SHEENS BACKS MARSHALL ALL THE WAY

SHEENS BACKS MARSHALL ALL THE WAY
By Wayne Cousins
12/09/2011 5:27:52 PM

He is confident, brash and exhilarating to watch and as far as Tim Sheens is concerned, he wouldn’t swap Benji Marshall for any other pivot in the game.

Sheens says the expectation on Marshall to perform every week in the Telstra Premiership was always high but is pleased with the way the Dally M Five-Eighth of the Year handles the pressure and the constant media scrutiny.

The experienced Wests Tigers Head Coach said Marshall was under no more pressure at this time of the season to perform in the finals than the likes of Darren Lockyer and Jamie Soward.

“It (the pressure) is on so many playmakers in the game to steer the teams around and to get the decisions right,’’ Sheens said.

“I know Benji polarises a lot of people one way or another but I think he handles that pretty well. He is only human.

“If he is hounded too much, that can be an issue for him. I find that all the star playmakers in the game are under a fair bit of pressure each week.

“Billy Slater every week has to be Billy Slater. He has got to be the best full-back in the world. It’s not easy to do that.

‘‘It is not easy for Benji every week to be a class act. You just want him to make sure he does the little things well and doesn’t overplay his hand which sometimes he has a habit of doing.

“By the same token, there are many games this year we wouldn’t have won had he not overplayed his hand.”

Sheens said people could form the wrong impression of Marshall due to the confidence he displays.

“I rate the kid big time. I think with a lot of champion young players that people like to knock em because every now and then he will have a game he is not happy with and people jump on that straight up,’’ he said.

“As far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t swap him for any five-eighth.”

He is the best five-eigth in the game. His a freak with some of the stuff he does. Together, Sheens and Marshall are the best thing to have happened to this club.

@Allan Towle:

He is the best five-eigth in the game. His a freak with some of the stuff he does. Together, Sheens and Marshall are the best thing to have happened to this club.

well said, I fully agree!

I wouldn’t swap him for any other player in the game.

Posted using RoarFEED

Wonderful endorsement from the coach. Well said, Sheensy. We love him too!

@Long Distance Tiger:

Posted using RoarFEED

x2

Don’t care if he isn’t as consistent as a Slater or Smith. When he gets going he is the most exciting player to watch in the NRL bar none. He has pulled off so many plays that we will probably never see again. I will never ever forget the flick pass in '05 grand final - that gave me goosebumps!

@Luke:

@Long Distance Tiger:

Posted using RoarFEED

x2

Don’t care if he isn’t as consistent as a Slater or Smith. When he gets going he is the most exciting player to watch in the NRL bar none. He has pulled off so many plays that we will probably never see again. I will never ever forget the flick pass in '05 grand final - that gave me goosebumps!

Exactly mate…that whole finals campaign in 05 saw Benji score or set up tries in each game at very crucial times with skill based plays.

I’ll never forget his work for the Ayshford try in 09 where he got the ball, dummied, stepped, massive dummy and then the round the back flick pass for the score. Something I have never seen before and may never see again. I said in another thread that when he releases his book it should be accompanied with a dvd of his highlights reel to date.

It would pack out an hour easily…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.