Aaron Woods and Matt Groat!

Sheesh, these two boys are a gift from God. For a club that has struggled for years for hard running props, to have TWO teenage behemoths come into grade in one year and both stand up to the extent they have is nothing short of a miracle. Woods has aggression, cockiness, leg drive and a great offload. Groat has tenacity, power and the ability to hit and stick. These kids are both still eligible for NYC! We’ve seen the likes of Sam McKendry, himself now a stalwart prop at the Panthers, come into the NRL, make an impact, but struggle for consistency. Likewise when Kade Snowden first burst onto the scene. The best props always take time. These boys are the opposite! They came in, did enough to keep their spots (a lot for a kid!) and then just went from strength to strength! Woods has run over 150m in a game already! I have seen both Groat and Woods pull down free running backs in broken field play multiple times already ala Bryce Gibbs. It’s sad to lose Gibbs, and I wish we weren’t because Gibbs/Galloway/Groat/Woods would be the best prop rotation in the NRL next year but these two guys will both be better than Gibbs by next year imo. We are truly blessed to have found them.

Groat has a fantastic ability to read around the ruck.

@Cultured Bogan:

Very True. But Fifita is a better player.

@Balmain Bug:

@Cultured Bogan:

Very True. But Fifita is a better player.

We will have to agree to disagree on that Bug. Both Groat and Woods are showing they can be tight around the ruck and dangerous with the pill without the need for running lines or fending. They play without fear and toil. Fifita is an explosive player, best played off the bench and for short stints which is not ideal if your starting pigs cannot play big minutes. He will fit in at Cronulla if Gallen and a second rower play the full 80 minutes every game. Groat and Woods are the type of player that can either come off the bench or start the game and thus are more versatile.

Like I said though, we will have to disagree on this. I am very excited for the future of our forward stocks with the likes of Woods and Groat coming through. I am keen to see whether Begovich gets a look as well.

I disagree stoutly that Fifita is better than either of these guys. Fifita is a fend with legs. He has nothing else. If a player beats his fend he’s toast.

Both unbelievable players for their age. Can’t wait for them to develop even more over the next couple of years. My only fault in them is that they both can give away stupid penalties. Other than that their attack and defence is brilliant.

fifta would not lace groats boots next season, how good will he be with a full of season behind him, and woods he be anything thing hes a champion allready. GO THE TIGERS. 😃

it only gets better. the two front rowers from our 20’s are great at running forward! definitely good prospects!

@Luke:

Both unbelievable players for their age. Can’t wait for them to develop even more over the next couple of years. My only fault in them is that they both can give away stupid penalties. Other than that their attack and defence is brilliant.

All young props will. Whether it be hands on the ball in the tackle, holding the attacker down for too long or PTB infringements, they get better at this as they age. For mine, Woods has improved vastly throughout the year in this respect and Groat gave two cheap penalties against Manly which I chalk up to exuberance rather than ill discipline.

I was really impressed with the 20’s forwards tonight. The halves were the ones who failed for mine, and they’re supposed to be the best halves combo in the NYC!

Begovich is great but Fotuiaka, Vourlous and Masueli really run hard and Masueli is an absolute monster. 125kg at least.

@Cultured Bogan:

@Luke:

All young props will. Whether it be hands on the ball in the tackle, holding the attacker down for too long or PTB infringements, they get better at this as they age. For mine, Woods has improved vastly throughout the year in this respect and Groat gave two cheap penalties against Manly which I chalk up to exuberance rather than ill discipline.

I reckon the referees actually penalise the rookies more harshly too tbh. Sort of teaching them the differences in a tough love way. Some of the penalties I’ve seen Groat get pinged for are a joke. Like when he had his hand on the guy getting up’s shoulder. He wasn’t even putting weight on it, it was just there for no good reason, but he got pinged.

@MacDougall:

I was really impressed with the 20’s forwards tonight. The halves were the ones who failed for mine, and they’re supposed to be the best halves combo in the NYC!

Begovich is great but Fotuiaka, Vourlous and Masueli really run hard and Masueli is an absolute monster. 125kg at least.

which one is the number 10?
he is already a huge kid and still has alot of filling out to do! runs straight and hard also

That was Vourlos I think. Maseuli was the big bloke in the 15.

@MacDougall:

That was Vourlos I think. Maseuli was the big bloke in the 15.

they may of been onto something when they said they wanted to hold onto our young forwards!

I enjoy some of your comments bug but no offence Fifita doesn’t do the hard yards, he’s a crab. He will take on the line, bust a tackle but then go sideways. Groat and Woods just play straight, if they bust they look for the offload or hit them again (therefore with a much better chance of making ground, yet keeping the team at the centre of the park). I don’t doubt Fifita’s ability, but these boys are already playing like good front rowers do. They are gonna be the goods for us next year.

Posted using RoarFEED

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.