ROB LUI REMAINS THE MAN AT 7

ROB LUI REMAINS THE MAN AT 7
By Wayne Cousins
10/09/2011 4:46:23 PM

A dominant performance in the win over St George-Illawarra again showed why Robert Lui is the man for the number seven jersey at Wests Tigers.

Lui was on song at ANZ Stadium on Friday night, having a strong hand in tries to Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington.

His form again highlighted the faith Head Coach Tim Sheens has in the talented playmaker and why Tim Moltzen was moved to full-back.

Lui’s efforts again silenced his critics and again pledged his alliance to Wests Tigers following a newspaper report linking him to the North Queensland Cowboys.

“I don’t worry about what people say. Tim told me he wanted me in the number 7,’’ Lui said.

“I know I am the number one half-back here at the Wests Tigers. I don’t know where the rumours of me going to the Cowboys came from but I’m not going anywhere. I love the Club and they have been very good to me. I’m staying at the Wests Tigers.”

Lui’s performance in the first qualifying final was reminiscent to his solid showing against the Dragons 12 months ago when beaten in the preliminary final. He says enjoys playing the men in red and white.

“I don’t know why, it is just a thing. Maybe because they beat us last year. I just wanted to beat them, that’s all,’’ Lui said.

“Any team wants to beat the opposition in semi-finals footy.

“It was good to get a win. The Dragons are a top team but at the end of the day, the boys stuck in. We all did our one per centers.

“Last year’s final was in the back of our minds when things were down. The boys were saying ‘remember this, remember that’.

“Our defence won us the game. It was a good win but there is still a long way to go.”

As for his beautiful short ball to Heighington, Lui recalled it with a smile.

“Benji just called a play. I went out the back and had options, short or long, and I hit short. I hit the right bloke,’’ Lui said.

“It was all in one moment. It was like a blurb but plays like that can win you games. And it won us the game.”

Good on him. Great to hear he is happy, and that he wants to stay.

@barra:

Good on him. Great to hear he is happy, and that he wants to stay.

Agreed mate nice to hear. Keep it up Rob and you’ll win the lot.

Lui is an integral part of the Tigers attack. Yes his defence is a little suspect at times but he makes up for that in spades with his attack. The tigers are a so much more formidable opponent when we have 3 points of attack in Marshall, Farah and Lui. I hope he stays with the Tigers for many years to come. GO THE TIGERS!

I don’t know what the stats are, but he’d definately be up there when it comes to linebreaks from a half-back. And can you believe the guy’s only 22? He’s still a kid. When he started out last season, i cringed every time he got the ball, waiting for him to screw up a beautiful play, now he’s an integral part of the machine. I don’t think they could replace him, he’s adapted to their playing style so well and he’s the perfect compliment to (sigh) Benji.

I gotta say, I used to bag Lui out after almost every game but over the past month or so I’ve come to really like him. I hope he stays a good long while.

Was good to see him kiss the Tigers logo on his jersey!

I think in attack he has surpassed Prince and he will only get better as he gets more games.

As I have said elsewhere on here if we dont win it this year we will claim a title within the next two.

His passing game is second to none

Posted using RoarFEED

he will only get better - reminds me of cliff lyons a little - same speed - exceptional in distrubution. the future looks bright for us. 6 and 7 is the heart beat. the best part is he compliments benji’s style of play. lui all over prince this year.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.