Tim Simona

Earl

Re: Tim Simona

Post by Earl » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:03 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:18 pm
Some of the posters on here are so righteous they would put Mother Superior to shame.
They would find flaws with her.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:07 pm

hammertime wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 2:40 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:11 pm
What a way to ruin his career and his reputation. I always considered him one of the best guys in the game. Met him a couple times and he was the coolest guy. And as a player he was underrated.

It’s a tricky one. While in society, assault is much worse than match fixing, players who have committed assault aren’t sabotaging the results of games. When you are match fixing, it would be hard to earn the trust back. When you have a bad game, when you make a mistake, eyebrows raise. But that’s something he has to live with.
Well summarised GNR. Add that to the aspect that aggression is part of the game, you almost expect some bad eggs in there with off-field violence.

What you don't expect is for guys to undercut their teammates.
He didn't though. He didn't throw any games. It's not really a good summary of what happened because he gave his best on the field.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:09 pm

Earl wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:07 pm
hammertime wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
What a way to ruin his career and his reputation. I always considered him one of the best guys in the game. Met him a couple times and he was the coolest guy. And as a player he was underrated.

It’s a tricky one. While in society, assault is much worse than match fixing, players who have committed assault aren’t sabotaging the results of games. When you are match fixing, it would be hard to earn the trust back. When you have a bad game, when you make a mistake, eyebrows raise. But that’s something he has to live with.
Well summarised GNR. Add that to the aspect that aggression is part of the game, you almost expect some bad eggs in there with off-field violence.

He didn't though. He didn't throw any games. It's not really a good summary of what happened because he gave his best on the field.
I think the jury is out. I remember a few people complaining about bad decisions he made in scoring opportunities before anything was made public.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:37 pm

I think if he is judged by the NRL to have done his time, done remedial actions to address whatever demons caused the problems in the first place and has / is remorseful over his actions (which I believe he is) he deserves another chance, and I've no probs if the WT ask him to come back given the first bits mentioned being done.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:53 pm

He’s done his time. Id bring him back. Slot straight back into left centre. Instant strike power!

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:55 pm

Masterton wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:09 pm
Earl wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:07 pm
hammertime wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

I think the jury is out. I remember a few people complaining about bad decisions he made in scoring opportunities before anything was made public.
I remember seeing some analysis suggesting that he did make some decisions which led directly to the other team being in strong try-scoring positions, but I don't recall if that 'analysis' was matched to the times he bet on the other players to score.

I'm not trying to shift the blame here, or make any allegations, but does anyone know if he has the same partner which he had at the time? I think she was involved too at the time, or at least knew about it and didn't discourage it. When a person is trying to change themself, and they have a partner who is encouraging (or at least not discouraging) the old behaviour, then it makes it harder or less likely to change. It's great if the partner is trying to change too, but otherwise...

Think of quitting smoking or drinking or anything. You're more likely to change your behaviour if you take yourself out of situations which encourage the old behaviour. I'm suggesting it might be the same thing here.

I'm just asking the questions here, I'm not laying blame at the partner.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:56 pm

There seems to be a double standard in Australian sports. Simona has now been out of rugby league for many years for what has be called "cheating". Some on this forum think that he should never return to NRL.

On the other hand Australian Cricket's former " hero" Dave Warner was clearly found to have cheated in a high level international test match. He was suspended for only around 15 months. Yet so many are clamouring for Warner to come back to test cricket as soon as possible, even at the expense of younger cricketers who have earned their test place while Warner has been, in the past months, playing cricket at a lower than Shield level.

If Warner is back in the test cricket fold after only 15 months suspension I think Simona has been very badly done by.

compare re casting aspersions

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 4:08 pm

couldn't agree more,newtown.
i dont want warner back but it seems to be a forgone conclusion hell be reinstated.
there is the difference that simona's actions were for personal gain whilst warners actions were to benefit the team.

anyway,didnt realise that simona was on the verge of signing with souths when the you know what hit the fan.
for those who remember bob cooper,he couldnt come back after 12 months out of the game- simona,i think,needs to reinvent himself and forget about an nrl return.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 4:45 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:04 am
Stomping on heads OK..
If he has served whatever penalty that the NRL gave him, he deserves a second chance along with others who have received the same

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:12 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:28 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:18 pm
Some of the posters on here are so righteous they would put Mother Superior to shame.
Should those people (include myself) lower our standards to the level of criminals?
Where did I say you had to lower you're standards. I'm merely pointing out how quick some of the posters on here are at judging and crucifying a guy for his mistakes. Surely they must have never put a foot wrong in their lives.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:41 pm

Probably not the best time for Tim to be asking for a second chance.
Still remember the four week suspension he was given for what looked like a nothing tackle when the NRL decided that they were going to get tough on crusher tackles..toughest penalty Id seen on a player for a tackle like that.
With all that has gone on lately with player behaviour I'll be very shocked if they even consider letting him back in, and will probably double the existing penalty.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:55 pm

He did the wrong think & has paid the price, others have done worse & are still playing.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:58 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:41 pm
Probably not the best time for Tim to be asking for a second chance.
Still remember the four week suspension he was given for what looked like a nothing tackle when the NRL decided that they were going to get tough on crusher tackles..toughest penalty Id seen on a player for a tackle like that.
With all that has gone on lately with player behaviour I'll be very shocked if they even consider letting him back in, and will probably double the existing penalty.
It will be very interesting to see
what the NRL does with players such as Hayne, Musgrove, Chee Kam and other NRL players who will be attending court in the next monthe or three. Will the NRL soften their stance on their favoured players?

Pyjamaztehboss

Post by Pyjamaztehboss » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 8:52 pm

Tim was one of my favourite players. If the nrl/tigers think he has been rehabilitated, then I'm ok.
Everyone deserves a second chance.
twitter: @pyjamaztheboss

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 8:52 pm

I will be quite upset if the NRL don't take a hard stance.

They did with Pascoe.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 11:51 pm

Knuckles wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 1:00 pm
Everyone deserves a second chance ....... who on here hasn't made mistakes in life.
Exactly, he was a gun centre and would love to have him back.
I know these guys are on decent contracts these days but they are constantly under the spotlight and sacrifice their golden years to get there.
I don’t believe he threw games, just placed his bets wisely. Horse trainers place bets against their own horses all the time. There’s no prize for loyalty.
He has a point to prove now.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 6:34 am

He was definitely one of my favourites, but his day is done.

If he has paid his penalty, that's good for him moving forward. But I don't get the mentality in sport where we have to give these guys another go, just because. For every Simona, or any other player threatening going to rugby, or retiring or whatever, there is 100 young blokes looking for a break in the game that are honest, sensible and have integrity.

There might be a place for Simona, but not playing.

And as for the "We all make mistakes " line....... I'm not sure you can compare his deliberate and continued actions, knowing they are grossly wrong, with the general mistakes most of us make.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 6:36 am

I thought i read earlier last year that gus was trying to sign him to an off field role at panthers

Probably than try and get him cleared by the NRL and they would probably get him on the cheap too because he would feel indebted to Gus and also be desparate to get a start