FATHER AND SON CHASE PREMIERSHIP DREAM

FATHER AND SON CHASE PREMIERSHIP DREAM
By Wayne Cousins
15/09/2011 3:22:56 PM

Wests Tigers second-rower Gareth Ellis has two reasons to make the Grand Final – to win an NRL premiership and to keep his dedicated father, Ken, in Sydney a little longer.

The world’s best second-rower is hoping to join an illustrious band of Englishmen to have won premierships in Australia and England.

The Great Britain international won consecutive premierships with Leeds Rhinos in 2007-08 before joining Wests Tigers. His impact at Wests Tigers has been enormous, winning the Club’s Player of the Year award for the past two seasons.

Ellis knows there is plenty of hard work to be done but firmly has one eye on that NRL trophy.

“It would be unbelievable. I came thinking I was going to win one. I really believed that’s why I came,’’ Ellis said.

“It is a very elite band of players to have won competitions back in England and in Australia. To join that group would make me a very happy person.”

Ellis paid tribute to his father’s constant support whose passion for the Wests Tigers can be seen in his eyes.

“To have him out here especially in front of the big crowds that we are playing in front of and the atmosphere the NRL finals create, it is a great experience for him,’’ Ellis said.

“He has booked a bit of an open ended ticket. He had a word to his employers back home and said he might be three or four weeks. Hopefully it will be the latter.”

Trying to end the father and son dream this Friday night in a sudden-death semi-final will be the Warriors.

“We will have to be on our mettle to just compete and get one over them,’’ Ellis said.

“They are all going to be up for a big game and there are probably one or two players that are probably disappointed with their performances (against Brisbane) and I am sure they would want to put that right.”

Hopefully he gets a free trip to the UK in Feb to visit the family on the back of the WCC 😃

Posted using RoarFEED

Glad to see his old man made it out here again. Fingers crossed.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.