Will the tigers be stronger in 2012 than in 2011

With all of the new signings and players leaving at the end of the season, do you think the tigers will be stronger in 2012 than in 2011?

I personally think no. It will take several months for the new players to gel, plus I dont believe the new signings are better than the players that are leaving. Plus even though I dont personally know them, Im a little sad to see my ‘mates’ gibbs and moltzen leaving…feels a bit like when your friends move away from your home town…

Overall, the current team obviously have the ability to win the premiership, so I cant see why Sheens felt as though he needed to change the team around (I know there are salary cap issues, but surely if he didnt sign Blair, we could have kept pretty much the same team).

i’d like to hope the tigers will be strong next year, when does ellis leave btw? is he likely to stay any longer in aus away from his family?

its also sad to see motlzen go since he has now settled right in to the no1 position.

Do you think the salary cap the way it is doesnt allow a team to have stars in 1 6 7 and 9? that financially there has to be a compromise? obviously melbourne tried to push this boundary and got egg on their face.

I believe the Tigers WILL be MUCH stronger in 2012 than 2011…The key for me making this statement will be STABILITY!..assuming no major injuries…will will have much more stability in the “spine” than we had in 2011…especially the first 20 weeks…Lui has come of age in the last 6-7 weeks, he is really controlling the games very well and that gives Benji room to weave his magic…Lui has addressed his defensive issues and has become a vital cog in the Tigers performances…he will only get better in 2012…Fullback…I believe Tim will have a front runner for the fullback position before RD1…Whether its Ryan, Brown, Reddy or Grant…we will have a stable fullback for 2012,something we did not have in 2011…Farah…has played 2011 injured for the majority of the year if not the whole year…with a fixed up groin watch Farah to take his game to “Origin” level in 2012…that leaves Benji…well we all know he is living up to his claims in 2007/8/9 when we said his best years are ahead of him…and how true…another injury free 2011 and his performances nearly won him a Dally M. he will only get better in 2012 'cause of the above…

The 3 quarters are all very strong with Ayshford and Lawrence IMO being the best centre pairing in the comp!..we hopefully will have Tuquiri and Ryan playing out of their skins…our backline in 2012 should sizzle!..
The Forwards…well haven’t we seen the young brigade turn it up in 2011…Groat and Woods excite me when they play…in 2012 they will be the perfect foil to Sauce and with him give the WT plenty of go forward…throw in Ellis, Fulton, Blair and Heighno and we have probably the best forward pack + reserves in the comp…
Backup:…in 2012 we will have more depth, with our new signings, than we had in 2011…and boy didn’t we need it!..

So there you have my views folks…I got excited just typing it out and I firmly believe we WILL be much stronger in 2012 than 2011…and I for one can’t wait to renew my membership for 2012!!..meantime we have a GrandFinal to win… go the Tigers…send your mates Moltz and Gibbs(especially) off as winners!!! :sign:

Well put “alexaki” I totally agree with your comments above.
Always hard to see guys like moltzen & gibbs leave when they are both essentially products of our club thou.

On balance I think better, but it’s not totally cut and dried.

Reasons for optimism
Adam Blair coming in.
More depth across the backs with Humble, Grant and Reddy joining, Simona hopefully closer and Daniella back.
The possibility that Grant is a real difference-maker
Groat and Woods as first grade-ready props, Begovich possibly to play the role of new blood.
Another year of experience for Lui.
A settled squad with the mid-2011 slump in the rear view mirror.
Farah fully fit from the start of the season.
Lawrence and Tuqiri unlikely to miss most of the season.
We have the best record against top eight teams in the comp this year.

Reasons for pessimism
Defensive worries round the ruck after Gibbs’s departure.
No settled full back and no options that can replicate what Moltzen’s done in recent weeks.
Is Adam Blair as good as we’re paying him?
Tuqiri on the downswing?
Concern that Lawrence’s hip injury has ongoing complications.
Losing more players to Origin (Farah, Lawrence, Ayshford, Galloway all chances).
Benji has only missed one game in 2010/11 combined.
Tougher schedule (this season we’ve only had to play Melbourne, Manly and Brisbane once each in regular season, with two of those games at home - and neither of those won).
Other teams getting better, especially the threat of a monster run from Brisbane.

I’ve been thinking about this too, and I think no …

Not only are we losing 3 of our in form players in Moltzen, Gibbs and Flanagan (has been v strong off the bench), but I also fear the loss of Steve Folkes will leave a massive hole.

After making the preliminary final last year and heading into 2011 with practically the same squad, I felt SO excited and thought we’d be unstoppable this year. I unfortunately don’t have the same feelings for next year. I’m especially gutted about Moltzen’s departure. I think this is the first time since 2005 that we’ve had a decent 1,6,7,9.

I hope I end up eating my words, but Moltzen > Reddy and Grant, and Gibbs > Blair. We’ve got enough depth to cover injuries, our U20s and State Cup sides are full of talent.

@alex:

Gibbs > Blair

Big, big call.

No , I don’t think it will be stronger, but we might hopefully have a better run with injuries.
With all the crap that has gone this year , the back half of the season we are still on the hunt , and really feel this will be one of the greatest GF win by any team

2011 - Wests Tigers Permiers
2012 - make the 8

@2041:

@alex:

Gibbs > Blair

Big, big call.

I probably should’ve provided some context to that statement.

Considering how Gibbs has been playing the last two seasons and the role he plays in the team, I believe we’re losing more than just a prop. He’s been in the Tigers system since day 1, and this brings a sense of commitment and leadership. He’s hitting career best form and for the alleged price Blair will be on, I think Gibbs would be better value.

@alex:

@2041:

@alex:

Gibbs > Blair

Big, big call.

I probably should’ve provided some context to that statement.

Considering how Gibbs has been playing the last two seasons and the role he plays in the team, I believe we’re losing more than just a prop. He’s been in the Tigers system since day 1, and this brings a sense of commitment and leadership. He’s hitting career best form and for the alleged price Blair will be on, I think Gibbs would be better value.

It’s unfair to make that call when Blair hasn’t even pulled a jumper on for us yet.

At least give the poor bastard a game or two running on with the same side before you make a comparison.

I’ll be happy to eat my words if Blair comes good. It’s just since he signed with us (and I know I’m not the only one of the forum who thinks this) he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire. That’s the only reason for my concern.

Let’s hope he lives up to the hype

We will be stronger, all the signings should bolster the side and our younger players will have a long off season pumping iron. Players like Lui will be more consistent especially with a new contract up for grabs. Be very suprised if we are not top four or better again.

I also think Benji and Robbie will be fighting it out to get the Dally M. Both have been so close in the last 3-4 years missing out in the last round.

I think we could be stronger, yes we are loosing some talent and it’s sad to see them go, but don’t forget Mathew Bell…him and Adam blair will add some new dynamics in force to our forward pack and having the fastest man in the comp along with Lawrence will give Benji options that will terrorize the other teams…

We will be much stronger in 2012,

The confidence born out of the semis campaign in 2011 will help Lui Woods Groat Ayshford Lawrence and BMM who are all very young still.

Blair to Add mongrel up front.

Im loving the way we are building.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.