First time 1,2,3 and 4 all won first week

This year is the first time that the top ranked teams all won against the bottom ranked teams
Muat admit (even though we won) That this first weeks Semis were the worst quality games I think I have ever seen And they promised so much !!!

Yeah week 1 was a let down however from here on in they will all be classics.

At the start of the finals nearly everyone said that there were 5 real chances at the title - Melbourne, Manly, Brisbane, Tigers and Dragons.

All teams are still alive with the totally unpredictable Warriors thrown in for good measure.

Going to be a very exciting 3 weeks I’d say….

I would say the Tigers v Dragons was the best match of the round.

@genoshan:

Easily the best match of the round
Cowboys v Manly had potential but the Cowboys self imploded
Has anyone seen a team do what happened to cowboys before in a semi before ???

@happy tiger:

@genoshan:

Easily the best match of the round
Cowboys v Manly had potential but the Cowboys self imploded
Has anyone seen a team do what happened to cowboys before in a semi before ???

Dogs vs Broncos 2006, Dogs were up 20-6 at halftime and lose 37-20.

I stand corrected Well done MM

One of the greatest chokes ever, Brian Smith and Nathan Brown would have been very proud.

I expected the Cowboys to get thrashed, but didn’t expect the Warriors to be beaten so easily. The Knights did way better than I thought they would and our game was definitely the pick of the weekend.

this is what happens when you have the McIntyre system in place. Week 1 of the finals is alwayz bound to throw up rubbish games week 1 with this joke of a system. Imagaine if you had the top 4 teams playing each other week 1 and the bottom 4 fighting for survival. Guarentee ratings and crowd numbers would be a whole lot better

@GNR4LIFE:

this is what happens when you have the McIntyre system in place. Week 1 of the finals is alwayz bound to throw up rubbish games week 1 with this joke of a system. Imagaine if you had the top 4 teams playing each other week 1 and the bottom 4 fighting for survival. Guarentee ratings and crowd numbers would be a whole lot better

If we’d had the AFL system I’m guessing we’d have got the following (based on form last weekend):

MELBOURNE v Tigers (we’d never have got out of the first half only six points behind).
Manly v BRISBANE
DRAGONS v Knights
Warriors v COWBOYS

So Melbourne and Brisbane get the week off. This weekend would be Tigers home to Dragons and Manly home to Cowboys. Results as before and the preliminary finals are Melbourne v Manly in Melbourne and Brisbane v Tigers in Brisbane.

I don’t really know what I’m trying to prove here - just mucking about really. I massively prefer the AFL system but it does look like we’d end up with similar results either way this season. Frankly I don’t think any system is going to guarantee good games or eliminate crap ones - you could easily say there’s nothing much to play for in 1v4 and 2v3 in the AFL so half the first week’s games are meaningless. At least in the NRL system there’s no guarantee of anything at the time you play your first game.

@GNR4LIFE:

That’s a bit harsh - there have been some classic games in the first week of the finals in very recent memory. What about Tigers v Roosters last year (ok, you may have successfully blotted that from your memory) or Dragons v Parra the year before? I’m not sure any of this year’s first round AFL finals would be regarded as classics even by connoisseurs of hot potato either.

@2041:

@GNR4LIFE:

If we’d had the AFL system I’m guessing we’d have got the following (based on form last weekend):

MELBOURNE v Tigers (we’d never have got out of the first half only six points behind).
Manly v BRISBANE
DRAGONS v Knights
Warriors v COWBOYS

So Melbourne and Brisbane get the week off. This weekend would be Tigers home to Dragons and Manly home to Cowboys. Results as before and the preliminary finals are Melbourne v Manly in Melbourne and Brisbane v Tigers in Brisbane.

I don’t really know what I’m trying to prove here - just mucking about really. I massively prefer the AFL system but it does look like we’d end up with similar results either way this season. Frankly I don’t think any system is going to guarantee good games or eliminate crap ones - you could easily say there’s nothing much to play for in 1v4 and 2v3 in the AFL so half the first week’s games are meaningless. At least in the NRL system there’s no guarantee of anything at the time you play your first game.

The AFL system rewards the top four teams with giving two a ticket through to the third week and the two beaten sides a second bite of the cherry for being the most consistent sides during the premiership. Really, all the AFL system does is rubs out the chance of teams 5 & 6 getting the week off should all bottom four teams win which is a possible outcome in the McIntyre system.

The bottom four should be in a state of sudden death from the outset and should have to play and win three games to be rewarded with a GF berth (ala Jarryd Hayne in 2009.)

@Cultured Bogan:

@2041:

@GNR4LIFE:

Manly v BRISBANE
DRAGONS v Knights
Warriors v COWBOYS

The AFL system rewards the top four teams with giving two a ticket through to the third week and the two beaten sides a second bite of the cherry for being the most consistent sides during the premiership. Really, all the AFL system does is rubs out the chance of teams 5 & 6 getting the week off should all bottom four teams win which is a possible outcome in the McIntyre system.

The bottom four should be in a state of sudden death from the outset and should have to play and win three games to be rewarded with a GF berth (ala Jarryd Hayne in 2009.)

Yes, I’m aware of all that. As I said, I wasn’t trying to prove anything - just mucking about with hypotheticals.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.