What ever happens from here, it is a good year

Although I’d love to win the comp, the reality is, only team can win it, and god I hope it is us.

But I reckon given the injuries we have had for the year, to recover and finish top 4 and win our first semi is a good year.
We have unearthed some good young talent in Woods, BMM and Groat. Benji has gone to another level. Lui is improving.
There has been a number of good moments this year, the win against Manly, the comeback against the warriors 2 of my favourites.

Winning 9 straight is an amazing effort.

Overall its been a good year, 3 more wins and it is an amazing year, but worse comes to worse and we lose this weekend or next, ill look back on the year fondly.

Yeah I couldn’t agree more we expected to make the top 4 at the start of the year so we did that. and after that eels game I thought we were looking at bottom 3 when Farah saidthis team will fight on for the week and keep going he wasn’t wrong at all we have not lost since I remmeber thinking that quote by Robbie will either turn us around or it’s just a cliche

i reckon its a good year for us if we make the prelimnary final. if we lose this week ill be a tad disappointed, seeing as i think we r definetly one of the top 4 teams in this comp

Sorry to be a downer, but I don’t agree.

Every team has injuries, suspensions, players moving on mid season etc etc.

I want to see continuous improvement and compared to last year in my opinion we need to make the Grand Final for it to be considered a good year.

Considering the way the team talked themselves up at the start of the year and the optimism I felt from this and the Tigers roster etc I really believe anything less than a grand final experience will be considered a failure.

I am not disputing that there havent been positives this year including the emeregence of key youngsters but you never know what next year will bring (remember the 2006 season).

I hated the excuse that players moving on next year affected the team so much. Every club goes through these dramas every year and the players got an unbelievable run together despite the team performance from 2006-2009.

Anyways thats just my 2 cents

IT HAS NOT BEEN A GOOD YEAR YET.

Some shocking displays during the premiership rounds.

One State of origin rep. (who played 8 minutes)

One good half of Semi’s football.

Lets smash the Warriors and unleash hell and fury against News Limited in Melbourne on the 24th.

Then it will be a good year.

@Balmain Bug:

1. Some shocking displays during the premiership rounds.

2. One State of origin rep. (who played 8 minutes)

3. One good half of Semi’s football.

Lets smash the Warriors and unleash hell and fury against News Limited in Melbourne on the 24th.

1. Yes we were terrible during some of the premiership rounds, but are you going to tell me our season was worse than the Dragons who got run down near on half a dozen times at the business end of the season? Our run was well timed, and we’re still yet to hit that top gear with all our first choice players being available. Our club has had it’s left edge in tatters since round five, with Ellis, Lawrence and Tuqiri all spending extended periods on the other side of the spectators fence. Couple that with repeated injuries to Payten, McKinnon & a four week sidelining for Utai. Our young forwards have both stepped up when called upon and have been instrumental in laying a platform for Benji and Lui to weave their magic.

2. That’s not Sheen’s fault or responsibility. You can bet your bottom dollar that Lawrence would have been there and Farah while less than spectacular at the time, arguably could have been there. Prejudices and nepotism are as much a determining factor for SOO selection in NSW as form is.

3. I saw two good halves of defensive work and one good half of attacking football. The team found the gear right when it mattered and it flustered St Merge and ultimately they snuffed themselves out of the game.

As far as I’m concerned, another top four finish and Preliminary Final berth is a another good season. Everything is just gravy thereon in.

@angry ant:

Sorry to be a downer, but I don’t agree.

Every team has injuries, suspensions, players moving on mid season etc etc.

I want to see continuous improvement and compared to last year in my opinion we need to make the Grand Final for it to be considered a good year.

Considering the way the team talked themselves up at the start of the year and the optimism I felt from this and the Tigers roster etc I really believe anything less than a grand final experience will be considered a failure.

I am not disputing that there havent been positives this year including the emeregence of key youngsters but you never know what next year will bring (remember the 2006 season).

I hated the excuse that players moving on next year affected the team so much. Every club goes through these dramas every year and the players got an unbelievable run together despite the team performance from 2006-2009.

Anyways thats just my 2 cents

I get your point re progression and so forth, last year we only won 1 semi, we’ve already done that now, I think once you get to the knock out stage of the comp, it is a bit of luck, if we play good footy this week and get beat by a point, does it all of a sudden mean it is a bad year?? I dont think so.

for what its worth, I think we will win on friday, the week after will be a tough ask.

I dont think we can call it a good year yet. Realistically we were disapponting until 9 weeks ago, never looked like challenging. But we recoveedr and had a good back half of the season. Now we have a semi final we really should win, if we lose i will be disappionted in the year fullstop. To go out to the warriors would leave a bitter after taste.

But the potential next game against Melbourne is a different story, we win and make GF, we have done well. We simply lose to a better team on the night but play well, will be disappointed but would still say good year. If we play bad and get smashed i will be disappointed.

If its going to be a good year we have to perform now when it really matters.

@tigerdan:

I dont think we can call it a good year yet. Realistically we were disapponting until 9 weeks ago, never looked like challenging. But we recoveedr and had a good back half of the season. Now we have a semi final we really should win, if we lose i will be disappionted in the year fullstop. To go out to the warriors would leave a bitter after taste.

But the potential next game against Melbourne is a different story, we win and make GF, we have done well. We simply lose to a better team on the night but play well, will be disappointed but would still say good year. If we play bad and get smashed i will be disappointed.

Maybe look at the positives TigerDan we have brought through some amazing talent in the forwards and backs (Simona looks promising ) We managed to make some big calls with player movement and we still finished 4th despite using 31 players throughout the year with our whole left side out of action for the vast majority
Making the top 4 under those circumstances and we have at least already equalled last seasons performances in my opinion

If we show up on friday night and play the way we did in the second half last week, we’re heading towards a good year. If we play like we did in tbe first half, it will end up being a bad year. We have to show up on the day

Posted using RoarFEED

@Cultured Bogan:

@Balmain Bug:

1. Some shocking displays during the premiership rounds.

2. One State of origin rep. (who played 8 minutes)

3. One good half of Semi’s football.

1. Yes we were terrible during some of the premiership rounds, but are you going to tell me our season was worse than the Dragons who got run down near on half a dozen times at the business end of the season? Our run was well timed, and we’re still yet to hit that top gear with all our first choice players being available. Our club has had it’s left edge in tatters since round five, with Ellis, Lawrence and Tuqiri all spending extended periods on the other side of the spectators fence. Couple that with repeated injuries to Payten, McKinnon & a four week sidelining for Utai. Our young forwards have both stepped up when called upon and have been instrumental in laying a platform for Benji and Lui to weave their magic.

2. That’s not Sheen’s fault or responsibility. You can bet your bottom dollar that Lawrence would have been there and Farah while less than spectacular at the time, arguably could have been there. Prejudices and nepotism are as much a determining factor for SOO selection in NSW as form is.

3. I saw two good halves of defensive work and one good half of attacking football. The team found the gear right when it mattered and it flustered St Merge and ultimately they snuffed themselves out of the game.

As far as I’m concerned, another top four finish and Preliminary Final berth is a another good season. Everything is just gravy thereon in.

i agree completely with your reply Bogan and im glad you did as i felt a reply was needed but i couldn’t be bothered.

I see the NRL as two seperate competitions - 26 premiership rounds and the 4 finals.

For the premiership rounds there are 3 goals:
1. Make the 8 - achieved.
2. Score a home semifinal - achieved.
3. Secure the minor premiership - failed. There were mitigating circumstances this year that made this almost impossible. Our woeful injury toll was so dibilitating that I’m sure other top 4 sides would not have finished where they did if they suffered the same. However once again SOO did not disrupt us as it did the other top 4 sides.

I score our season a 7/10.

For the finals:
1. Play each game like a knockout. Do not drop games even though you may be able to - achieved.
2. Keep on winning. No matter where the games are held. We wont recieve true home semis like the Broncs and Storm will however winning against all sides at all grounds is what makes you a great side. To win the comp we need 3 wins in Sydney and 1 win in Melbourne. That is more than achieveable.

Just making the GF is a successful finals campaign.

For mine I am happy to be in week 2 of the finals considering how hard it has been for the club to even be there however if we do not make the prelims I’ll see the season as a whole to be a failure. Given the sabotage of the refs ruck rulings, horrid injury toll and the 2 months of off field bull crap if we make the GF it’ll be a roaring success and if we win the whole show……

@happy tiger:

@tigerdan:

Maybe look at the positives TigerDan we have brought through some amazing talent in the forwards and backs (Simona looks promising ) We managed to make some big calls with player movement and we still finished 4th despite using 31 players throughout the year with our whole left side out of action for the vast majority
Making the top 4 under those circumstances and we have at least already equalled last seasons performances in my opinion

I’m not saying there hasnt been positives this year, and as you say, considering the some issues we have had, we have done well to finish 4th and set ourselfs up well for next year.

But in the end, THIS year we have a team good enough team to win the comp. And if we bow out meekly, either by losing to the warriors, who we are much better than, or not competing properly with the teams who are our peers in the comp. I cant possibly see this year as a success. You don;t get many chances to win a premiership, nows the time to make this year a success.

If someone had told me at the start of the season we wouldn’t have our entire first choice left edge for a large portion of the season, use 31 players due to injuries, lose Simon Dwyer & rowdy to potentially career threatening injuries, have Benji run down by a backrower and have moltzen playing in the centres for a large portion of the year and then tell me we would finish 4th i wouldn’t have believed them.

I think the boys have done exceptionally well considering what the season has thrown at us to get to the same point as last year.

I’m confident the boys have it in them to send gibbo, payten and moltz off with a premiership but for me, everything here on in is a bonus.

Like others Iam very happy to be where we are at now and anything from here on in is a bonus. All the teams left are quality sides and have a good shot at holding the trophy on grand final day. We were scratchy for most part of the year due to injuries, player cleanout and just plain bad form but when they had to they produced the goods.

My gut feeling we will get over the Warriors, but that might be it for 2011. As for 2012, things look great, a stronger roster and a big off season for the likes of Woods,Groat and BMM, Farah gets that groin attended to and Sheens plucks another kid or two from nowhere and makes them into a Fgrader

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.