Wests Tigers provide update on 2019 NRL squad

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29637
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Re: Wests Tigers provide update on 2019 NRL squad

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:52 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:14 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
Are you being real Geo

So you feel that Aloiai and MCK have remotely near another gear to find

Puhlease :brick: :brick: :brick:
Go suck a lemon....Aloiai can be if he gets his head right...Chee Kam was good off the bench just not consistent enough when asked to start ......Matterson provides more quality in the back row and Taylor can go back to being the mop up man...howd we go the 1st 8 weeks this year till the grind kicked in and we began to have injuries to key players at the wrong time...we had a different spine every 2nd week it wasn't till the death when it was settled and we won 4 from 7...Mbye and Brooks will benefit from an off season together as will a fit Reynolds..Farah and Liddle wiil be good for each other...

The starting 17 held their own against top sides it's the depth that was tested we need guys to step it up at those times ..we are still some quality hard heads short true which makes the final spots crucial in addressing this..no reason the team can't go further on what's been built on the last 2 seasons..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong


Balmainian
Member
Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Balmainian » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:30 am

palms wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm
One of the worst squads we've ever rolled out, yet up there with the most amount of free cap we've ever had to spend.
Good to see Ivan's mind is on the job.
Sorry mate but I disagree.

Mbye
Matterson
Reynolds
Liddle
Brooks
Lawrence
Thompson

These guys are really good players, who haven’t actually all been on the field together yet.

Maybe another firey prop would be nice.

But 2 years ago we had
Rankin
Edwards
Hunt
Sironen
Lovett
Grant
Seumanfungai
Moses

I reckon that squad was worse than the current batch.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 946
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:29 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
I am glad someone is actually looking at the squad. Though not sure I agree.

We could use a good Prop and a good second rower. Prop's well they just wear thin and get busted. We lacked an impact prop and could have really used Taupau or similar.
Second rowers, we are in big trouble here as McQueen appears damaged goods. Lawrence has stepped up nicely but we need another.

We need a solid utility for the backs as it's pretty much Thompson, Marsters, Fonua and Nofo that would be our current lineup. (maybe a Junior could step up). But no where near as worried about the backs as the forwards.

TigersBusDriver
Member
Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:24 pm

Post by TigersBusDriver » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:37 am

Geo. wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:52 am
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:14 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
Are you being real Geo

So you feel that Aloiai and MCK have remotely near another gear to find

Puhlease :brick: :brick: :brick:
Go suck a lemon....Aloiai can be if he gets his head right...Chee Kam was good off the bench just not consistent enough when asked to start ......Matterson provides more quality in the back row and Taylor can go back to being the mop up man...howd we go the 1st 8 weeks this year till the grind kicked in and we began to have injuries to key players at the wrong time...we had a different spine every 2nd week it wasn't till the death when it was settled and we won 4 from 7...Mbye and Brooks will benefit from an off season together as will a fit Reynolds..Farah and Liddle wiil be good for each other...

The starting 17 held their own against top sides it's the depth that was tested we need guys to step it up at those times ..we are still some quality hard heads short true which makes the final spots crucial in addressing this..no reason the team can't go further on what's been built on the last 2 seasons..
Agree with most of what you said. I found that many on here were very contradictory in their opinions of Aloiai and MCK. When they were on and playing well, they would be praised but one bad game people immediately jumped on them

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41141
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:55 am

Geo. wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:52 am
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:14 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
Are you being real Geo

So you feel that Aloiai and MCK have remotely near another gear to find

Puhlease :brick: :brick: :brick:
Go suck a lemon....Aloiai can be if he gets his head right...Chee Kam was good off the bench just not consistent enough when asked to start ......Matterson provides more quality in the back row and Taylor can go back to being the mop up man...howd we go the 1st 8 weeks this year till the grind kicked in and we began to have injuries to key players at the wrong time...we had a different spine every 2nd week it wasn't till the death when it was settled and we won 4 from 7...Mbye and Brooks will benefit from an off season together as will a fit Reynolds..Farah and Liddle wiil be good for each other...

The starting 17 held their own against top sides it's the depth that was tested we need guys to step it up at those times ..we are still some quality hard heads short true which makes the final spots crucial in addressing this..no reason the team can't go further on what's been built on the last 2 seasons..
I would but the lemon is dry .....still

As Mum used to say , "if life offers up lemons , buy a bottle of gin "

I wasn't knocking them either , just don't think they can make the next step , MCK in particular has had many seasons now if it was going to click


TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:45 am

The announcement is at a strange time as is the 3 players elevated to the top 30. Still 3 weeks to go until start of preseason and no decision on the coach either way. Something’s brewing.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:48 am

greatodensraven wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:03 pm
Dally M 1/2 of the year
Kiwi centre
Better FB, hooker & backrow than last season.
No improvement in other areas however it could be a lot worse.

Hopefully we’re focusing on a top line prop & centre for the last 2 remaining spots.
I think we will only add 1 more player by kickoff to bring us up to the mandatory 29 - carry 1 spot for possible mid season signing.

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2363
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:59 am

TYGA wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:45 am
The announcement is at a strange time as is the 3 players elevated to the top 30. Still 3 weeks to go until start of preseason and no decision on the coach either way. Something’s brewing.
It sure is and I'm about to let a ripper of a fart go...

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5158
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:24 am

colmcd wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:29 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
I am glad someone is actually looking at the squad. Though not sure I agree.

We could use a good Prop and a good second rower. Prop's well they just wear thin and get busted. We lacked an impact prop and could have really used Taupau or similar.
Second rowers, we are in big trouble here as McQueen appears damaged goods. Lawrence has stepped up nicely but we need another.

His name is Ryan Matterson

We need a solid utility for the backs as it's pretty much Thompson, Marsters, Fonua and Nofo that would be our current lineup. (maybe a Junior could step up). But no where near as worried about the backs as the forwards.
His name is Ryan Matterson

Elderslie Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:54 am

Like all NRL sides injuries will dictate what sort of season we will have.Interesting we have two spots to fill if Bennett comes do Pangai Jr and Oates follow.Oates could get his wish of playing in the forwards that would add some grunt

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3481
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 9:15 am

Masterton wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
supercoach wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm
The bookies will set the market for 2019 based on fact and not fiction. We will be penciled in for 15th based on our squad. We may over achieve and get as high up as 12 th, but it is a bog average squad that need a urgent injection of class.

Sorry I am being brutal, but it is fact, Matherson, Moses M, have both been great signings but we need need three more of that quality to even give the eight a shot.

I have the feeling that HQ are starting to worry where we are headed in 2019
Yep. They had us at 15th and Cowboys 1st this year. They just make their best guess like anyone else.
Weight of money by the punters drives the bookies markets more than anything else and punters get it wrong far more often than they get it right

kingbrooks
Member
Member
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:15 am

Post by kingbrooks » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:03 am

Terrible squad. We overachieved this year. We won half a dozen games by 1-2 points that could go either way. Not to mention the back run of the year when we played Raiders, Knights, Manly, Dragons were all games that if there was another few minutes we looked shot. We never ever finished over the top of any team as we had no quality.

The last round was indicative of where we are at. Was an NRL side vs a reserve grade side. The worst thing is we barely had anyone out to make excuses. If those top teams turn up to play we are done. We may have lost a bit of deadwood as people say, but the emergence of Sue in the backhalf of the year was a major reason we started winning again (the only forward who could go over the advantage line).

The pack is not good enough and the backs can't create anything to compensate for it. One good signing of Matterson will not solve anything.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:49 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:03 am
Terrible squad. We overachieved this year. We won half a dozen games by 1-2 points that could go either way. Not to mention the back run of the year when we played Raiders, Knights, Manly, Dragons were all games that if there was another few minutes we looked shot. We never ever finished over the top of any team as we had no quality.

The last round was indicative of where we are at. Was an NRL side vs a reserve grade side. The worst thing is we barely had anyone out to make excuses. If those top teams turn up to play we are done. We may have lost a bit of deadwood as people say, but the emergence of Sue in the backhalf of the year was a major reason we started winning again (the only forward who could go over the advantage line).

The pack is not good enough and the backs can't create anything to compensate for it. One good signing of Matterson will not solve anything.
Your argument is illogical.

Firstly, winning "half a dozen" games by 1-2 points is actually quite good, in a season of 24 matches, so long as you don't lose another 12 games by 1-2 points. Most teams win about half of the close ones and in fact Tigers were 5-4 in games decided by 2 points or less, so better than average. You can't decry the wins "that could have gone either way", because they didn't go the other way. A close win is not a loss.

In terms of "finishing over the top", not quite sure what you mean. We did not dominate many games apart from the Manly and Souths ones, but we certainly finished over the top of several sides - esp. Melbourne twice and Roosters. It's very hard for you to be making a point about not finishing over the top of anyone, when factually we did exactly that against both Grand Finalists in both games.

The team achieved what they achieved. They can clearly do better, they can also obviously do worse. Unless you are proposing that Tigers played a perfect season in 2018, and could not possibly do any better, then it is always possible that Tigers can improve rather than regress.

Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5661
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 11:13 am

The two spare CAP spaces are the Jokers in the pack.

TonyTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by TonyTiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:29 pm

TYGA wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:45 am
The announcement is at a strange time as is the 3 players elevated to the top 30. Still 3 weeks to go until start of preseason and no decision on the coach either way. Something’s brewing.
We must be close to announcing a real coach, albeit one that won’t be bringing too much cattle across immediately if we’re promoting. Either that or it’s business as usual with the smiling assassin still at the helm momentarily, providing a vice-like grip to recruitment.
We must have plenty of dosh to spend on the last 2 placements.
I was shown an old email yesterday, sent from a panthers trainer who used to play for the tigers which proved the Ivan defection was a done deal 6 weeks ago. Shane Elford went alright as a tiger..

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29564
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:36 pm

Proof?

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5967
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:37 pm

you can only buy from whats on the shelf.

bp tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2499
Joined: Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:35 pm

Post by bp tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:49 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:14 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
Are you being real Geo

So you feel that Aloiai and MCK have remotely near another gear to find

Puhlease :brick: :brick: :brick:
u gotta lay of that weed, its sending u silly.

Post Reply