in that scrum with Chris Heighington cost us a semi-final. If it was sudden death, we were gone,” Sheens said.

“It is very, very important for us to have an opportunity as we did last year. We played Canberra and got a chance at a Grand Final qualifier. That second chance was very important and I don’t see it being any different this year.”

Sheens feels his side is in a similar shape to 12 months ago leading into this year’s finals.

“We have nearly got a full squad. We have Chris Lawrence out and we had him out last year at this stage with his cheekbone,’’ Sheens said.

“I have no (Todd) Payten. I would have liked to have had a few more games under Lote’s belt and a couple of other players in the squad.

“At the moment, we are playing reasonably confidently. We could be more consistent in each game.

“We need to be playing a little tighter. We obviously know we are in the semis and it is very, very difficult to keep up every week.

“We have managed to win the games, that’s the most important thing, so this week is very, very important for us to win the game and not worry about the scoreline.”