So the dragons become higher ranked then us if.

Another joke of the finals system. we finished 4th dragons finished 5th, we beat dragons, we then beat warriors but then the dragons beat broncos, all of a sudden the dragons become a higher ranked team then us a team that finished lower then us and a team We beat and we havn’t lost a finals game.

so what is the point of finishing 4th and winning? you don’t even control your own destiny the lower placed teams can shot up higher ranked then you with 1 win even though you finish higher then them. hell the knights would have been higher ranked then us if they won Sunday, 4th and 3rd place get punished for winning!!

I havent looked at that. But the finals series format needs to be changed. I know that people say every system has issues but ours seems to have way too many. I cant remember the issue with the AFL format. Is it that if 1st or 2nd loss in first week they cant meet in grand final? If thats the only issue I dont see a problem with that.

@Golden:

Another joke of the finals system. we finished 4th dragons finished 5th, we beat dragons, we then beat warriors but then the dragons beat broncos, all of a sudden the dragons become a higher ranked team then us a team that finished lower then us and a team We beat and we havn’t lost a finals game.

so what is the point of finishing 4th and winning? you don’t even control your own destiny the lower placed teams can shot up higher ranked then you with 1 win even though you finish higher then them. hell the knights would have been higher ranked then us if they won Sunday, 4th and 3rd place get punished for winning!!

Yeah Golden But the Broncos could say the same thing this weekend They are higher ranked than us but play the team higher ranked than we are playing ie Saint George were 5th ranked team and Warriors were the sixth ranked team

@happy tiger:

@Golden:

Yeah Golden But the Broncos could say the same thing this weekend They are higher ranked than us but play the team higher ranked than we are playing ie Saint George were 5th ranked team and Warriors were the sixth ranked team

That is a very good point I didn’t think of it like that

it is worse if there is an upset!

If there is 1 upset aginast the the top 3 sides, the reward for the winner of 4v5, is a match against a top 3 side.

worse system ever

here we again Golden. As Ink said you must lead such a fun life. why don’t you look at it this way? we have to go through the Warriors and then go to Melbourne. Saints have to go to Brisbane, then come up against Manly. So they have to through teams three and two, and we have to through teams six and one. Thats hardly much of an advantage
but you’d never look at it like that, because thats looking at the positives

@GNR4LIFE:

here we again Golden. As Ink said you must lead such a fun life. why don’t you look at it this way? we have to go through the Warriors and then go to Melbourne. Saints have to go to Brisbane, then come up against Manly. So they have to through teams three and two, and we have to through teams six and one. Thats hardly much of an advantage

You and Ink are the same person I get it now.

what am I suppose to start a thread and just say go the tigers?? thats pretty boring if thats all you want but you want that I will do it now

@Golden:

@GNR4LIFE:

what am I suppose to start a thread and just say go the tigers?? thats pretty boring if thats all you want but you want that I will do it now

Saints have to play in Brisbane this week, and the Tigers play the Warriors in sydney. How do Saints have it any easier?

@GNR4LIFE:

@Golden:

@GNR4LIFE:

Saints have to play in Brisbane this week, and the Tigers play the Warriors in sydney. How do Saints have it any easier?

They don’t have to go to Melborune a team who they have a shocking record against like us. they get to play in Sydney against Manly (if they win) where they will at least get 50% of their fans at the ground cheering them on.

The way it should be and the way the NFL do it is with seeding, if we win we play Manly if dragons win they play Storm, if warriors win they play storm if Broncos win they play Manly. So the only way we shouldn’t be playing the storm is if Broncos win which would be fair enough

btw this thread is not meant to be negative about the tigers its negative about the stupid system we have

i like that idea of seeding teams, makes it a bit fairer

I still prefer the old top 5 system. Finishing 8th isn’t really that big an achievement with 16 sides in a comp. It’s like saying you are the average side if you run 8th …

Basically both NRL and AFL systems have one fundamental flaw.

In NRL, Wk2 normally has an artificial cross-over to prevent the same teams playing each other twice if results go according to rankings. I.e. if teams 1-4 win as expected, if you were to reward team 3 by playing the lowest loser left in the tournament, they would play team 6 again.

In AFL, the weakness is that teams 1 and 5 don’t get much advantage for their position; only a home game. That’s great if you have a regional fortress like Melbourne, Brisvegas or Auckland, but half the teams would be playing at ANZ/SFS. Team 4 gets a shot at a week off, but team 5 gets sudden death. Team 1 gets to play at home, but against team 4 who are highly ranked. Esp with so many teams in Sydney, for example if Manly came first this year, under the AFL system week one would see Manly “at home” to the Tigers at ANZ, with the winner getting a week off.

@jirskyr:

Basically both NRL and AFL systems have one fundamental flaw.

In NRL, Wk2 normally has an artificial cross-over to prevent the same teams playing each other twice if results go according to rankings. I.e. if teams 1-4 win as expected, if you were to reward team 3 by playing the lowest loser left in the tournament, they would play team 6 again.

In AFL, the weakness is that teams 1 and 5 don’t get much advantage for their position; only a home game. That’s great if you have a regional fortress like Melbourne, Brisvegas or Auckland, but half the teams would be playing at ANZ/SFS. Team 4 gets a shot at a week off, but team 5 gets sudden death. Team 1 gets to play at home, but against team 4 who are highly ranked. Esp with so many teams in Sydney, for example if Manly came first this year, under the AFL system week one would see Manly “at home” to the Tigers at ANZ, with the winner getting a week off.

I both agree and disagree with your position.

As you say 4 has a chance of going straight through, but 5 is in a sudden death game. However to go straight through 4 has to beat 1 away, where as 1 plays 8 at home, a far easier game.

I think the Afl system is far superior (if not perfect), the crossover is as issue, as you say in the back end of the semies the odd teams have it harder in the more important game (1 plays 3, as opposed to 2 v 4), i think this although not perfect i can live with

@Golden:

@GNR4LIFE:

Golden my first thought was here we go again too. but that NFL suggestion is a great one and something id never heard of before. so good work on the positive suggestion, now send it to the NRL.

One of the funny things about all these discussions over which system is better is that the current AFL system was used by the ARL in '95 and '96. However, in '95 the ARL didn’t use the “cross over” format, meaning that if the results had gone according to ranking the top four games from week 1 would have repeated in week 3. They didn’t, though, 'cause the Knights and Bulldogs made it through the first two weeks from 5th and 6th respectively.

They crossed over in '96, with the 2v3 loser playing the winner of 5v8 and the 1v4 loser playing the winner of 6v7. In that season the Broncos finished 2nd but went 0-2 in the finals, but if they had won in week two they would have been playing the 1st placed Sea Eagles in week three.

The ARL had a “top 7” in '97, the Super League season. In '98, the first NRL season, when the two comps came together we had 20 teams and a five-week top ten finals series! The McIntyre System was then introduced in '99. Ironically, the AFL used it from '94 to '99 and then scrapped it in favour of the ARL system from '96. So BOTH codes copied each other!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.