WESTS TIGERS BOW OUT OF U20S COMPETITION

WESTS TIGERS BOW OUT OF U20S COMPETITION
By Wayne Cousins, ANZ Stadium
9/09/2011 6:57:22 PM

Wests Tigers have tonight been eliminated from the U20s competition following a 48-26 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys at ANZ Stadium.

The seventh placed Wests Tigers fought hard to the end but the second placed Cowboys proved too slick in the end.

The Cowboys got off to a dream start when from the kick-off, winger Kyle Feldt brushed through the tackle of Curtis Sironen to race 40 metres before being tackled. On the last tackle, a bomb went up with Cowboys full-back Wayne Ulugia leaping above full-back James Tedesco to take the ball to score next to the posts.

Feldt converted the try for a 6-0 lead after one minute.

Wests Tigers hit back in the 9th minute when centre Tim Simona showed the ball inside and then dummied to find open space before linking up with Tedesco who sent hooker Ben Saunders to plant the ball down one handed on the line. The try was awarded on the benefit of the doubt after the ball rolled away.

Half-back Jacob Miller converted the try for a 6-6 scoreline.

Sironen saved a try for Wests Tigers in the 14th minute when he took Cowboys centre Moses Pangai into touch just a metre from the tryline.

A minute later, a cut out pass by Tedesco 10 metres out from the Cowboys line saw the ball go over the head of winger Marika Koroibete.

Cowboys half-back Michael Morgan threw a dummy to get past prop Sebastian Vourlos to race 30 metres downfield to link up with five-eighth Michael Parker-Walshe to score under the posts in the 20th minute. Feldt converted the try for a 12-6 lead after 22 minutes.

Morgan extended the Cowboys lead to 16-6 in the 24th minute when he stepped inside Sironen and beat the tackle of second-rower Mason Taloula to score from 10 metres out. Feldt converted the try for an 18-6 lead.

A good cut out pass by Tedesco saw winger Limoni Kamuta dive over in the right corner in the 29th minute for a 18-10 scoreline. Miller failed to convert the try from the sideline.

Replacement forward Mosese Fotuaika showed brute strength to beat three defenders in a 15 metre run to score under the posts. Miller converted the try to leave Wests Tigers trailing 18-16 after 34 minutes.

Three minutes later, Cowboys centre John Koko finished off a backline play when he stepped inside the scrambling defence to score out wide for a 22-16 scoreline. Feldt curled the ball in between the posts for a 24-16 scoreline after 38 minutes.

A minute later, the Cowboys scored a 70 metre try from the kick-off when Parker-Walshe scored next to the posts after an initial break by forward Nathan Norford. Feldt converted the try to give the Cowboys a 30-16 lead at half-time.

2nd Half
Cowboys back-rower Jason Taumalolo barnstormed through five defenders to score in the corner in the 44th minute for a 34-16 scoreline. Feldt failed to convert the try.

Wests Tigers hit back soon after when a Sironen grubber kick saw Kamuta score his second try. Miller failed to convert the try from the sideline.

Saunders was held up over the line in the 64th minute. It didn’t matter though as two players later, centre David Nofoaluma dived over in the corner to leave Wests Tigers trailing 34-24. Miller nailed it from the sideline for a 34-26 scoreline after 66 minutes.

The Cowboys stole the ball off Nofoaluma from a dummy half run resulting in a try in the corner to winger Zac Santo for a 38-26 scoreline. Feldt converted the try from the sideline for a 40-26 score after 73 minutes.

Feldt then rubbed further salt into the wound when he landed a long range penalty goal two minutes later for a 42-26 scoreline.

Parke-Walshe then scored his third try in the left corrner for a 46-26 scoreline. Feldt converted the try from the sideline for the 48-26 scoreline.

Wests Tigers can be proud of their achievements this season with Coach Grant Jones producing some very exciting young talent for next season.

There is some players in that side with some major tackling issues.

Dont know about you guys but i thought that game was terrible.

The sooner they bring back reserve grade the better. U/20’s is a bubble gum version of NRL

must admit U20’s is a tad above touch footy…The gap between U20 and NRL is wider than Sydney heads…so to the guys, like Groat, Woods, BMM, Lui who have made the step up l congratulate you…

There is a very big gap between 20’s and NRL. Age should be lifted to Under 23’s

Guys like Simona Miller Groat and BMM seem to look better playing NRL than they do playing NYC…Why is that ?

They were up and down all year so i guess they didnt deserve to go any further.Got lots of talent though.

I think the 20s is always going to be a big difference in standard for a variety of reasons but that most of these would be exactly the same if not worse in an u23s comp. Firstly the best players are sometimes take out of the 20s to play NRL, also the difference between the best and worst players is obviously wider as the NRL teams produce 25 players over 10 year groups roughly while in the 20s each year you have a new age group of who only approx 10% will only go onto be First graders. These problems would still occur in U23s but the quality would be worse because 99% of FG have become FG by 23

@boonboon:

I think the 20s is always going to be a big difference in standard for a variety of reasons but that most of these would be exactly the same if not worse in an u23s comp. Firstly the best players are sometimes take out of the 20s to play NRL, also the difference between the best and worst players is obviously wider as the NRL teams produce 25 players over 10 year groups roughly while in the 20s each year you have a new age group of who only approx 10% will only go onto be First graders. These problems would still occur in U23s but the quality would be worse because 99% of FG have become FG by 23

Had to read that a couple of times but yeah I guess that would be true…the best kids are taken out early to play NRL… and I suppose your right most of the good ones wouldn’t still be hanging around at under 23 they would be playing in NRL.

some games this year our under 20s team have looked excellent (like that game against storm at leichhardt oval this year) and some games they have looked terrible. i think our under 20s team need an assistant coach who can really help with defense (which i think is happening next year with payten)

Some interesting facts in relation to 20’s, a full set of 6 takes about 10 secs less in 20’s, as they obviously dont wrestle as well and dont work anywhere near as well in defensive units, hence the bigger scorelines.

It doesn’t matter if you make it reserve grade or 20’s or 23’s the gap between them will be big, due to the difference between professional footballers and amatuers. One of the draw backs of professional football, soon as you exhaust the players in your full time squad and bring in an amatuer the gap is huge

@alien:

some games this year our under 20s team have looked excellent (like that game against storm at leichhardt oval this year) and some games they have looked terrible. i think our under 20s team need an assistant coach who can really help with defense (which i think is happening next year with payten)

Your right alien… Defence is a big problem but so is scoring tries.

I have seen them camped on the opposition try line for 20 minutes and still not know how to score a try. They don’t seem to have enough set plays and they don’t use decoy runners…they just don’t exist in Tigers NYC.

It’s just the same plays with the forwards bashing it up the middle (Do they realise they are actually one of the smallest packs in the comp?). They also try and hit the fullback out the back but with Miller running sideways and no decoys…it doesn’t work.

@Blackandwhite:

There is a very big gap between 20’s and NRL. Age should be lifted to Under 23’s

Guys like Simona Miller Groat and BMM seem to look better playing NRL than they do playing NYC…Why is that ?

Playing around better players would help greatly
Its like when you play golf with a low handicapper who is playing well He seems to help everyone in the group play better

tackling was disgraceful. too many players happy to run the ball but cant or wont tackle. warren mcdonnell should send them back to nz or keebra or wherever they came from and get local players who will tackle. but i guess its all about the size instead of ability. neil begovich is the only forward in that team i would feed.

Watched the game on Friday night & thought the tackling was shocking, some of these blokes look like they have never been shown how to tackle. Ireally think we should have a proper reserve grade & a under 23s, the standard would be so much better, but this wont happem because of costs.

@tigerbenji:

Watched the game on Friday night & thought the tackling was shocking, some of these blokes look like they have never been shown how to tackle.

Its not called tackling anymore its called wrestling……Use your shoulder…What…really are we allowed ?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.