Balmain v Roosters Matts 10am……SG Ball 11:30am @ TG Milner
Wests V Manly Matts 12pm…SG Ball 1:30pm @ Campbelltown
Balmain SG… Wests SG
1. Mason Farrell… 1. Nick Galatoulas
2. Max Dimarco… 2. Sol Kamuta
3. Leva Li… 3. Rhyce McLaren
4. Nathan Milone… 4. Finn Dublewicz
5. Paul Simona… 5. Josh King
6. Mitchell Moses… 6. Nathan Rumsby
7. Mark Daoud… 7. Brad Larter
8. Elimeleki Taumalolo… 8. Daniel Byrne
9. Mania Cherrington… 9. John Martin
10. Lolo Funaki… 10. Josh Cullen
11. Salesi Funaki… 11. Daniel Alterio
12. Daniel Rakvin… 12. Jake Dooner
13. Andrew Kazzi… 13. Luke Bonnell
14. Jason Vikilani… 14. George Grant
15. Joshua Siddle… 15. Daniel Tavae
16. Samuel Lamusiteke… 16. Antonio Inzitari
17. Vincent Samuel… 17. Liam Cavana
18. Alex Zarounas… 18. Junior Mapesone
19. Rhys Armstrong… 19. James Kovac
20. Matthew Woods… 20. Andrew Pfitzner
… 21. Sinapati Solia
Balmain Matts… Wests Matts
1. Luke Johnson… 1. Jett Karam
2. Josh Nohra… 2. Raui Poaru
3. D’Rhys Miller… 3. Makaere Bush
4. Dwayne Peters… 4. Jackson Kuli
5. Moses Vea… 5. Christian Tulua
6. Bayley Sironen… 6. Jack Payne
7. Jordan Finlayson… 7. Ethan Wright
8. Pifeleti Pifeleti… 8. Tyrone Sweeney
9. Jack Wheelhouse… 9. Johnathan Mose
10. Jordan Fedele… 10. Chris Ve’e
11. Jaleel Seve-Derbas… 11. Mason Cerruto
12. Junior Tatola… 12. Robert Vai
13. Robert Dox… 13. Mark McCormack
14. Adrian Hraibi… 14. Brayden Boaden
15. Brett Beardmore… 15. Andrew Vatuvei
16. Joe Carbo… 16. Jesse Jackson
17. Caelum Corbett… 17. Ben Talamaivao
18. Isaac Kassis… 18. Tyson Wawatai
19. Jye Jarvis… 19. Derek Ah Chong
20. Jack Mitchell… 20. Jordie Reid
21. Jean-Louis Jones… 21. James Jackson
22. Keiran Castagne… 22. Toa Mata’afa
23. Jack DeGioia… 23. Monson Paewai
24. Rihann Barkley-Brown… 24. Samoa Meafua
… 25. Lenny Sauni
g’day, interested observer from the other side of the Great Divide, in the Balmain squads I know that Mitchell Moses is Benny’s nephew & Bayley Sironen is obviously the son of Paul but a few other names out there?, Paul Simona, any relation to Tim? and Mania Cherrington, any relation to the sadly out of luck Anthony from the Roosters?.
On the Wests side the Dragons had a George Grant back in their NSWRL Premiership days in 1979 and is their a relation to the beast from the Warriors in Andrew Vatuvai?.
Paul is Tim’s Brother, Mason Farrell is related to Mark O’Neill, Luke Bonnell is Jay’s brother. I don’t think Mania is related to Anthony although Mania did play Matts for the Roosters.
The QLD Roosters SG Ball have a few relatives aswell, Alex Thomas is the nephew of Joe Thomas and David Gillespie and Lloyd Perrett, Joe OFAHENGAUE, Tuiala TOGITASI and Vincent LEULUAI are all related to their famous namesakes I believe.
It was a very good win by Balmain in the SG Ball, they were starved of possession and field position in the first 20 minutes of the game and were down 16-0 struggling to keep the Roosters at bay out wide. Andrew Kazzi was gone for the game after copping a broken nose making a tackle in the first 5 minutes so we were down to 3 reserves for practically all of the game. Mania Cherrington was sin binned around the 20 minute mark for back chatting but the Tigers rallied and were able to score 2 tries while 1 man down going into half time up 18-16.
The Roosters had 8 QLD reps and had a big size advantage over the Tigers, I thought the game turned around when Jason Vikilani and Alex Zarounis came on from the reseves bench. Jason attracted a lot of attention from the Roosters and received 2 penalties as a result of shoulder charges, his go forward was great and Alex really got us on the front foot with some clever play. Mitchell Moses again was the main attacking weapon and was well supported by Leva Li, Mason Farrell, Salesi Funaki and Max Dimarco who ended up with 3 tries.
Lolo Funaki, Salesi, Elimeleki Taumalolo and Daniel Rakvin really stuck it up the Rooster forwards with aggressive defence and strong hit ups, Paul Simona’s defence on the right wing was outstanding and Matthew Woods tackled everything that moved. With Faseo Tatola and Luke Brooks set to make their returns in the coming weeks and with the best coach in Junior Reps I really believe these boys can beat anyone.
Magpies had a decent win in Matts but were utterly outclassed by the Manly SG Ball outfit
Derek McVey and his coaching team worked hard for the two years that they had control, Wests Harold Matts 2009 and Wests SG Balll 2010… Jason Williams reaped the rewards of what Dereck set up last year in Wests SG Ball being minor premiers.
Different story this year with Jason not having a team handed to him and the results are embarrassingly obvious for all to see.
Listened to the Weekend Detention show today on 2GB and Blocker Roach reluctanty admitted he handed out the Jerseys for both the Balmain sides who duly won.
What has been the input from the former Magpie Greats in this regard, Blackandwhite is bringing up past history, I wasn’t aware that former Balmain player Derek McVey had been coaching a Junior Magpie team but if Jason Williams had such a great resume then why hasn’t he have a team to coach to justify his ability.
While the SG Ball team might have been beaten shouldn’t we read more about the Harold Matthews side!.
Balmain and Wests are two different animals. Balmain are organised and professional, they have a much smaller area to chose from but know what they are doing. They are just a class above.
Wests have always been incompetent but Derek McVey changed that for a while, he didn’t let the knumbskulls tell him what to do.
There are obviously plenty of talented kids in the Campbelltown/Group 6 area but the twits identifying that talent simply have no idea. Derek chose his own team based on ability, he bought up young kids like Tedesco, Nofaluma and Brassington to play a year up. One contracted Wests Tigers player wasn’t good enough so Derek didn’t pick him.
The end result was top 4 in 2009 and Minor premiers 2010. Before that In 2008 they came second last and this year are specials for the wooden spoon.
That tells you something doesn’t it !
All due respect to him, but Derek McVey had nothing to do with the Magpies SG Ball minor premiership last season.
Tedesco and Nofoaluma were going to be good regardless of who coached them. Aside from them, Jason Williams and his staff were handed a bunch of kids from the South West of Sydney and Country area’s that had no idea on how to play football, no drive, no passion and next to no fitness conditioning.
Jason Williams tought them structure, but before he could do that he had to spend months of valuable pre-season time teaching fundamental skills that these kids should have done years previously!
From memory, the 2010 SG Ball Maggies were all about “bash ‘n’ barge” type footy with alot of dummy half scooting and a Mitchell Brassington bomb on the end.
I think Jason and his staff did alright with what they started with.