The transition has been made.

Defence. Since the bye rounds ended the tigers have the 3rd best Defence amongst the top 8 teams. At 14.75 ppg against. Only manly 11 ppg and Melbourne 13.5 ppg have better stats defensively. It’s rarely talked about for us bit this is a massive improvement and this is why folkes leaving is a massive loss.

Obviously the tigers fans over look this too

In last nights game against St George, nothing was surer when the Tigers went in to half down down 12-6. There is no way the Dragons would score 20 against us with our recent defence, but we could score 20 against them easy, so I was very confident. (As confident as us Wests Tigers supporters can be)

It has been a massive effort by our team this year and us supporters thank you guys for it!

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that since Folksey has been on board our success has been evident in making the top 4 in 2010 and 2011. The extra bit of fitness and mental toughness has won us a lot of games that previous to 2010 would of seen us drop our bundle and lose by 20, last night being a prime example. You can’t take credit away from Tim Sheens but I think Folkes has been the huge difference in our success!

One of the players gave Folkes a lot of credit for the team defence.

They did defend well for most of the game, the only slump was after Benji scored that first try, it was as though they were all a bit shocked by it and lost their way. Perhaps the interchange had something to do with that as well?

Liam mentioned Folkes and the improvement in defence in his MOM acceptance.

Lots of big gang and support tackles from the boys last night. Over the last few months, the team have got better at limiting the number of offloads against us. I’ve noticed Ellis likes to hang back a bit from the other tacklers to shut down the offload.

Regarding Folkes’ impact on conditioning, the Tigers seemed to tire and struggle after Galloway went off around the 20min mark. At half time I was concerned about our fitness however we went into an extra gear following the break. In past seasons, that game would have run away from us.

Yes, that’s right it was Liam.

I also thought that perhaps that drop in intensity in the first half might have also been a product of being so pumped. Sometimes if you are too pumped it sucks a lot of emotional energy and drains the body like a physical effort. Benji scores that unexpected try and all of a sudden everyone is tired.

The energy does return though, I noticed Keith wasn’t off for too long.

I think he only had a 10 min break Barra.

Not sure if stats can support this, but I feel the opposition seem to score their points whilst Galloway is being subbed

@smoking gun:

Obviously the tigers fans over look this too

I dont think so mate….our defense is regularly praised on here. Apart from mid season where a few werent making the extra effort to complete the tackle, it is the major influence in our season turning around.

@AJ*:

I think he only had a 10 min break Barra.

Not sure if stats can support this, but I feel the opposition seem to score their points whilst Galloway is being subbed

i know we lost our go forward when he was off. groat needs to put in more offensively

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.