This will be the most farfetched thing you read today

ImageImageImage
pHyR3

This will be the most farfetched thing you read today

Post by pHyR3 » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 6:50 pm

Okay....I think the tigers will win.

I can already hear ink's keyboard typing ferociously about how our forwards have no depth, no go forward etc. etc.

Here's why:
But i really think they almost kept up with Manly's pack which is FAR more ferocious that storm's; Kite, Ballin, Watmough, Brenton Lawrence was great as was Horo. Compared to Storm which is, Smith....Hinchcliffe and maybe Hoffman, bromwich is alright too. To combat that the tigers have woodsy, buchanan, FARAH and a couple of solid impact players. So we should be able to match, or almost match them there i feel.

Next, our game against manly was very unlucky to end so disastorously on the score board, two of manly's tries were unfairly awarded with a forward pass forced by teddy and lyon getting a hand on the ball in an other. And we shoulda gotten that crappy obstruction one too, so final score: 16-8 w. marshall getting that penalty. Not disastrous given the rain which we NEVER play well in and teddy out of position.

If potter makes the back line:
1. Tedesco
2. Reddy
3. Ayshford
4. Brien
5. Moltzen

We should be okay,

the rest i'm leaving to luck which we bloody deserve right about now. I'm happy to be proven wrong next week, but i think we can cause the upset.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

derailed

Post by derailed » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:40 pm

To go down there and win is a big ask at any stage but it is even more difficult after the performance last night (or so far this season for that matter)

You talk about our forwards having the wood on them but i don't see it.

Our pack as it stands has one great but inexperienced prop in woods, A world class hooker in Farah. After that we don't have much - a rookie prop, two small backrowers - one a tackle machine the other wondering around the field most of the time, A few journeymen who show glimpses of greatness but no consistenc, and a lock we seems to fade in and out of games.

The storm pack may not be big names but they all know their role and follow it. Which is more than our guys appear to do. Being a forward is all about getting go forward for the backs to do their thing.

The storm will monster us unless there is a massive turn around in attitude. I hope that the biys can line up and I will be right behind them but I highly doubt we can come out and dominate the storm in Melbourne.

derailed

Post by derailed » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:42 pm

Also you want to throw two rookies into key backline positions against the storm in Melbourne. That is the best way to destroy a young man's confidence

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:06 pm

We beat the Storm in the WET last year, but Slater, Smith and Cronk were missing through Origin. This time it won't matter how well WT match their forwards because those 3 will carve us up regardless.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:08 pm

We won't come within 30 points if the Storm play like they have tonight, which you know they will

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:13 pm

Broncos look good against the Storm. And they suck.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 9:52 pm

My claim that we will win is overly optimistic and crazy, I know. i'd be over the moon if it worked out but realistically staying within 10 would please me and it's something we can EASILY do if we play together, as a unit, and give 100% (also, potter picks the best team/uses the bench well). That's the same goal i set for us against manly.

This forum's memory is very short term, if we play like we did 1st half against eels we will win by 6+. That was an amazing side and when watching, i thought i might be watching a repeat from 2010/11.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:31 pm

No chance. Melbourne were off their game in defence tonight. Im predicting another shut out. Storm 30-0

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:37 pm

pHyR3 wrote:My claim that we will win is overly optimistic and crazy, I know. i'd be over the moon if it worked out but realistically staying within 10 would please me and it's something we can EASILY do if we play together, as a unit, and give 100% (also, potter picks the best team/uses the bench well). That's the same goal i set for us against manly.

This forum's memory is very short term, if we play like we did 1st half against eels we will win by 6+. That was an amazing side and when watching, i thought i might be watching a repeat from 2010/11.
Good lord

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 11:36 pm

I like the positive thinking and we always seem to step up against the Storm - Sheens always had a reasonable game plan for them.

But what is with you and Brien? I have heard nothing of him since the season started, and before that only that he scored 5 tries in trial games. We have enough rookies in our squad.

Storm by 16, but that's ok. I honestly think it may have to get worse before it gets better but it will get better. The signs are there in defense and the scores put on us so far are not a fair reflection of how we are defending. We just need to concentrate on it for 80 mins.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:58 am

We will go a long way to hanging with the Storm if we work our pigs well. First half against Parra we werent banging them in around the markers off Farah service, we gave them half a chance by Robbie serving the halves and them feeding the forwards. It forces Marshall and Miller to engage the defensive line and the big boys the chance to probe for gaps... Its a win win situation for us, halves are always in motion and the props not fed to the wolves. Its the kind of attacking structure we need instead of this free-wheeling crap we revert to.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 9:51 am

Tigersmurf wrote:I like the positive thinking and we always seem to step up against the Storm - Sheens always had a reasonable game plan for them.

But what is with you and Brien? I have heard nothing of him since the season started, and before that only that he scored 5 tries in trial games. We have enough rookies in our squad.

Storm by 16, but that's ok. I honestly think it may have to get worse before it gets better but it will get better. The signs are there in defense and the scores put on us so far are not a fair reflection of how we are defending. We just need to concentrate on it for 80 mins.
I quite like his finishing power which is something we have lacked this season; i also went and saw one of his games recently, he was tryless i think but DAMN did he bend that line when we were in their 20. and he's pretty small too...

I think he could have gotten a try vs manly in that first 20min where ayshford/lawrence couldn't.

Never seen simona play, i thnk potter likes him a bit more, and I have no opinion on him. If he's the man for the job, i have no qualms playing him over brien.

Snodgrass

Post by Snodgrass » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:04 am

I'll be happy if we just keep putting in. To say we were unlucky against Manly is ridiculous. They gifted us two seasons worth of pill in the first half ... Melbourne won't be doing that.

Keep them under 40 and we'll have done reasonably well.
. Please Note ... The somewhat garbled opinion reproduced above is not the work of former Western Suburbs, Newtown and Parramatta second rower Warren Snodgrass.

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:15 am

I am not sure if our expectations are running away with reality, Coach Potter is a work in progress we are only 4 games in and yes I would love to have seen a closer game between Manly and ourselves, but I am sure like many except maybe the most one eyed supporters would have tipped us to win. Yes there were questionable decisions and even team selections and even the weather played its part, but can we leave the pitch forks and nooses till we give the team and coach a fair go. Having said this I am sure they will be up for a bounce back against the storm, but I am still not expecting a miracle or a win as long as they are having a go.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:17 am

No game is a foregone conclusion...especially in professional sport

Melb conceded 5 tries last night

An e/w, sitting on the fence thread.
Nice try phyre

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:55 am

MacDougall wrote:Broncos look good against the Storm. And they suck.
Broncos got a huge piggyback by the men in pink who responded to the home crowd.

The original poster must be on a bender ,reddy and moltz in the same ,two rookies in the back line is never going to work.

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:30 pm

Reckons West tiger can beat Melbourne Storm in Melbourne.

I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:40 pm

I think the general consensus around rugby league circles would be Melbourne 13+ and more likely 19+

Ayshford will have his work cut out this week thats for sure and if he is having one of his bad defensive nights it could be 30+ or 40+

Actually be very tempted to move Blair into the second row this week for that very reason