Geo. wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 2:23 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 1:30 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 1:12 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 12:05 pm
People are in a little bit of denial on this one. Nathan more than likely chose Penrith over us because they are a better club.

The key factors like squad strength and facilities are what good class players look at.

What Tiger Tiger and myself have highlighted is that players might be inclined to think that if the Tigers arent good enough for the coach's son then why would it be good enough for me.

Just another down side of this whole Gould/Penrith mess.
Possible recruits won't give Nathan a 2nd thought... Except maybe in the knowledge what an attraction it is to stay and play with your mates is

Do you think our brand is in as strong a position as it was before this story of Ivan to Panthers broke?

Most good judges had Nathan playing for his dad at the Tigers and this club on a sharp upward spiral.

Now we have uncertainty over the coach and Nathan sticking solid with Penrith. Its not a great outcome and people are going to express that on a public forum.
Most good judges..do you mean Buzz Weidler Pooper and Read....lol..

I mean myself 😂
Its an opinion!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:36 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 2:07 pm
LMAO.... "reputable rumours"
That's gotta challenge "my source is my TV"
Eddie-esque

"I don't care about logic, this is football!"

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:38 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 2:05 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 1:48 pm
The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

Possible recruits won't give Nathan a 2nd thought... Except maybe in the knowledge what an attraction it is to stay and play with your mates is

Do you think our brand is in as strong a position as it was before this story of Ivan to Panthers broke?

Most good judges had Nathan playing for his dad at the Tigers and this club on a sharp upward spiral.

Now we have uncertainty over the coach and Nathan sticking solid with Penrith. Its not a great outcome and people are going to express that on a public forum.
'Most good judges' obviously got it wrong, indeed like lots of other things.
Hahahah NT, you beat me to it

I think our brand is much the same as it has always been
Potential recruits know Ivan's here for the next two and Ciraldo is at Penrith next year as Gus said yesterday
I often muse on the "good judges" and how much money they must make off football predictions. Like those folks that tipped Eels for Top 4 2018, or identified Anthony Seibold as an unheralded first-year rookie, or that Melbourne could struggle without Cooper Cronk.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:54 pm

The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
People are in a little bit of denial on this one. Nathan more than likely chose Penrith over us because they are a better club.

The key factors like squad strength and facilities are what good class players look at.

What Tiger Tiger and myself have highlighted is that players might be inclined to think that if the Tigers arent good enough for the coach's son then why would it be good enough for me.

The longer this drags on the more we see that the journos are on the money with this story. The Cleary family have certainly de valued our brand. Wouldn’t you love a Q&A with the coach right now lol

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:56 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 1:47 pm
The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

Add to that rumours put forward by reputable sources (the QUEEN) that this Penrith saga has cost us at least one potential recruit already, and that the WT club are dealing with it quite seriously in that if Ivan is making other long term plans than we are looking at other short term plans.

I'll feel a lot better about all this, when the following few things happen:

1) We re-sign Brooks, (I question the delay?)
2) We sign at least 1 more (preferably 2 or 3) very solid decent first graders
3) Ivan makes clear that he is not going to Penrith in 2021, that he is committed to WT long term. How this exactly happens, I don't precisely know, but it needs to be sorted somehow. Simply saying I don't respond to rumours is not good enough, as the rumours have certainly damaged his integrity (as an unsubstantiated untrue rumour can damage the integrity of a school teacher)
4) Ivan needs to stop NOW saying or implying any innuendo about him coaching his son. Now it implies that he wants to leave, so he cannot make that innuendo anymore. Focus on WT first thank you.
Well said, you’ve summed it up nicely on what needs to happen ASAP.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 5:17 pm

Makes you wonder whether the Clearys regret the media they did in regard to their desire to be together at the same club. They were hardly subtle about it, and they probably could have achieved it without all the drama and with Ivans rep not quesrtioned if they had just kept in house.
If you are going to ride the media circus you have to take the good with the bad.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 5:46 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 5:17 pm
Makes you wonder whether the Clearys regret the media they did in regard to their desire to be together at the same club. They were hardly subtle about it, and they probably could have achieved it without all the drama and with Ivans rep not quesrtioned if they had just kept in house.
If you are going to ride the media circus you have to take the good with the bad.
Yes, I have been thinking the same thing.
I actually got the impression that Ivan really thought Nathan would come to the Tigers. I suppose that's what he wanted me to think. The purpose of which was? Drive up Nathan's price? Genuine belief he would come to the Tigers?
Never have a Latte with your mates!
Every cup of coffee holds an NRL rumour, if you look hard enough.
Can I have a mug of conspiracy please.
"Quality Stupidity"

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:00 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:36 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 2:07 pm
LMAO.... "reputable rumours"
That's gotta challenge "my source is my TV"
Eddie-esque

"I don't care about logic, this is football!"
At least get the quote right.

Its was "I don't care about logic this is Rugby League" !!

Im still not convinced Cleary will be our coach in 2019.

I would hold him to his deal but but the likes of Maguire around and possibly Bennett things could change form our end.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:20 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:54 pm
The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

The longer this drags on the more we see that the journos are on the money with this story. The Cleary family have certainly de valued our brand. Wouldn’t you love a Q&A with the coach right now lol
What is dragging on?
Media speculation?
Fan paranoia?
Pascoe has said nothing has changed.

What is devaluing our brand? Jumpy 'fans' dancing to the media (paranoia paddlers) tune?
"Quality Stupidity"

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:32 pm

The only thing dragging on is this thread.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:41 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

Add to that rumours put forward by reputable sources (the QUEEN) that this Penrith saga has cost us at least one potential recruit already, and that the WT club are dealing with it quite seriously in that if Ivan is making other long term plans than we are looking at other short term plans.

3) Ivan makes clear that he is not going to Penrith in 2021, that he is committed to WT long term. How this exactly happens, I don't precisely know, but it needs to be sorted somehow. Simply saying I don't respond to rumours is not good enough, as the rumours have certainly damaged his integrity (as an unsubstantiated untrue rumour can damage the integrity of a school teacher)
4) Ivan needs to stop NOW saying or implying any innuendo about him coaching his son. Now it implies that he wants to leave, so he cannot make that innuendo anymore. Focus on WT first thank you.
100% agree to all your points.

And Ivan is not just damaging his own integrity- he is damaging our brand, and we certainly don’t need that.

I wonder how everyone would feel if we finish 9th again next year and discover we missed signing 1 or 2 good players because of all this speculation
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:45 pm

Won’t somebody please think of our brand!!!

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:50 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:41 pm
TigerTiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

And Ivan is not just damaging his own integrity- he is damaging our brand, and we certainly don’t need that.

I wonder how everyone would feel if we finish 9th again next year and discover we missed signing 1 or 2 good players because of all this speculation
Of course an alternative, and far more positive, perspective is that the perceived damage to Ivan's integrity will give Ivan a lot of incentive to prove the doubters wrong.
Oh never mind. Give up now. 2019 is a write off. Oh woe is me.
"Quality Stupidity"

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:51 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

I dont know about everyone but i know a fair few of the people trying to shut down any criticism of Cleary would be well and truly happy to finish 9th again. Its an achievement to some
Its an opinion!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:55 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:50 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

Of course an alternative, and far more positive, perspective is that the perceived damage to Ivan's integrity will give Ivan a lot of incentive to prove the doubters wrong.
Why do you have to personalise the debate? I’m not saying we’re giving up. I’m saying this upheaval (yes another one) could be and possibly has, cost us good players. But hey, the usual leftovers will still be there for us to recruit!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 7:09 pm

I haven't personalised anything. If the shoe fits?

"has, cost us good players" Exaggeration? My understanding is, that the 'Ivan Cleary issue', may have cost us one good player.
.......and so? Oh yes, of course, we'll recruit leftovers!
Now where's them shoes?

Personally, I think the 'fan' buy-in to all the media speculation drives the continued attention and assists in any perceived devaluation of the WT brand.

Justin Pascoe has said; Nothing has changed.
"Quality Stupidity"

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 7:11 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:55 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:50 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:

Why do you have to personalise the debate? I’m not saying we’re giving up. I’m saying this upheaval (yes another one) could be and possibly has, cost us good players. But hey, the usual leftovers will still be there for us to recruit!
Yeah, like 2 players playing in a grand final this weekend. Leftovers lol.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 7:13 pm

I trust Pascoe and the board to get the best out of this for the club, whatever that may be.

You can hardly blame WT management for some fat headed bee sting head and what he does. It's not their fault.

Trust the management, these aren't the idiots from a few years ago, this a professional board on the improve.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!