LAID BACK LIAM ENJOYS FINALS WEEK

By Wayne Cousins

Liam Fulton remains as relaxed as ever on the eve of the clash with St George-Illawarra Dragons.
A laid back character with a great sense of humour, Fulton handled his media duties at Concord Oval with ease ahead of the much anticipated clash at ANZ Stadium this Friday night.
Asked what he thought of the Dragons and how they put two good wins together over the Warriors and Penrith following a string of losses, Fulton wasn’t fazed.
“Was that Warriors game on a Sunday?’’ he asked reporters.
“Sundays I usually take the Mrs out for lunch. Look after her. The important things,’’ Fulton quipped.
A quick giggle before game face appeared.
“The Dragons have turned the corner. They have a great squad, a great coach and I don’t expect them to give anything but great performances,’’ he added.
“Semi-finals are a different kind of game now. It is like a new season. They have had that experience of last year and they know how to win games. They will give it a really big shot.”
Good answers.
However, Fulton was back to his best when the next question was asked about how he felt over the decision to play the Wests Tigers home final at ANZ Stadium instead of the SFS.
“It is pretty close to home for me. I live at Northmead, so I’m pretty happy about it personally,’’ he said, smiling.
The focus then turned to Wests Tigers’ one point heart-breaking loss to the Dragons in the preliminary final last season.
“I haven’t really thought about that to be honest. They were the best team all last year and probably deserved to win the grand final,’’ Fulton admitted.
“It was disappointing we lost and that we didn’t make the grand final but you couldn’t take too much away from the Dragons. “
Asked about his thoughts on whether Chris Lawrence would return from a hamstring injury, Fulton was at it again.
“Yeah mate, I talked to him this morning. I think he said he was a chance. There’s a scoop,’’ Fulton
“He was out here running before everyone got to training.
“You can’t really replace someone like Chris Lawrence. Not taking anything away from Mitch Brown because he has been great for us as well and we have won a lot of games with Mitch Brown in the centres but having a quality Australian player like Chris Lawrence is enormous.
“He is only 22 and he is top quality, one of the best in the country.”
When quizzed about whether the team was in better shape than this time last season, Fulton struggled to recall the first semi-final.
“Oh that’s right, we lost our first semi-final to the Roosters after I threw a match winning ball to Shaun Kenny Dowall,’’ Fulton quipped.
The journalists chuckled once more. Later, with photographers around, he wrote ‘ecoslabs.com.au’ on some brown tape and stuck it to his hat to promote his latest business venture with prop Bryce Gibbs.
That’s Liam Fulton for you…relaxed off the field but a fierce competitor on it.

Ecoslabs what are they. Maybe I’ll just look it up.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.