The best of you

We never saw them at their best….all year Ive been waiting yet with every improvement we would lose ground in other areas.
We never once really put two halves together, we never ever put a team really away…possibly the Titans and raiders (both equal last)
For someone with Sheens experience…to have his key play makers continually do high risk low percentage plays like running on the last like last night and giving away cheap field position tells me he either has no control or he allows them too much free rein…this is why I call for him to go, its comfortable at WTs for a lot of people.
We play the way we do to accomodate benji, its exciting but also high risk, but I though about 5 weeks ago we would run out of time to see them reach their peak, I had a faint hope maybe we would…but we cant put 2 halves together, MENTALLY IT IS NOT IN THEM…and this again comes down to players being comfortable- too comfortable…we lack discipline, but hey thats the way we play and its great with a full hill on a sunny sunday arvo cause it gets ratings… 😒

You cant have it both ways, we all accept when Benji or Farah pull a magic play out of nowhere to win a game, so we got to accept it when they do something crazy. I certainly dont want to go out on a cold winters night and see a team like the robot dragons run around with their one attacking play in their kit bag.

Okay your right it was dumb play not to kick and may have cost us the game, but in eighty minutes of football their are lots of “if only’s”

Anyway I think they will be bigger and stronger next year

Benji has been playing for 9 years now……he is a senior player, international captain…there are times when you just close it out…apply pressure, make it difficult for the opposition
Sheens cant get that into them…its his job.
Its not just last night…I lost count of the times I would post in a live thread at half time when he have a lead yet we play stupid, kicking on tackle 2 etc etc
I dont think I’ll ever accept it when they look like u/9’s all with white line fever trying to score off every tackle

I think Ink may cop a bit for this thread……the line “didnt hear u complaining when we won nine straight” may be thrown up lol…but he’s right.

The only thing professionally consistant about Tim Sheens coached teams is INCONSISTANCY

I think we never saw them at their best for a full 80 because whether you want to admit it or not, we have had probably the worst injury record in the NRL this year. Toward the end when people were coming back, you saw of what we were capable. Unfortunately, the stuttering in the last week or two was because of injuries creeping in again.

Our time will come.

If you want a team that bases it’s game plan on no frills, conservative football, a team whose intention is to find corners and force mistakes, you’re following the wrong Club. The Tigers have single handedly transformed the game of Rugby League over the last 5 or 6 years, from a boring, uninventive festival of predictability to a game where daring and risk can provide great rewards. Without the likes of Benji Marshall the game may well have been withering on the vine.

i think ink is right in that the team does seem to struggle with mental toughness.

some games or times within games call for simple kick to the corner and chase hard. the other area for me is defence, not just goal line and ruck but defensively our record is not great and that is something sheens has not been able to turn around year after year after year.

look, they did well to finish top four two seasons in a row, don’t get me wrong i’m very happy, BUT, to win minor premierships and grand finals we need to fix these areas…

anyway very excited about 2012 with Blair the forward leader we need and some brilliant youngsters coming through!

the truth is we needed to be a little more attacking in the s/h.We just needed one more try but they looked comfortable with that little lead.

We actually played pretty well last night for 60m,just the first 10 & last 10 in the s/h was horrible.They needed to go right on with it.

@Citizen Tiger:

If you want a team that bases it’s game plan on no frills, conservative football, a team whose intention is to find corners and force mistakes, you’re following the wrong Club. The Tigers have single handedly transformed the game of Rugby League over the last 5 or 6 years, from a boring, uninventive festival of predictability to a game where daring and risk can provide great rewards. Without the likes of Benji Marshall the game may well have been withering on the vine.

Nope.

Dont want a no frills base……but it has its place at times.

Agree with Ink. We just don’t know when to put the rack back in the cue and play some smart conservative footy. In high pressure semi finals, it always had the potential to come back and bite us on the bot bot

You cant say Benji shouldve or couldve he has a style of game that he plays thats unique. He has always played like this and always will, thats just him. When it works it looks amazing and when it doesnt well even the most conservative players make mistakes so you ant blame him too much.

Posted using RoarFEED

The way I see it is we live by the sword and sometimes die by it too. Sure is disappointing when we lose because of the high risk football we play, but its also incredible when we win playing that type of footy.

We may not have won the big one and that hurts like hell. However, we have been in the semis two years in a row - how long has it been since anyone here has experienced that. FFS - take a positive out of the year.

@innsaneink:

We never saw them at their best….all year Ive been waiting yet with every improvement we would lose ground in other areas.
We never once really put two halves together, we never ever put a team really away…possibly the Titans and raiders (both equal last)
For someone with Sheens experience…to have his key play makers continually do high risk low percentage plays like running on the last like last night and giving away cheap field position tells me he either has no control or he allows them too much free rein…this is why I call for him to go, its comfortable at WTs for a lot of people.
We play the way we do to accomodate benji, its exciting but also high risk, but I though about 5 weeks ago we would run out of time to see them reach their peak, I had a faint hope maybe we would…but we cant put 2 halves together, MENTALLY IT IS NOT IN THEM…and this again comes down to players being comfortable- too comfortable…we lack discipline, but hey thats the way we play and its great with a full hill on a sunny sunday arvo cause it gets ratings… 😒

I agree in parts Ink
Still think if Bryce Gibbs is there at the end we probably win
Our defence lost a lot of momentum in the 2nd half
With what you say about the way to play we need to find the right mix in attack and defence
When we play smart everything seems to roll into place but when we get carried away and start going overboard in attack that is when we turnover a lot of ball and we give away easy points
Last night was perfect example Groat tries to throw a miracle ball and we turn the ball over (our first turnover for the night ) and NZ score
How many other top 8 sides when leading 12-0 would do that ??.Answer 0

I agree, HT - losing Gibbs was a huge factor in the 2nd half being so sloppy. I also agree with Ink, that we’ve not seen the boys put 2 excellent halves together. At the game I was talking to a friend and said the last time we really smashed a team was in the doggies semi in 2005. Since then, we seem to coast as soon as we get in front, and it’s disappointing and we’ve lost quite a few of those ‘should have won’ games.
The thing that really irritates me is that the nly player who will chase down a kick is Beau! WHY WHY WHY don’t they follow a kick and either contest the bloody thing or at the very least put heaps of pressure on the other team trying to catch it? Drives me NUTS!!!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.