Official - Josh Reynolds Signs Megathread

swag tiger

Re: Official - Josh Reynolds Signs Megathread

Post by swag tiger » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:46 pm

Why Reynolds passed on the Sharks to become a Tiger
By Christian Nicolussi
9 June 2018 — 6:00pm

The easy option for Josh Reynolds would have been to sign with Cronulla. They wanted him. He already called the Shire home. There was a golden opportunity to join a star-studded roster that was more than capable of winning another NRL title.

It made sense that the Cronulla club was about to roll out the black, white and blue carpet for yet another larrikin. There were conversations with coach Shane Flanagan. Even his old mate from the Bulldogs, Mick Ennis, did his best sales pitch.

So what on earth possessed "Grubby" to pass on the Sharkies for the Wests Tigers? Sure, there were 3.2 million reasons to ink a deal for four years. But Reynolds said there was so much more to it than cash.

"The Tigers were a new challenge," Reynolds told The Sun-Herald as he prepared to play against the Sharks on Sunday afternoon.

"My last year or two at the Dogs, I was only playing thereabouts. I wasn't really happy with where I was at, and I felt if I had gone to the Sharks, I could have got away with plodding along and playing OK.

"This sounds weird, and I've had a laugh with Ivan [Cleary] about this, but I could play terribly for the Dogs, score a try late and we win the game, and people were like, 'great game'.

"I was like, 'no, that wasn't a great game'.

"I spoke with 'Flanno'. I spoke with some really influential people in my life like Mick Ennis, who was pushing me to go there and who had a great final two years there.

"The Sharks were a great side all over the park. They already had their blueprint to be a good team for a long time.

"But by coming to the Tigers, I was forced to come out of my shell and become a leader.

"Now I'm glad to be part of this new challenge, a part of a new culture and this place.

"But by coming to the Tigers, I was forced to come out of my shell and become a leader."
"I'm yet to play many games for the Tigers, but I know the club will mould me into a better player and better person.''

When Reynolds signed with the Tigers, he did not even bother to make the trek from his Shire home to Concord to check out the club's facilities.

He knew a flashy new dumbbell weighed as much as a dumbbell that had gathered dust for 20 years.

He liked Cleary's style. He also had plenty of time for Flanno.

But if he wanted to go to that next level and not ''plod along'' in a team of stars where a poor game could go unnoticed, Reynolds needed to come to the Tigers – a team, he says, that ''has no egos, no superstars, just a bunch of blokes who want to get the job done''.

Reynolds has never been a superstar, certainly has no ego, and what he lacks in natural skill he makes up for with heart.

Corey Thompson, who also played with Reynolds at Canterbury, said: "He's the guy you want beside you when you're running out.

"He will always give you 100 per cent and try to lift you when you're tired.

"I didn't see him for two years after I went to England, but on the first day of pre-season training, he was exactly the same bloke.

"You can still hear him talking when you walk into the dressing room. When you're parking your car, you can hear his laugh from about 100m away.

"If you say something smart, Grubby always fires back something and you don't have a reply for him. "He never gets s*** when you give it to him. He always puts a smile on your face.''

Reynolds' infectious energy was there to see last Sunday when, in just his third game for the Tigers, he leapt high and forced Sydney Roosters hitman Sio Siua Taukeiaho to spill the ball.

The play fired up the Tigers and gave them one final crack at the Roosters.

"I don't know if it was a big shot, I think I got lucky,'' Reynolds said.

"He was running at me all game.

"That's the sort of thing I have to do.

"It felt good. I went home that night disappointed we lost, but I felt good because I had got back into it.''

Reynolds signed for some serious money to play the very serious position of five-eighth.

But a hamstring injury paved the way for "King Benji'' to become the temporary owner of the No.6 jersey at the start of the season.

Reynolds debuted for the Tigers against Manly in round six, only to suffer a shoulder injury.

He's now played the past two games as a back-up hooker, and there are no plans in the short term to return to the halves.

Reynolds, 29, says the move has opened his eyes and, when he does shift back to the halves, he will do so with a new-found appreciation for what the men in the middle have to put up with.

"I didn't realise how tough it was in the middle, it's a real battle and so different to an edge,'' Reynolds said.

"I'm slowly learning the ins and outs, when to run, when to conserve energy. Guys like 'Rusty' [Russell Packer] and Timmy Grant have been really good for me.

"In that Manly game, I tried to do it all at once and had no energy for the little things. I got done on an inside ball because I was so stuffed.

"It's good because I think it will be good for my defence.

"I have a lot of respect for the 'tights', and realise how much work they do.''

Although a Cronulla local in recent years, Reynolds has never played an NRL game at Shark Park.

He cannot wait to rip in against the likes of Paul Gallen, the veteran Shark he celebrated a rare Origin series victory with in 2014.

Reynolds was given the flick for the Blues the next year, despite playing five-eighth in the drought-breaking side.

He was at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday night on behalf of the NRL and could not believe the performance of former Tigers pin-up James Tedesco.

"I don't think I've seen an individual performance like that. Ever. It was like a man playing against boys. I'm mates with Teddy. I was so happy for him.''

Another mate of Reynolds, Moses Mbye, could now become the eventual owner of Tedesco's old Tigers No.1 jersey.

If the mail is right, Mbye will get a Belmore Oval farewell next weekend before arriving at the Tigers before June 30.

Reynolds has been happy to spread the Tigers love with Mbye. The nervousness and uncertainty Reynolds can hear down the other end of the phone when chatting to Mbye is exactly what he went through a tick over 12 months ago, when he was also squeezed out of the Family Club.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 7:15 am

I wouldn't wanna play for the sharks either....
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:31 am

An offer to good to refuse..... nice story Josh.

Post by 851 » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 10:26 am

Great bloke, does not want to plod to earn his money, score a late try after playing a bad game and get told you went alright.
That has been Beni for the last 7 weeks, people see one good thing and say he had a good game. Grub actually acknowledged that was him, wish Benji would
Go hard or go home

tigerfanatic

Post by tigerfanatic » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm

Josh Reynolds speaking on NRL 360.. Sounds like he'll be announcing his season is over tomorrow.. Must have something to do with his shoulder again. His body isn't up to NRL level anymore. Its scary we have invested 4yrs in the guy.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm

tigerfanatic wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm
Josh Reynolds speaking on NRL 360.. Sounds like he'll be announcing his season is over tomorrow.. Must have something to do with his shoulder again. His body isn't up to NRL level anymore. Its scary we have invested 4yrs in the guy.
He can't see out his contract
Hes cooked.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:49 pm

tigerfanatic wrote:
Looking like a very expensive mistake.
No more plodders!
:sign:

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:50 pm

tigerfanatic wrote:
Perhaps a medical retirement?
Its an opinion!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:51 pm

WT2K wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:49 pm
tigerfanatic wrote:
Hey, what could we do. We only had an entire salary cap at our disposal. We just need another 2-3 years. Then watch out.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:53 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:51 pm
WT2K wrote:
tigerfanatic wrote:
Hey, what could we do. We only had an entire salary cap at our disposal. We just need another 2-3 years. Then watch out.
I'm sure our media team will start pushing the rebuilding line soon enough
No more plodders!
:sign:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:08 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:50 pm
tigerfanatic wrote:
Perhaps a medical retirement?
Yeah I'm pretty sure we will get cap exemption if he's forced to retire.
Damn shame.... He is great for culture...
We gotta start recruiting fully fit players this crap needs to stop

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:13 pm

Only way you will get an exemption if it is an entirely new injury...Josh has had shoulder and hammy issues in the past..

Will not fly with the Insurance Company..they aren't easily fooled..Ie see Watmong..

Lets hope results are positive
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Post by 851 » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:13 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
WT2K wrote:
tigerfanatic wrote:
We tried to buy a quality half, they all knocked us back, you can't force people to come here if they don't want to :deadhorse:
Go hard or go home

Post by 851 » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:13 pm
Only way you will get an exemption if it is an entirely new injury...Josh has had shoulder and hammy issues in the past..

Will not fly with the Insurance Company..they aren't easily fooled..Ie see Watmong..

Lets hope results are positive
The dogs are having a run at it with Foran, don't think that will fly either
Go hard or go home

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:20 pm

After that try he scored his shoulder looked busted, was struggling to raise his arm in tackles.

He probably needs surgery, they should just bite the bullet and get it done asap with Benji due back.

Season is basically dusted unless a miracle happens.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm

851 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
WT2K wrote:
tigerfanatic wrote:
We tried to buy a quality half, they all knocked us back, you can't force people to come here if they don't want to :deadhorse:
But at least we made offers to quality players. That's pretty good for a club like ours. I'm happy with that.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:27 pm

Lovely, some are already praying for a medical retirement...
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:29 pm

851 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
WT2K wrote:
tigerfanatic wrote:
Good to see the narrative changes with the change of coach.