Scott Woodward picks us for the spoon!

•  Recent Topics
tigsta

Re: Scott Woodward picks us for the spoon!

Post by tigsta » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 12:51 pm

Golden wrote:Miller should have been put at halfback and given a go, Sheens was puzzleing with the way he brings in rookies

this is a guy who was going to put McDonnell on the wing for the grand final if Richards was out, this was also a guy who gave Lui a debut game in a must win game against Parra in 09, he also put in BMM for his debut in the semi against roosters and BMM made our first eror which turned the game.

I could never understand Sheens logic he seems he would throw a rookie into a big game and go all season not giving them a run.
Correct Miller should have been given a decent go.

Im very suspicious about the selections of the team last year. I dont think Sheens was the only one to blame. I think a few players (benji) had their input into team selections, and that might explain why Moltzen was never dropped despite his woeful performances.

Post by 2041 » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 1:12 pm

cktiger wrote:
Guest wrote:
He said the tigers would struggle because of the uncertainty of the halves. He was exactly right about that. I still think he predicted us to go well but thought it was crazy for the tigers to be favorites.

Believe me I hope he is wrong but his accuracy of the key issue that would hurt us last year was right. You have to give him that.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Well he must have used a crystal ball - the only reason there was uncertainty in the halves is because Tedesco was injured in the first game.
That's not true: there was uncertainty in the halves because no-one knew whether Moltzen would be able to play there. Moltzen didn't move to full back until a few weeks into the season (ie well after Tedesco's injury), and it only happened at all because he was useless at half back. In fact the only impact Tedesco's injury had on the half situation was giving Moltzen somewhere else to play when he got booted out of the 7 shirt for being rubbish. I still occasionally have a bitter chuckle when I recall the two or three occasions on which Moltzen took the fifth tackle kick, and inevitably dinked one 20 metres downfield straight into the arms of the onrushing full back.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 1:32 pm

If Moltzen was such a success at halfback thats where he would have stayed regardless of Tedesco

willow

Post by willow » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 1:59 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:If Moltzen was such a success at halfback thats where he would have stayed regardless of Tedesco
One thing that was painfully apparent when Moltzen did play halfback were several things:

1. No organising game
2. No running game
3. No passing game

Which is = predictable and non-threatening, which in turn = more pressure on Robbie and Benji. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the improvements Moltzen has made in his game at fullback, and whether he's good enough to keep Tedesco out this season.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 2:13 pm

Funny thing is , Willow , is that he had all those things his whole career playing half.
He only got three games last year behind a pack that was going backwards.
They bought Miller in for the 4th game and he failed behind a badly beaten pack as well.
It doesn't matter who plays half this year - if our pack doesn't stand up they're on a hiding to nothing.
I am really hoping Potter puts some starch into the forwards so the backs can do their stuff.

alex

Post by alex » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 2:43 pm

Scott who?

So many things wrong with this guy's arguments.

- We have the worst 25 in the comp? Has he not seen the Penrith squad?! We have the NZ Captain, the 2012 NSW Origin player of the series, arguably two of the brightest youngest backs in the game with Tedesco and Koro, arguably the best young forward in the game with Woods, and throw in some experience and class like Anasta and Lawrence and I truly believe we have one of the best balanced teams in the NRL.
- Doesn't recognise Potter's achievements as player or coach
- Moltzen will be our game breaker? Had form towards the end of 2012? PUH-LEASE
- Praises Miller's game then calls him average?
- Thinks Marshall would be a good fullback? He's obviously never paid attention to his defensive problems
- Doesn't know why we recruited Anasta but says we have inexperience in the halves. THAT'S WHY. We need his leadership and direction, he's a great recruit. Says the Roosters failed to turn him into a lock, but they made the GF with him in the backrow.
- Yes Ben Murdoch is on the way up, but IMO he is best used as an impact player off the bench. If he bothered to actually watch the way he plays he'd know this.
- Pettybourne came from the Roosters apparently
- No excitement in our squad apart from Benji and Farah, yet has a wet dream over Koro early in the piece.

He could not sound like any more of a bumbling fool if he tried

FARANGALANG

Post by FARANGALANG » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 2:52 pm

cktiger wrote:Funny thing is , Willow , is that he had all those things his whole career playing half.
They bought Miller in for the 4th game and he failed behind a badly beaten pack as well.
It doesn't matter who plays half this year - if our pack doesn't stand up they're on a hiding to nothing.
I am really hoping Potter puts some starch into the forwards so the backs can do their stuff.

100% agree.We are a chance to come last if we get our forward selections wrong.Our forwards really lack any fear factor.Woods is a super prop,Galloway is always injured,bell is very underated.Apart from that Pettybourne was a success at souths cause whilst being good he was behind a fearsome pack I just dont see eddie being as effective with us.Fulton is a very good footballer but Wests need more size and mongrel something he doesnt have.Bodene thompson is worthless.Adam blair at $500g most useless buy for tigers in their history.I am hoping BMM comes on this year.If BMM,blair(hope im not dreaming) and Bell have good years (woods is going to as we know about woodsy)we can play finals football and maybe win a few finals if not Wooden spoon is a distinct possibly.Having said all this I like Potter and I dont think its his fault it will be recruitment depts. fault.

tigsta

Post by tigsta » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 4:07 pm

alex wrote:Scott who?

- We have the worst 25 in the comp? Has he not seen the Penrith squad?! We have the NZ Captain, the 2012 NSW Origin player of the series, arguably two of the brightest youngest backs in the game with Tedesco and Koro, arguably the best young forward in the game with Woods, and throw in some experience and class like Anasta and Lawrence and I truly believe we have one of the best balanced teams in the NRL.
- Thinks Marshall would be a good fullback? He's obviously never paid attention to his defensive problems
- Doesn't know why we recruited Anasta but says we have inexperience in the halves. THAT'S WHY. We need his leadership and direction, he's a great recruit. Says the Roosters failed to turn him into a lock, but they made the GF with him in the backrow.
- Yes Ben Murdoch is on the way up, but IMO he is best used as an impact player off the bench. If he bothered to actually watch the way he plays he'd know this.
- No excitement in our squad apart from Benji and Farah, yet has a wet dream over Koro early in the piece.

Another person who has completely ignored his 2012 analysis.

I like your pettybourne from the roosters thing though,,, That was funny.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 4:49 pm

Golden wrote:Miller should have been put at halfback and given a go, Sheens was puzzleing with the way he brings in rookies

this is a guy who was going to put McDonnell on the wing for the grand final if Richards was out, this was also a guy who gave Lui a debut game in a must win game against Parra in 09, he also put in BMM for his debut in the semi against roosters and BMM made our first eror which turned the game.

I could never understand Sheens logic he seems he would throw a rookie into a big game and go all season not giving them a run.
I think Sheens is now a bit gun-shy about playing the littler players too early. He was on record as regretting playing Benji too young, which may have led to some shoulder problems. It certainly didn't help that Miller came into the side in what was (for me, at least) our worst performance for the year and got brushed aside with ease a number of times.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 5:01 pm

Tigsta are you scott Woodward? You seem to have a woody for him

tigsta

Post by tigsta » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 5:18 pm

Icon wrote:Tigsta are you scott Woodward? You seem to have a woody for him
Possibly,,, No way ,,, I wouldnt tip them for the spoon. Top 4 for sure.

Im just getting tired of the whos he ? and the So what comments about him when his predictions last year were on the money.

I dont like him and I dont agree with everything he says,,, But credit where its due please. Acknowledge that and then bag him.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 5:30 pm

cktiger wrote:Funny thing is , Willow , is that he had all those things his whole career playing half.

Ck your on the money, if a pack of forwards is not going forward everything else goes pear shape. I think in 2012 we never recovered from the retirement of Payten,the moving on of Gibbs and the sacking of Lui and Iam not sure if those issues have been addressed for 2013. Miller I have faith in, the forwards not so sure, although under the coaching of potter,they might be encouraged to play more like the other 15 clubs in the comp rather than a hybrid oz tag style they played under Sheens

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 5:47 pm

supercoach wrote:Miller I have faith in, the forwards not so sure, although under the coaching of potter,they might be encouraged to play more like the other 15 clubs in the comp rather than a hybrid oz tag style they played under Sheens
Unfortunately, even if Potter does want a more conventional forwards game-plan, he's still stuck with the pack that Sheens bought. I'm guessing Potter wouldn't mind a Luke Lewis or Willie Mason right now.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 5:52 pm

Yet you are obviously very offended and are putting so much stock into what this nobody is saying. Why do you care so much? please don't say you don't cos you wouldn't have dissected his analysis into a 10 point rebuttal otherwise

So a nobody from Rugby League Week tipped the Tigers for the spoon, do people really not have anything more worth while to worry about than this rubbish

Post by Guest » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 6:34 pm

willow wrote:Never heard of him so i'm inclined to dismiss his opinion entirely.
He often writes for "the roar" and as far as I can figure from previous articles he has written, he is actually a wests tigers fan..

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 7:44 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:

Yet you are obviously very offended and are putting so much stock into what this nobody is saying. Why do you care so much? please don't say you don't cos you wouldn't have dissected his analysis into a 10 point rebuttal otherwise

So a nobody from Rugby League Week tipped the Tigers for the spoon, do people really not have anything more worth while to worry about than this rubbish
Some people seem to take it personally......its funny, and interesting...if I was doing psychology at uni I'd definitely do a paper on fanatical sports fans

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 7:58 pm

I have a bet that if we get the spoon I am doing a nudie run around Tenerife Brisbane. My mate has to do the same if Penrith get the spoon. After the bet I showed him the tab sports odds. His head went down. I think the ladies of Tenerife are safe!
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 5:51 am

So with all the buzz about how right Woodward was in2012 I had to do some checking of myself to see how right he was.

He tipped the tigers equal 3rd favorites.
He tipped the storm equal 6th.
He tipped the knights equal favorites.
He tipped the bulldogs for 8th.

How exactly was he right other than by not rating the tigers outright favorites (he still rated them 3rd)?

Turns out he actually wasnt right about much at all...

http://www.championprofits.com/wp-conte ... L-2012.pdf