Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Seantice

Re: Signing Suggestions & Rumours THREAD..

Post by Seantice » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:28 pm

On Cook. I don't this k he's worth 900k.
Has anyone suggested that cool does all his dummy half runs after their big forwards make big post contact metres? Our forwards don't do that so Cooks influence would be limited.

I'd rather keep Liddle and get the good centre and agressive forward we really need.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:39 pm

idk, wats gonna happen to Foran...... cause imo rhys martin is a guaranteed starter and goal kicker for them, he is a freak
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:52 pm

2041 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:39 pm
hodgo wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:28 pm
It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.
Fully.
I love Farah but he is only here for transition purposes.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
Exactly. It's all about cap management for us. Cook is great but he isn't worth 10% of our cap or anywhere close to it.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 6:08 pm

Earl wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:52 pm
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:
It does my head in that people blow up about the lack of quality signings and then whinge when we go after the best hooker in the game not named smith.

You get cook and others will come. You take the best players you can and any position and build around them. At the moment we dont have a player in the top 3 in their position anywhere on the field.
Fully.
Liddle is supposed to be the transitionee (per se), but if we could get Cook this is a no-brainer.

Note: this is not to say we don't still need a proper strike forward and a class centre.
You've just summed up why people are wary of signing Cook and you don't even realise it.

If Cook signs for 900k a year that's 10% of the cap gone for the next four years, and with it a fair slice of the likelihood that the Tigers will be able to compete the next time a proper strike forward or a class centre become available.

There are people on here who airily demand signings with absolutely no acknowledgment of the consequences for the club's cap position. It was the same when the Wighton rumours were circling. Lots of people said we should sign him to play centre. I said signing a poor fullback on a 700k contract because we think he might go better in the centres was insane. Someone replied "I don't think anyone's talking about signing him for 700k." But that's the contract he's on - he's not going to come here for less.

Cook's a good player; I don't think anyone disputes that. But the question isn't whether he's good - the questions are whether he's the player we need and whether he's good enough to justify the proportion of the cap he's expected to demand. Given hooker is about the only position on the park where the Tigers have the most precious commodity in the NRL - a young player who may be able to produce performances above his cap spend - there is a very, very strong argument that locking ourselves into a mammoth contract in that position would be a very stupid move indeed.

It's like, if I have a perfectly decent Toyota and my house is falling down, and someone offers to sell me a full price Maserati. The sensible response is "no thanks, my car is fine and I really need to spend the money I've saved repairing my house or, even better, waiting for a bargain to come along so I can move to a better house." People on here say "that Maserati is way better than our Toyota, let's spend all our money on it".
Exactly. It's all about cap management for us. Cook is great but he isn't worth 10% of our cap or anywhere close to it.
x2 as good as he has been this year it is not a position that we need to throw massive money at.An aggresive forward who bends the line and a center with pace are more urgent imo

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 6:11 pm

TheDaBoss wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:39 pm
idk, wats gonna happen to Foran...... cause imo rhys martin is a guaranteed starter and goal kicker for them, he is a freak
They play different positions so they can both be in the team

Bones

Post by Bones » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 6:32 pm

851 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:58 pm
Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:54 pm
Nah lets not sign the current Australian and NSW Origin hooker...
But what about Liddle they say, but in fairness to them, we have bigger issues to attend to, outside back and middle forward, but if you get the chance to sign an Australian rep player, you probably take it
We have cap space (reportedly) for a forward and centre in 2019. Cook would be 2020 onwards so it isn’t a case of one or the other, we can fill the spots for next year and sign Cook.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:24 pm

yeti wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 11:22 am
jadtiger wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:46 am
I really hope there is nothing to the Cook speculation.In the right pack he would do well but that pack is not one we have + the big dollars he would want should be definately spent on our weaker spots
If Madge reckons he is worth the $$$ then I'm ok with that. He is the coach, after all. He lives and dies by his decisions.
100%, who are we to second guess the coach

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:25 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 4:54 pm
Nah lets not sign the current Australian and NSW Origin hooker...
Exactly Geo - spot on as usual.

krayola

Post by krayola » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:37 pm

Here's to Soni Luke, the least lauded WT signing in recent memory.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:55 pm

2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

Bingo!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:06 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:24 pm
yeti wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 11:22 am
jadtiger wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:46 am
I really hope there is nothing to the Cook speculation.In the right pack he would do well but that pack is not one we have + the big dollars he would want should be definately spent on our weaker spots
If Madge reckons he is worth the $$$ then I'm ok with that. He is the coach, after all. He lives and dies by his decisions.
100%, who are we to second guess the coach
I can cop someone not rating a player and not wanting us to sign him, but I dont get it when people talk about a players worth. Not too many ,if any at all, on here know what we offer anyone or what our salary cap position is. All I know for sure is that Cook is a big upgrade on what we have.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:07 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:55 pm
2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

Bingo!
How is that bingo? Signing Cook would improve the team(house).

GB6905

Post by GB6905 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi guys this is only my second ever post. What I can say about our recruitment is that Pascoe knew six months ago exactly what we needed. I was on this years members committee and was super impressed by his knowledge and willingness to listen to our wants as well.

As he stated. We all know we need a top class centre and front rower but please let me know anyone out there available and we will grab them.

So it is not that our recruitment team don’t know what we need it is about waiting for he right one to become available and them wanting to come here.

Just thought I would share my insight and let you know that they definitely know what you guys are saying and what we all want.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:40 pm

GB6905 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:24 pm
Hi guys this is only my second ever post. What I can say about our recruitment is that Pascoe knew six months ago exactly what we needed. I was on this years members committee and was super impressed by his knowledge and willingness to listen to our wants as well.

As he stated. We all know we need a top class centre and front rower but please let me know anyone out there available and we will grab them.

So it is not that our recruitment team don’t know what we need it is about waiting for he right one to become available and them wanting to come here.

Just thought I would share my insight and let you know that they definitely know what you guys are saying and what we all want.
Good post thanks.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:49 pm

GB6905 wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:24 pm

cheers man :sign:
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 8:50 pm

https://static.zerotackle.com/wp-conten ... jpg?x14366

Cameron Munster looking more and more like Herman every day! All we need is a couple of bolts in his neck and we're good to go :lol:

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm

2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

Well take a pick

The Maserati will get you to the hardware store and home quicker to do the repairs

The Toyota will never pass or get ahead of the car in front unless it has a major upgrade

Give me the Masersti please

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 9:16 pm

2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
hodgo wrote:

Fully.

i understand what you are saying but your resting one of our most important positions on a kid that cant stay on the park, and has not shown anywhere near the potential required to be a good hooker let alone a game changer.