Tedesco decision on NRL future next week
Written by: AAP+ Filled in: NRL News | 26/5/2014 at 2:25pm
Star fullback James Tedesco will have decided his future by the time he returns for Wests Tigers next week, and, according to his manager, it won’t be solely dictated by money.
Tedesco is set to return from an ankle injury for the Tigers’ round 13 match against Newcastle on June 8, with the joint venture enjoying the bye this weekend.
The 21-year-old’s manager Sam Ayoub and Wests Tigers boss Grant Meyer both hosed down reports the Tigers had issued a 5pm deadline on Monday for Tedesco to decide his future.
Meyer confirmed discussions were ongoing with Ayoub on Monday but denied an ultimatum had been made.
“Not at all,” he said.
“The reality of the situation is discussions are ongoing and we are hopeful of retaining James.
“We are keen for him to be part of the future of the club.”
Meyer described reports of a $2 million offer over four years as “nonsensical”.
“We are in further discussions but after that I don’t want to comment any more.”
Ayoub said the Camden Rams junior was keen to have his future sorted out before his likely return against the Knights.
Tedesco has been linked to a move to Canberra, with Raiders chief executive David Furner signalling the start of an aggressive recruitment campaign.
Canterbury captain Michael Ennis and Penrith winger Josh Mansour have also been linked to Ricky Stuart’s side.
Ayoub described as “baseless” reports that the Raiders had tabled a $3.2 million deal to Tedesco.
He said the Tigers had presented an offer and Tedesco was waiting on the Raiders before deciding where he would be playing in 2015 and beyond.
“It is an ongoing process and we are working through that,” Ayoub said.
“We are hoping to make a decision as soon as possible to ease the pressure on him.
“And contrary to some of the reports out there, the decision he does make won’t be solely based on money.”
Read more: http://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/tedesco-decision-on-nrl-future-next-week/112274#ixzz32nDB4Txv
Is it just me or does this guy have the potential to have the same impact in a game as Andrew Fifta. He seems to have the X factor for a prop that can break the line and also find his way to the try line. He looks like one of our best signings for many years.
He and James Gavet provide great go forward when Woods and Galloway are off the field.
<big>New deal firmly plants Wests Tigers prop Aaron Woods for another three seasons</big>
JAMES HOOPER THE DAILY TELEGRAPH FEBRUARY 09, 2014 12:00AM
Aaron Woods during Wests Tigers training at Concord Oval, Sydney. Source: News Limited
THE Wests Tigers have beaten Manly for the signature of NSW Origin prop Aaron Woods with the club poised to announce a three-year deal with the local junior in the next week.
In a major coup for the newly-restructured Tigers board room, the retention of Woods is expected to trigger a host of other emerging stars also remaining at Concord as the Tigers re-build under coach Mick Potter.
Woods, 22, has virtually carried the Tigers pack single-handedly at stages of the past two seasons with an outstanding work rate for a relatively young front row forward.
Blessed with brilliant foot work and ball skills for a 109kg prop, Woods’s signature will be viewed as a major victory for the Tigers considering the NSW Origin prop is a Leichhardt Juniors junior.
At one point the Tigers were locked in a bidding war with last year’s grand finalists Manly, but The Sunday Telegraph understands the Sea Eagles raid has missed the mark. The retention of Woods means the Tigers maintain an impressive roster of emerging NRL talent, with the club’s generation next of Luke Brooks, Curtis Sironen, James Tedesco, Tim Simona, David Nofoaluma and Nathan Brown all earmarked to provide coach Mick Potter with a quality balance of youth, enthusiasm and experience.
Woods, who has played 64 NRL games for the Tigers and was the club’s 2012 player of the year, told The Sunday Telegraph he was excited about the current crop of players at Wests Tigers.
“I’m really enjoying my time at Wests Tigers and I’m excited about the talent that is coming through,” Woods said. "A decision is not to too far away as I’m very keen to get it sorted before the start of the season.
"It’s a tough decision to make, I’ve come through the local juniors at Leichhardt and the club has been great to me over the years. To be made part of the leadership group this year has been a real honour and I’m enjoying the opportunity to help some of the young guys in the squad.
“With Dene (Halatau) and Pat (Richards) coming back and Robbie (Farah) here we have a great group of leaders. I want to help some of the younger guys in the squad, especially young props like Browny (Nathan Brown) and Andy (Fiagatusa).”
Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer was tight-lipped when quizzed about Woods but The Sunday Telegraph has been told the Tigers are expected to make several major announcements over the course of the next week.
“I can understand that it’s a tough decision for Aaron to make and as a State of Origin player he is in high demand,” Mayer said.
“The club has made its intention clear and we believe that Aaron is a big part of our future.”
You’re Welcome Ink.
If anyone else wants to see NRL summertime (admittedly it was pretty standard paint by the numbers stuff, however there were a few good bits, and Ricky Stuart was hilarious…. in a bad way for raiders fans) let me know via PM
Hey underdog, would you please PM the link as I’m currently overseas and keen to watch it as well. Thanks
Posted using RoarFEED 2013