Who Is The Real Benji Marshall

The Terrograth is at it again.

BENJI Marshall: the edifying face of the game or precocious little … you get the drift.

The answer to that depends on who you speak to.

What isn’t in dispute is that he’s on the unofficial first line of betting to win his first Dally M Medal at rugby league’s night of nights at the Royal Hall of Industries on Tuesday.

Should he win, how could it be in dispute?

Marshall’s freakish skills that others have been panting over lately are hardly a revelation.

Mid-air sidesteps. Flick passes. Behind-the-back flick passes … All standard fare from the Wests Tigers five-eighth.

This season, though, what impresses is his ability to put the money play away and control

the game, as all champion playmakers worth their drinking silver before him have done.

The Tigers’ season was buried under 12-feet of wet cement mid-season. He’s turned it on his head.

Should he win the medal, the thoughts of many will be on the humility he displays as he accepts rugby league’s highest individual honour.

Last week, this column was criticised in one section of the media for a story explaining how Marshall had come across as far too cocky while sitting in the witness box as he defended an assault charge that could’ve landed him in jail.

For the record, the story was checked off with The Daily Telegraph’s court reporter before it was filed.

Either way, there can be no dispute that Marshall polarises opinion.

At his own club, allegiances are formed along the fault line between him and captain Robbie Farah, who he doesn’t get on with.
You can also take it to the bank that senior players at rival clubs struggle to stomach him.

They watch him take the piss out of Brad Fittler and others on The Footy Show as he often does, and while he considers it funny they see it as disrespectful and out of line.
Ask the fans, though, and there is no dispute: Benji is King. The one they pay to see.

To that end, we’ve heard that Benji’s public persona is explored in great detail in his forthcoming autobiography Benji: My game, My story, to be released on October 11.

It helps reveal the other side of him. It explains in his own words how the showman he is on the field follows him off it.

Often that is misunderstood as arrogance, when in reality he’s a humble guy. We’ll see. It will be interesting to discover who the real Benji Marshall is.

So that hacks at the tele are that insecure in the journalistic skills that they feel the need to write an article to respond to critisism they have received.

What a pack of losers.

@derailed:

So that hacks at the tele are that insecure in the journalistic skills that they feel the need to write an article to respond to critisism they have received.

What a pack of losers.

Yeh, no different to a post on a forum designed to do nothing more than get a rise out of people…dunno who wrote this rubbish but it has Rothfields stink all over it…only way he gets people to read his crap is for him to write things he knows many will disagree with = mere troll

I cringe everytime I see an article about Benji.He must be so embarrased about what they write.Poor bugger.
Just about as tough as being Julia Gillard.

Here’s the article here
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/who-is-the-real-benji-marshall/story-e6freye0-1226128538589

@Andrew Webster:

Either way, there can be no dispute that Marshall polarises opinion.

At his own club, allegiances are formed along the fault line between him and captain Robbie Farah, who he doesn’t get on with.
You can also take it to the bank that senior players at rival clubs struggle to stomach him.

They watch him take the piss out of Brad Fittler and others on The Footy Show as he often does, and while he considers it funny they see it as disrespectful and out of line.

Marshall polarises opinion? does he? what exactly is he polarising?

How many times do they have to knock the Robbie v Benji thing on the head? and in the end, who cares if they have issues, that’s between them and no one else.

Oh we can take it to the bank that senior rival clubs struggle to stomach him? Well based on this, we can see your level of journalism, so it’s a bit hard to take whatever you say to the bank.

Now, granted I’ve missed the last 2 weeks of the Footy Show, but every other show that I’ve watched this year with Benji there, I have not once seen any sort of disprespect or piss taking from Benji. He barely get’s a bloody word in!

Andrew Webster, you’re a hack.

I thought Rothfield was bad but this Webster bloke is a real wanker :crazy

If benji and Robbie did not get along, I don’t think that the tigers will be going this well.

Me thinks that Andrew Webster has a lot of time on his hands.

Posted using RoarFEED

@joe’s magpies:

If benji and Robbie did not get along, I don’t think that the tigers will be going this well.

Me thinks that Andrew Webster has a lot of time on his hands.

Posted using RoarFEED

He has more than time on/in his hands!!!

Looks like justification for their earlier article criticising him for a off-the-cuff comment he made during his trial.

I expect nothing less than this sort of tripe from a gutter publication.

Woefull Webster you are an idiot!

@innsaneink:

@derailed:

What a pack of losers.

Yeh, no different to a post on a forum designed to do nothing more than get a rise out of people…dunno who wrote this rubbish but it has Rothfields stink all over it…only way he gets people to read his crap is for him to write things he knows many will disagree with = mere troll

I maintain that Rothfield isn’t a journalist, he’s merely a salesman.

He is a muppet of tremendous proportions…

Any basis to these statements!?

@Tigerdave:

Here’s the article here
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/who-is-the-real-benji-marshall/story-e6freye0-1226128538589

1. I bet this was only one player, Hindmarsh, hates benji and the Tigers !!

2. Take the piss out of Fittler, now surely that can’t be hard, he is in fairly land most of the time !! :crazy

Everyone with a bit of football knowledge knows the DT journos are tools. Webster and Rothfield must surely be trying to out-do each other on who can come up with the most ridiculous, outlandish claims leading into the finals. The thing is, the more rubbish they come up with, the more embarrassing they both look.

It makes you wonder who was the source of all those rumours a couple of months ago 👿 👿

They must have been burned this week, running all those stories on the sea eagles, told to leave manly
alone :bawling :bawling :bawling

God they must have hated Benji’s charges being dismissed, and not being able to run all the stories they had “heard” about Benji in the past . Utter utter filth
Maybe I have my wests tigers googles on, but I dont think you could ever call benji disrespectful

Go get em Benji 😃 😃 😃 😃

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.