Resting players *spoilers*

Melbourne tonight have rested several key players (Slater and Smith among others). The game is essentially a dead rubber, so the result is irrelevant, but I’m curious to know people’s thoughts on this. In my opinion it is a bad move, they beat the Knights next week they get a week off anyway, and if that happens then come week 3 of the finals Slater and Smith will have played 1 game each in just under a month. In the opening 20 of their prelim it is possible that their timing may be a little off with little match fitness, and that could be the difference between winning and losing, if they’re that worried about them they could just play them for 60 minutes and give them a rest at the end.

I do agree with the concept of resting a player if it means they won’t miss a game further on down the track but then you’d be doing it a month out from the finals. Round 26 seems a little conservative especially playing for a week off in your next game, and I’m predicting that it’ll come back to bite them on the bum.

If the players are injured then obviously it’s a good idea, if not they should play and keep the momentum going. Maybe they don’t want to risk any cheap shots from the rorters players??

Well, considering I picked the Storm and so far have tipped 7 from 8….I’m kinda ticked, so that’s my thoughts.

In saying that, it’s probably a good idea shakes fist at Bellamy for stuffing up a perfect round

@Tigerdave:

Well, considering I picked the Storm and so far have tipped 7 from 8….I’m kinda ticked, so that’s my thoughts.

In saying that, it’s probably a good idea shakes fist at Bellamy for stuffing up a perfect round

me too :slight_smile:

Picked the Roosters a few days before the game Just had a feeling about that game

I can understand the move even though it cost me a perfect card this weekend.

Through international duties, SOO campaign and the regular competition, Smith and Slater have been the best two players this season. They have to be tired. After recharging the batteries this week, thet will be primed to snot the knights next week and charge into the third week of the finals without too much effort.

They both still have a lot of football left this season.

@stryker:

I can understand the move even though it cost me a perfect card this weekend.

Through international duties, SOO campaign and the regular competition, Smith and Slater have been the best two players this season. They have to be tired. After recharging the batteries this week, thet will be primed to snot the knights next week and charge into the third week of the finals without too much effort.

They both still have a lot of football left this season.

They beat the knights and get a week off anyway. Why risk sending them into a prelim underdone? If they’re that bad Bellamy could just give them less game time against Easts, and again next week against the Knights if they have the game wrapped up. I think it’s a negative ploy.

Also now, the rest of the players have lost a lot of confidence, they couldn’t beat the Roosters without their big guns, will they become reliant on them to come up with the big plays in the finals?

Slater and Smith play the same game in rd1, rd13, rd26, Origin, Test match, GF……it doesnt matter. Those boys are never underdone.

I wouldnt have risked them in a dead rubber either. Bellamy gave them a week off for a season well done. He gave the bench players more game time for the same reason. Roosters played weell but make no mistake, Melbourne were only going through the motions because they had to play. The game meant nothing.

The loss wont effect Melbourne either…They’ll have their game face on next week end and unless Newcastle are perfect, will easily win.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.