International Rugby League Future

Watching the Rugby World Cup has got me dreaming of where International Rugby League could head in the future.
It is obvious that International Rugby Union is improving at a rapid rate.
All the minnow teams seem to have had huge improvements since the last world cup and the future for International Rugby looks very bright.

I can’t help but start dreaming/hoping that International Rugby League gets its act together and starts trying to aim to have a world cup as successful as the Rugby World Cup that is truly on the world stage.

To be honest I am not sure how rugby league can be improved on the international stage.
What are people’s thoughts on improving international league and how much is currently being done to improve it?

Or maybe just the higher teams in rugby are getting worse. I mean Scotland just pipping Georgia is atrocious.

@jirskyr:

Or maybe just the higher teams in rugby are getting worse. I mean Scotland just pipping Georgia is atrocious.

no if you understand rugby union you will know they have improved and are actually competition. League is only three countries really…Australia, NZ and England. Samoa, Fiji and Tonga have quite a few NRL players who didn’t make Aussie or Kiwi teams. such as jarryd hayne and feleti mateo at the last world cup.

i think the only way for them to improve is to play the top teams and get better that way the last world cup was ridiculous how they had the 3 top nations in the same pool and were pretty much guaranteed qualification and only PNG getting the opportunity to play them for other teams to improve they must play the top teams in a competitive match european, african and islander nations could become the focus of rugby league on a international scale.

another way is to do what the afl did a couple weeks back where they had a lot of nations compete against one another this will be a way in encouraging minnows to get involved and improve

@WestsSupporter:

@jirskyr:

no if you understand rugby union you will know they have improved and are actually competition. League is only three countries really…Australia, NZ and England. Samoa, Fiji and Tonga have quite a few NRL players who didn’t make Aussie or Kiwi teams. such as jarryd hayne and feleti mateo at the last world cup.

Yup Georgia and Canada are competition.

@jirskyr:

@WestsSupporter:

@jirskyr:

Yup Georgia and Canada are competition.

I think he meant competitive.
I agree that Scotland haven’t played great but these teams like Georgia, Romania, USA, etc. have definitely improved since the last world cup and not just a little bit but a lot. At this rate they will be more of a genuine threat within another 8-12 years.

Target all the countries that are improving so well in Rugby Union. The transition from Union to League isn’t a massive one so if these up and coming countries in the sport are making so many leaps and bounds, take advantage of Unions good work.

@tiger sean:

Watching the Rugby World Cup has got me dreaming of where International Rugby League could head in the future.
All the minnow teams seem to have had huge improvements since the last world cup and the future for International Rugby looks very bright.

I can’t help but start dreaming/hoping that International Rugby League gets its act together and starts trying to aim to have a world cup as successful as the Rugby World Cup that is truly on the world stage.

To be honest I am not sure how rugby league can be improved on the international stage.
What are people’s thoughts on improving international league and how much is currently being done to improve it?

I think the big difference is the English and french cluba were forced to release players to play in the world cup this time my understanding is
So a lot of the minnow sides are at full strength IE Romania Tonga Samoa etc

@happy tiger:

@tiger sean:

I think the big difference is the English and french cluba were forced to release players to play in the world cup this time my understanding is

Surely those competeitions wouldn’t be running during the World Cup?

@tiger sean:

@happy tiger:

@tiger sean:

Surely those competeitions wouldn’t be running during the World Cup?

They are. These people don’t care about the outside world. You may recall speculated WT target Ryan Cross is on a short term contract to play in France to cover players missing due to the world cup. Crazy but true.

@WestsSupporter:

@jirskyr:

I’m not totally convinced. I’ve watched a couple of games and the overall standard looks pretty lousy but then again I’m not a big fan of over-officiating, constant rucks and mauls, and scrums. Some of the teams look more competitive, some have always been so (Canada for example made the QF in 1991) some seem to have gone backwards (Tonga for one) and others remain crap (I’m looking at you Namibia).

It’s not surprising that NRL players are going to turn out for Fiji, Tonga etc. Most of the union teams feature players from Euro comps. If they qualify good luck to them. Having seen RL in Fiji I’m convinced that most of those Pacific countries are better suited to playing league.

I would have thought it would be relatively easy to bring countries like PNG up to speed if the NRL wanted to do so.

If they brought in salary cap concessions or other incentives for teams to take on young PNG players, clubs would be more willing to take a risk with them.

Then have the players sign an agreement that they would only be eligible to play for their home country to avoid the problem of players being in Australia for enough years to gain citizenship and then Australia cherrypicking the best players.

So, in 5 years time, you end up with maybe a dozen or more PNG players with NRL experience, with access to the same coaching as Australian and NZ players. If one or two turn out to be star quality, the team could be very competitive. And the more competitive they become, the more clubs will look seriously at young players coming through, and the whole process would be self sufficient, even if the incentives were dropped at some stage in the future.

And of course, this sort of plan could be applied for any emerging countries. I just chose PNG because they are amongst the top teams in the second tier and have plenty of young players.

My thoughts on International RL is that more time, thought, and money needs to be put in. There are some fairly well established comps in places like Serbia, Jamaica, Lebanon, and Russia that need some help. Likewise the Pacific countries could field great teams if they could pick from anyone eligible. I’d like to see:

1. Salary cap exemtions for anyone who is eligible and plays for a minor country (let’s say anyone who isn’t Aust, NZ, or England).
2. NSW and QLD to be able to choose 2 non-Australian eligible players each year. Players could not switch states and you could restrict it to non-NZ and England players.
3. Grants for developing countries to send players/coaches (teams would be awesome but even some players would be good) to stronger countries for training.
4. Stronger leagues to send appropriate strength teams to play overseas
5. IRL or someone support more games between teams

@Juro:

I would have thought it would be relatively easy to bring countries like PNG up to speed if the NRL wanted to do so.

If they brought in salary cap concessions or other incentives for teams to take on young PNG players, clubs would be more willing to take a risk with them.

Then have the players sign an agreement that they would only be eligible to play for their home country to avoid the problem of players being in Australia for enough years to gain citizenship and then Australia cherrypicking the best players.

So, in 5 years time, you end up with maybe a dozen or more PNG players with NRL experience, with access to the same coaching as Australian and NZ players. If one or two turn out to be star quality, the team could be very competitive. And the more competitive they become, the more clubs will look seriously at young players coming through, and the whole process would be self sufficient, even if the incentives were dropped at some stage in the future.

And of course, this sort of plan could be applied for any emerging countries. I just chose PNG because they are amongst the top teams in the second tier and have plenty of young players.

Totally agree. I was typing my own manifesto along similar lines when you posted this! The issues with players turning out for Aust are nearly always to do with SOO and/or money.

Samoa have come a long way since being beaten 76-0 by the ABs at 07 cup.
Romania look good.
Argentina just got beaten by England.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.