Wests Tigers target Manu

This mornings media are reporting that Sheens plans to target Manu after his mistake ridden game last week against the Broncs.

Is this wise? Can the bloke have two shocking games in row or is he due to bounce back?

How would Sheens target Manu? I guess through kicks would be the main option, any other options?

I think it’s a load of old bollocks to be honest. We haven’t got a bomb in our game (and I mean literally - executing a good bomb is difficult and our halves don’t seem to be able to to do it) and I can’t see us trying to add one - and thus completely change our pattern of attack - because it might work against one player.

I must admit this is one of the reasons the Warriors worry me. Their attacking strength is offloading around the ruck, which kills us, and their defensive weakness is kicks, which we don’t use.

No bomb ability? Last game against the warriors, McKinnon took a screaming catch off a Marshall bomb to start our comeback.

Warriors Left Edge this weekend will be Mateo,Johnson,Inu and The Beast against Tigers Right Edge of Fulton,Lui,Ayshford and Beau Knows
This is the Warriors weak point which we need to exploit
Inu is renowned for make rash decisions in defence went put under pressue, I still cannot believe that teams haven’t tried to spot up Johnson more this season, Mateo is really our dangers we need to rap up his Inspector Gadget arms. With The Beast having to defend outside Inu this week I see Inu rushing up to stop the plays meaning The Beast have to come up also.
A few plays I can Sheens getting Benji/Lui the throw at them are

• when both Inu and Manu rush up would like playmaker(Lui or Benji) to put in grubber kick behind line with both Ayshford and Ryan chasing
  • when Inu rushes up on playmaker Manu comes up to cut off centre would like playmaker to throw cut out pass to winger AKA try Ryan scored at Leichhardt against Storm
  • putting pressure on Manu under high ball and grubber kicks

But in Defence on this side my main concern would be Lui trying to stop Mateo but really it needs to be team effort to stop Mateo, also I can see Warriors playing this side and then getting Manu to come inside and try to spot up Lui

You also may see Warriors copy the Tigers(aka Utai) where Inu could move to wing and Manu to centre nearing 5th tackle to try and may negate Manu getting bombarded with bombs all day as Inu is good under high ball

Thats my 2 cents

@2041:

I think it’s a load of old bollocks to be honest. We haven’t got a bomb in our game (and I mean literally - executing a good bomb is difficult and our halves don’t seem to be able to to do it) and I can’t see us trying to add one - and thus completely change our pattern of attack - because it might work against one player.

I must admit this is one of the reasons the Warriors worry me. Their attacking strength is offloading around the ruck, which kills us, and their defensive weakness is kicks, which we don’t use.

Yes offloads by Mateo for example are a definite threat and our blokes will need to smother the ball in tackles to try and limit this, I hate seeing two and three players making a tackle and yet the attacking player still manages to get the ball away, it saps a lot of energy out of the defense and obviously opens up holes in the defensive line. As for Manu, some good suggestions there WJ worth more than 2 cents.

@mikey:

No bomb ability? Last game against the warriors, McKinnon took a screaming catch off a Marshall bomb to start our comeback.

That kick was taken from 20 metres out and landed at least 10 metres short of the line - it was only because the Warriors full-back made a total arse of defending it that McKinnon got in (also one I’d like to raise with the ‘never let a bomb bounce’ crowd - if the full back had stood off that one it would have been an easy tackle on McKinnon).

We also ended that Warriors game defending our line because with about three minutes to go Marshall attempted to bomb again from the 40 and sliced the ball backwards.

If the tactic is “bomb really badly and hope for the best” then yes, we’ve got the ability to do that. What we don’t have is any indication that we can consistently put challenging bombs up to land near the opposition goal line (or that we’ve got wingers who can catch them even if we could).

This talk of attacking Manu with bombs will only be talk We will be looking at somewhere where we can exploit the Warriors through the hands or through defensive errors and misreads
We may put the occasionally bomb up to keep them honest

Anotehr sheens smokescreen.
come out and say the team will attack their left edge but then we end up focusing all our attack at their right edge.
Tigers have never targeted a specific player why would they start now?
As others have mentioned Tigers don’t put up consistent effective bombs.
i think the best the tigers will do is put a few grubbers in behind the big man to get him dropping back, (he’s just as bad with a rolling ball) and a flying beau ryan might jag a try or two

the beast sort of reminds me of jonah lomu, but it took other teams a while to work out that grubbing kicks in behind lomu were his weakness. lomu had a lot of trouble turning and chasing not to mention bending down to gather the ball. this could be tactic to use … but we will see on friday night.

LOL! Sheens letting the opposition know our game plan before the game. Must be true :crazy :crazy
He doesn’t even let people know what the starting line up and bench will be until he has to.
Oh, but that’s right it is the Warriors, they’ll probably believe it 😈
Tigers did target Soward once this year…. :roll

@BeeJay:

Anotehr sheens smokescreen.
come out and say the team will attack their left edge but then we end up focusing all our attack at their right edge.
Tigers have never targeted a specific player why would they start now?
As others have mentioned Tigers don’t put up consistent effective bombs.
i think the best the tigers will do is put a few grubbers in behind the big man to get him dropping back, (he’s just as bad with a rolling ball) and a flying beau ryan might jag a try or two

keep manu dropped back in the line on 4th and 5th. run the ball on the last :slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of “the bomb”. It creates more 20m resarts than it does scoring opportunities and that just relieves pressure.

We would be the team that utilises the grubber more than any other I reckon. When you’ve got Farah, Lui, Marshall etc who excel at it and the fact that more pressure is maintained by line kick restarts, it gives us an edge.

I’ve got no stats to back me up - just a hunch.

@smudge:

I’m not a fan of “the bomb”. It creates more 20m resarts than it does scoring opportunities and that just relieves pressure.

We would be the team that utilises the grubber more than any other I reckon. When you’ve got Farah, Lui, Marshall etc who excel at it and the fact that more pressure is maintained by line kick restarts, it gives us an edge.

Both Farah and Lui spend a fair bit of time during the pre game warm up practicing grubbers into the ingoal so you have something there smudge.

@cunno:

@smudge:

Both Farah and Lui spend a fair bit of time during the pre game warm up practicing grubbers into the ingoal so you have something there smudge.

Yeah it was mentioned in an NRL match preview recently that WT have scored more tries off grubber kicks than any other team this year, so it’s definitely their favourite and most successful play near the line. I seriously hope, though, that no one in the Tigers’ camp actually believes that big Manu will put in another performance like last week. If anything, he will be out for redemption and we need to beware. There is mistakes in him for sure, but the guy can still be a match winner.

Kicking in behind Manu is a big part of beating the Warriors. You get good kicks in behind him, he has to go back and get the ball, he doesn’t get the chance to wind up and you take him out of the game. Easier said than done though.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.