Ryan Matterson signs Offical

maxxy86

Re: Ryan Matterson signs Offical

Post by maxxy86 » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:11 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 7:44 am
WT2K wrote:
Mon 24 Sep, 2018 8:29 pm
If I was to guess I'd say that garner will be coming off the bench next season with rowdy and Matto starting. ET will remain at lock imo
Still think Taylor at lock is a weakness. Locks these days are generally big guys who can do some damage, think Taumalolo, Tapau, Frizell/De Belin etc.
I agree with Taylor comment..... not sure whether we need the size but Rowdy could fill in at 13 i reckon
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:45 am

maxxy86 wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:11 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
WT2K wrote:
If I was to guess I'd say that garner will be coming off the bench next season with rowdy and Matto starting. ET will remain at lock imo
Still think Taylor at lock is a weakness. Locks these days are generally big guys who can do some damage, think Taumalolo, Tapau, Frizell/De Belin etc.
I agree with Taylor comment..... not sure whether we need the size but Rowdy could fill in at 13 i reckon
Well if we sign Taumalolo or Taupau or Frizell then great but at is stands the options for lock are Taylor, Eisenhuth or Aloiai. Of those I think Taylor adds the most overall. It's definitely an area we could improve through recruitment though...

There is no chance they'll move Lawrence there, his biggest strength is hole running on the left edge. I also don't think we'll see Twal or Matulino moved there unless we recruit more middle forwards, in which case Twal would be a real option.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:07 am

Nelson wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:45 am
maxxy86 wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
WT2K wrote:
Well if we sign Taumalolo or Taupau or Frizell then great but at is stands the options for lock are Taylor, Eisenhuth or Aloiai. Of those I think Taylor adds the most overall. It's definitely an area we could improve through recruitment though...

There is no chance they'll move Lawrence there, his biggest strength is hole running on the left edge. I also don't think we'll see Twal or Matulino moved there unless we recruit more middle forwards, in which case Twal would be a real option.
I'd like to see Twal at lock, but as you said, we need more big middle forwards first.

This is why I think someone like Merrin would be a good option if we can get him.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:03 am

Taylor has about 40 tackles a game. Eisenhuth and Aloiai miss about the same.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:41 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:03 am
You sure about that? Aloiai maybe but Eisenhuth misses less tackles than Taylor and makes roughly the same amount.

IMO we only have room for one of Taylor and Eisenhuth. I would pick Eisenhuth because he can make decent metres as well as tackle.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:13 pm

weststigerman wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:41 pm
magpiecol wrote:
You sure about that? Aloiai maybe but Eisenhuth misses less tackles than Taylor and makes roughly the same amount.

IMO we only have room for one of Taylor and Eisenhuth. I would pick Eisenhuth because he can make decent metres as well as tackle.
No one pins an opposition player down as good as Taylor.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:20 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:13 pm
weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

That's true. He is very good at slowing the play the ball. He gets pinged more often now because the refs are onto him but he's good at giving us time, and no-one else in the squad is nearly as good.
"Quality Stupidity"

hank37w

Post by hank37w » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:31 pm

I agree that he is good at that and also that the refs are a wake up to him.
I worry a little about the head knocks he's had and wonder if they are the reason behind some of the brain snaps he had towards the end of the season.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:33 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
WT2K wrote:

Absolutely, Taylor needs to be shopped around.
Its an opinion!

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:42 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:13 pm
weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

100%. Taylor dictates that ruck speed like no one else. I think he gets let down by lazy forwards who, if they got into position a little quicker, would relieve some pressure off ET and keep him away from the refs eyes.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:45 pm

weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

If it was a choice between Taylor and Eisenhuth for me - Taylor wins in a cantor.

What game did Huth make decent metres, because it would only be one.

Lucky to make half the tackles Taylor makes and doesn't slow the play the ball down.

Absolutely Swordy - if he got some help from tired forwards getting back into line - he wouldn't get pinged.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:28 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:45 pm
weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

If it was a choice between Taylor and Eisenhuth for me - Taylor wins in a cantor.

What game did Huth make decent metres, because it would only be one.

Lucky to make half the tackles Taylor makes and doesn't slow the play the ball down.

Absolutely Swordy - if he got some help from tired forwards getting back into line - he wouldn't get pinged.
I felt Eisenhuth really struggled with the week to week grind of first grade. As so often happens he failed to fully transition from reserve grader to first grader. Maybe with another off season he will be stronger and more damaging. He needs to be- he was pushed backwards at the line all too often
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:32 pm

weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

He what???? Eisenhuth makes metres? I am at a loss for words.
In regards to tackling, Taylor and Lawrence have in common that they have excellent tackling technique, they absolutely stop runners dead.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:24 pm

Must be just me, I like Taylor but averaging 40 metres a game is not good enough for a middle forward. Eisenhuth averages twice as many metres.

In saying that, I’d rather Twal at lock than either of them to be honest.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:25 pm

tigerbill wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:32 pm
weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

In regards to tackling, Taylor and Lawrence have in common that they have excellent tackling technique, they absolutely stop runners dead.
Yep, averages over 80 metres a game while Taylor averages just over 40.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:58 pm

Aloiai and Eisenhuth are nowhere near first grade standard.

I would be very surprised if either make first grade next year.

Matterson, Garner and the big reserve grade prop will be hard to keep out.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 12:27 am

weststigerman wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:25 pm
tigerbill wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:32 pm
weststigerman wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

Yep, averages over 80 metres a game while Taylor averages just over 40.

Lol. OK mate, here we go.
So I went to www.nrl.com/players and got the stats for this season.
I Copy paste them in excel.
I copy the lines where they played the same position: Lock.

Eisenhuth (total played minutes 605):
Post contact meters:188
Total Running Metres:536
Hit Up Running Metres: 477
Tackles Made: 440
Missed Tacles: 35

Taylor (total played minutes 817):
post contact meters:404
Total Running Metres:1077
Hit Up Running Metres: 1003
Tackles Made: 554
Missed Tacles: 35

Even when you normalize the stats by played minutes, ET annihilates Eisenhuth.
But I didnt need to do that to know that Eisenhuth is far from first grade standards. I just watch the matches. Just watch how he lies down into the oppositions arms.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 3:26 am

weststigerman wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:24 pm
Must be just me, I like Taylor but averaging 40 metres a game is not good enough for a middle forward. Eisenhuth averages twice as many metres.

In saying that, I’d rather Twal at lock than either of them to be honest.
So who takes up the slack when ET is not playing, and makes 40 plus tackles a game.
Ivan also stuffed ET season by playing him at hooker for a prolonged time.