How Much Will We Miss Folkesy Next Year?

Two finals appearances in his two years with the club and who knows how far we will go this year, yet. I know the Tigers success of the past 2 years has been a team coaching effort, but there is no doubt Folkes has had a major impact on this current squad. Our defence is soooo much better now, than it was in the days of ol Roycie. Just wondering what people think - how much will we miss him next year and who have we got to replace him?

I think your right on the money there mate. He will be missed. Our defense and fitness towards the back end of games is the reason we have been able to hang in there most of the season until troops came back on deck.

Agree. Folkes on board has been like having 2 top level first grade coaches running the team, unlike most other clubs where their assitants don’t have the same coaching experience or background. We are lucky to have a coach and assistant coach that have both won First Grade Grand Finals. Folkes definitely brought in a few new tricks from that same winning formula that led to his highly successful bulldogs coaching stint in the early 2000’s.

We know we have had an awesome attack for many years with guys like Benji, Farah, Lawrence, Tuquri and the rest, but all the experts agree that Grand Finals are won on the back of brilliant defence. Dragons had it last year, Manly and Melbourne have had it for the past few years.

There are many contributing factors to our turnaround over the past couple of years and I would say Folkes is one of the many unsung hero’s in the club that has made a valuable contribution in our successful transition from a fringe top 8 team to a solid top 4 team and more importantly, title contender.

Folkes has been great for the club , bringing a hard nosed approach and mental toughness that hasn’t been seen in the past
I don’t think we will lose a great deal however with Georgallis as his replacement for the next season

Folkes is the ultimate professional, the way our d has improved & also the fitness of the the player has been great, & i wish him all the best in his next gig.

@Flippedy:

Two finals appearances in his two years with the club and who knows how far we will go this year, yet. I know the Tigers success of the past 2 years has been a team coaching effort, but there is no doubt Folkes has had a major impact on this current squad. Our defence is soooo much better now, than it was in the days of ol Roycie. Just wondering what people think - how much will we miss him next year and who have we got to replace him?

In 2005 when we won the Comp, I believe Ol Roycie was the defensive coach, I recall at one stage in the finals our deferential was plus 70 after disposing of the Dragons, 3 finals games not too shabby. Royce was not the problem. What Royce would do, to be coaching the talented players we have now. Taking nothing away from Folks efforts, no doubt he like Royce has had positive contributions. Next year our defense will be even better with the addition of Adam Blair. Go Weststigers!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.