LUI AND MARSHALL SHOW CAN ONLY GET BETTER

LUI AND MARSHALL SHOW CAN ONLY GET BETTER
By Wayne Cousins
7/09/2011 12:13:00 PM

Talented Wests Tigers half-back Rob Lui says there is plenty of room for improvement in his halves partnership with five-eighth Benji Marshall.

Lui has played 21 games this season, scoring five tries. His stats are impressive…13 line breaks, 14 line break assists and 12 try assists.

Marshall leads the way in all three stats…15 line breaks, 25 line break assists and 24 try assists.

Lui’s development as a half-back continues to bloom after starring as the playmaking five-eighth in the Wests Tigers U20s side in 2009 that reached the grand final.

He says his role is a simple one.

“My job is to take the pressure off Benji. He is our superstar. Whatever defence we line up against, they always try to stop him but there are other options as well like myself, Robbie Farah and Tim Moltzen,’’ Lui said.

“We then have centre Blake Ayshford who has been one of our best players this year. Between us, we take the pressure off Benji.

“I enjoy playing alongside Benji. We still have to work on our kicking game and on our combinations. We also need to take more runs so there is a lot to improve on.

“I tend to go out of the game when Benji takes over. I’ve learnt from that though and I try and take over from Benji and take the pressure off him so when he gets the ball, he can do his magic.”

Lui confirmed he will be at Wests Tigers next season after a media report linked him to the North Queensland Cowboys.

“I have one more year left on my contract and hopefully I can extend. I love it here, love the club and the boys have been good to me,’’ Lui said.

“My family are here too and we all love it here.”

Lui said his team-mates know they have to produce their ‘A game’ against premiers St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium this Friday night in the opening qualifying final.

“We have got some good momentum happening but the eight wins in a row mean nothing coming into this weekend,’’ he said.

“The Dragons are going to be tough. They have good forwards and fast backs.

“We took a lot out of the win (over the Dragons in round 22). It gave us momentum and confidence.

“There is some good rivalry there. They beat us in the preliminary final last year but we have to put that aside and just play the style of footy that we love to do.

“We love attacking but we can’t attack unless our defence is good. If our defence is good, we know we can beat any team in the comp.”

The best part of that story**: " I have one more year left on my contract and hopefully I can extend. I love it here, love the club and the boys have been good to me,’’ Lui said.

“My family are here too and we all love it here**.

Does that mean that the whole ‘homesick’ rumour has been quashed?

Yes i told u guys his re signing 5 year deal with us 😃😄

@tigersrule4life:

Funny…half way through the year that news would have had me scratching my head and doubting the wisdom of it. Now I am pumped to hear that news.

Whatever his problem was early this season has gone now and he is starting to really perform for us.

Great read and shares plenty of himself and his position in the club.

1. He shows his role in the team, taking pressure off the playmakers and involving himself when necessary (I find this the greatest of what was said, he may be our x factor come finals, Benji can disappear at times and if Rob can inject himself in these situations and take the pressure off “creating” something, we can go the whole way)

2. He is not going anywhere. (and why would he, when your playing for the greatest club)

3. He has identified areas of the game he hopes to improve which is fantastic.

I admit I have questioned many aspects of Lui’s game. But for a young man who was accused of some pretty bad things last year after the final, and to turn things around this year is pretty impressive I must say.

He seems like he is always learning and improving, his defense the past month has been great. And I will give credit where credit is due.

Well done Robert Lui.

Bring on those Dragqueens!!!

Posted using RoarFEED

Lui’s form has certainly improved lately and we will need him to be at his top in the games ahead. He is obviously thinking straight judging by this
“We love attacking but we can’t attack unless our defence is good. If our defence is good, we know we can beat any team in the comp.” Which says it all for me.

@tigersrule4life:

I wouldn’t be offering him a contract of that length, I think the 5 year deals should be limited to proven superstars, Benji, Robbie F and Lawrence fit the bill, a contract of that length for a developing player is to big a risk.
It shouldn’t be forgotton that only a few months ago people didn’t want a bar of lui (some of the crititcism fair, some over the top) This run of form as been good, but does not warrant a contract of 5 years, Parra made that mistake with D Mortimer.

As horrible as the whole situation is… I also attribute Lui’s form to having Liam starting 2nd row instead of Simon. I just think the whole “Old Head” and a very experienced campaigner / Great Defender by his side has seen him come along in Leaps and Bounds!!
Good on him, He was gold this time last year and I am expecting nothing less from him tomorrow!!
Anyone remember Hawthorns game plan on thier last premiership win?? The cats targeted thier go to man and highest point scorer of the year (Buddy Franklin) So Hawthorns game plan was to take Buddy out of the game… Really opened up for the other Quality Players, I’m not even sure if Buddy even scored any points that game. We could see the same thing here, The dragons have already expressed thier interest in shutting down Benji… Hopefully we can work our game around using that opportunity to make some space for Farah, Lui, Ellis and Fults.
I’m so excitied… I’m Salivating!!

Sorry, Batboy. On your own there, mate… I wouldn’t know one AFL team from another, let alone remember any individual games or players!

Great to hear Lui quoted as being happy and wanting to stay! I agree that his form wasn’t good at all in the middle of the year and perhaps there was something to the rumours of his discontent at the time? There certainly seemed to be something wrong with his attitude and application.

Either way, that seems to have been resolved and his defensive game has really improved which is the most pleasing aspect of his season. He inherently has the nouse and talent for attacking and ball-playing, and fortunately defence is something that can be taught - and I agree this improvement seems to have coincided with Liam playing alongside him in defence. It will be a big defensive test for him this weekend!

We have to remember he is still very young. And even though I am a Miller fan, I hope we can keep Lui in the team for a long time and continue to see him mature.

Lui man of the match this friday. plus 1st try scorer. you heard it hear first.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.