@TheDaBoss Liddle in for Farah. Reynolds in for Marshall
Clark in for Eisenhuth
Posts made by Tiger_Fan18
Wests Tigers upset at not being alerted to Moses Mbye’s medical emergency
The Wests Tigers have raised concerns with the Queensland Rugby League after it took Maroons officials more than 24 hours to contact the club’s medical staff to inform them of a life-threatening incident involving captain Moses Mbye.
While obviously relieved that Mbye emerged unscathed after suffering an allergic reaction, the Tigers were also disappointed that they were not immediately informed of the incident.
Mbye narrowly escaped disaster after suffering a bad reaction on Friday morning. It is understood the Tigers medical staff were informed the next day, while chief executive Justin Pascoe and head of football Kelly Egan were not contacted.
“Not comfortable that we were not informed immediately — he is a Wests Tigers contracted player and captain of our club and we deserve the right to be informed when any of our players are in situations like that,” Pascoe said.
Queensland officials have lauded the expertise of their medical staff and insisted there are no risks in Mbye playing in the second State of Origin game only a matter of days after the Maroons utility had a frightening brush with death.
The Queensland Rugby League released a statement yesterday afternoon confirming Mbye had developed a serious reaction on Friday morning, the intervention of team doctor Matt Hislop preventing a disaster after the Wests Tigers captain went into anaphylactic shock — a life-threatening allergic reaction that can result in swelling of the tongue and throat.
If left untreated, it can result in death. Hislop found Mbye on the floor outside his hotel room and gave the Maroons star an injection of adrenalin.
Queensland Rugby League chief executive Rob Moore insisted Mbye had suffered no long-term effects and there was no risk in him playing at Optus Stadium tomorrow night.
He also lavished praise on Hislop for his quick response, that ultimately may have saved Mbye’s life.
“He has been a round sport a long time as well but I suppose he is still a doctor underneath all that,” Moore said.
“He doesn’t forget his training. Just grateful the team doctors were on the spot and had everything he needed.
“We have always ensured we have had the best medical team around the players. We accept the fact we are borrowing [the players] off the NRL clubs for a period each year and we have to provide as good or better than what they get at their clubs.”
Moore said the NRL and Mbye’s club the Wests Tigers had been kept informed of developments and insisted there were no risks in him playing in a game that could ultimately decide this year’s Origin series.
“Once you get the shot it clears it up pretty quick,” Moore said.
“If you can get it even earlier it has a bigger impact I think. From the point of view long term there wouldn’t be anything from that one episode.
“The key now will be when he gets home, to find out what is triggering it.
“There is a lot more people now that are finding out they are allergic to things.
“You have to be very careful. All we can learn from it is you can’t assume that everyone isn’t going to have an allergic reaction to something.”
Mbye also insisted he would be ready to play — he completed Queensland’s final training run at Optus Stadium yesterday.
“It was something that came on unexpectedly,” Mbye said.
“I have never experienced anything like that before. It was obviously a reaction to something.
“I started feeling a bit itchy and lightheaded — I phoned the doc and he managed it professionally. We had all our supplies here ready to go and we got on top of it early.
“I’m feeling sweet now and ready to play.”
The QRL released a statement confirming Mbye had suffered a serious reaction and called Hislop. “By the time I was able to see him, he was beginning to show signs of the reaction with a skin rash and swelling,” Hislop said.
“I started treatment immediately and he responded quickly.”
Mbye stayed with the team while he was closely monitored.
“His vital signs were observed for a number of hours after the event,” Hislop said.
“He stabilised and made a complete recovery. We’ve got a well-stocked medical kit to deal with all sorts of emergencies.
“Moses is medically stable, and there is no risk with him playing or training, but he will need to have further tests done when he returns to Sydney.”
Mbye received limited time in the opening Origin game but he is a crucial figure in the squad given he has the capacity to a range of positions including hooker, the halves, centre and fullback.
At a pinch, Mbye can also play as an ancillary back rower. Queensland coach Kevin Walters lauded Mbye at his final press conference today.
“We have a lot of confidence in what Moses can bring,” he said.
“Moses had just a little window of opportunity in game one, we know he is a terrific player at club level, he showed that he could handle the step up in class albeit for short period of time.
“But he will be ready to go when we need him.”
Thompson rejects Penrith scum and re-signs with the Mighty Wests Tigers
Wests Tigers fullback Corey Thompson is poised to make a shock switch to Penrith in a move that will further escalate tensions between the clubs.
The Herald can reveal Thompson is set to take up a two-year deal with the Panthers after rejecting the offer made by the joint-venture outfit. The diminutive fullback-winger is one of the most underrated players in the game, but has quickly become a favourite with Tigers fans for his whole-hearted performances.
In a testament to how highly he is rated, coach Michael Maguire named him at fullback for the win against North Queensland despite initially buying captain Moses Mbye to fill the position. It was widely expected Thompson would re-sign with the Tigers, but the former Bulldog is set to take up a late offer from the western rivals. Panthers coach Ivan Cleary is a big fan of the 29-year-old from their time working together at Concord. Cleary convinced Thompson to join him at the foot of the mountains after a series of secret talks.
There is no love lost between the clubs after Cleary left the Tigers for Penrith despite still having two years to run on his contract. Thompson’s deal represents the first time since then that the teams have engaged in a battle for the signature of an incumbent player.
In a recent interview with the Herald, Thompson said he was looking for the security of a two-year deal after signing a series of one-season contracts.
“The first two-year deal I had was at the very start at the Bulldogs,” he said.
“I’m really working hard for a two-year deal. I think it’s a bit hard on the mind, just playing one-year deals, when you are always off contract.
“Last year I was lucky, I re-signed in April so it was pretty much a two-year deal. I just want to work hard and show I’m an asset to the team.”
Peace of mind for big Ben after guarantee from Madge
Wests Tigers prop Ben Matulino insists a recent conversation with coach Michael Maguire has left him reassured he’ll see out the remaining two seasons of his contract as recruitment and retention talk intensifies at Concord.
Matulino is one of several players the Tigers are rumoured to be shopping around to rival clubs, with the joint venture 11th on the Telstra Premiership ladder after suffering their third straight loss.
The former Kiwi international joined the club in 2018 and has featured in every game for the Tigers this year, but the impending signature of Parramatta prop Tim Mannah has left everyone on their toes.
“I’ve been told by Madge I’m here for two more years,” Matulino said on Tuesday.
"When I was at the Warriors this sort of stuff happened and guys were getting shopped around. I guess maybe it’s my turn, I don’t know, but I’ve been assured by Madge I’ll be here for the next two years.
"He’s told the guys individually if we’re staying or not, and he’s told me I’ve got two more years. When it first came out I rang my manager and he said he hadn’t heard anything from anyone.
“Then he called me and said I can guarantee you you’re not leaving.”
Matulino has struggled to make in-roads since moving to Concord from the Warriors two years ago, averaging just 77 metres per game in 2019 – his lowest figures in a decade.
But the 30-year-old, who is nearing 250 NRL games, said he felt no pressure after arriving to the club as a touted replacement for former captain Aaron Woods.
“There’s no pressure there I don’t think,” Matulino said.
“You’ve just got to go out there and try your best and the wins will come. We’re under pressure at the moment. It’s three losses on the trot and we’ve lost against a lot of top four teams. We need to turn things around.”
The Tigers are unlikely to have the services of Mannah this week with Parramatta yet to officially announce the veteran prop’s release.
Maguire’s side will leave Sydney for North Queensland on Wednesday morning, leaving Mannah little time to settle in to his new surroundings and prepare for the clash.
“I’m looking forward to it, he’s a really nice guy and can only boost our team,” Matulino said of Mannah.
“I’ve known Timmy since 2008 with the under 20s and got along really well with him. He’s got a lot of experience.”
RE: Rumour: Tigers sign Tim Mannah for rest of 2019
Why are Tigers always seem to be wasting money on signing half dead players that are past their prime…… They are never going forward in signings, always backwards…
DWZ signs with Bulldogs after bitter Panthers exit
Canterbury have snared a major prize after luring Dallin Watene-Zelezniak to the club immediately.
The Bulldogs have beaten the Wests Tigers and Cowboys for the Kiwi captain’s services.
The Tigers were desperate to sign Watene-Zelezniak, who has been released from Penrith, however they couldn’t move a player on to make room in the salary cap for his services.