What we need to work on and the positives

weststigers

What we need to work on and the positives

Post by weststigers » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:29 am

After an exciting pre-season with 2 convincing trial wins, we looked totally inept after the first 20 minutes or so of the game. However, I do think there are some positives as well as a lot we need to work on.

POSTIVES:

1. Tedesco - he is dangerous! even in a beaten side, he looked lethal in attack and scored a try through his pace. I'm happy we have him in our team.

2. Richards - A couple of times he defused bombs which I dare say we may have dropped in years gone by. Very safe under the high ball. Unfortunately, our attacking kicks to his corner went over the sideline, so comes down to execution from the kicker - he will score plenty if we can get this right. Furthermore, his kick-offs, dropouts and conversions looked a million bucks and from one kick-off, we had them down on their line which is what you need after conceding points - finally we have a reliable kicker in our side.

3. Gavet - Some good things and some bad, but he runs VERY hard at the line which gets us good go forward. I think if the club worked on getting him up for a quick play the ball, he could be even more effective for us. I also think if he bulked up 5-10kg of muscle, he would be a wrecking ball. I'm expecting big things from him next year rather than this year.

4. Woods - despite what some people here are saying, he did what Aaron Woods does - 100+ metres and 40 tackles and some offloads - he's a prop and did his job. We need this consistency in our team rather than a week to week proposition.

5. Taupau - He looks really strong with good go forward - definitely adds to our pack and we'll be even better when Keith comes back into the side.

NEGATIVES and WHAT WE NEED TO WORK ON:

1. Defence - It seemed like every time they shifted wide, our defence would run backwards and we didn't know how to shut down the play. Also, a few guys were caught out coming out of the line which cost us tries - I can think of one where Lulia jumped out off the try line and missed the tackle - we need to hold our form.

2. Defence (Luke Brooks) - he's young and he's learning, but we need to counter this in defence. We can't have a year where he misses 7 tackles a game and costs us 2 or 3 tries because of it. Can we hide him somewhere? My only thought is to instruct him to go for the legs and partner him with someone to take the upper body because he gets shrugged off easily - the Rabbitohs will have their monster pack running at him all day.

3. Lulia - He wasn't great and doesn't offer much in attack to offset the average defensive performance - straight swap for Simona should add something to our backline.

4. Last Play Options - The new rule killed us where they get 7 tackles from the 20m line. I may get totally flamed here, but the risk-reward of trying a grubber or a bomb that may go over the touch in goal or caught on the full might not be worth it. A grubber kick to touch inside or just outside the 10 might be more effective as the game goes on. It's boring football, but it ensures that every time we get the ball down their end, they have to work it out from their 10 metre line with no freebies - that drains teams and starves them of field position. This is just one idea and I'd be interested to see what people think about this new rule and how to combat its impact.

5. Blair - 44 metres in attack! I think he is a bench player at best - It's a shame that Halatau and Sirro are out because it's killed our options here.

6. Anasta - Didn't do anything particularly bad, but he doesn't have the spark we need - Unfortunately, Austin, from what I've seen is a great defender either, so we'd have another liability in defence. I think we need to give Blake a go though because he is better in attack and I think will work better with Brooks. I really think having an experienced player alongside Brooks may be a hindrance. Does he really need a baby sitter? He didn't have one in the 20's and those performances are what have him playing first grade - Let Luke Brooks be Luke Brooks. Thoughts??

7. Back-Row - Looks impotent - Ava and Sue look a bit slow. Fulton, while good in defence, never bends the line in attack. Masila needs a call up as long as attitude is right.

8. Koro - Can't say he is a negative, but he needs a bit of work on his defensive positioning. In Attack he is strong, but he is out of place in defence. Let me throw this at you - Koro in the pack haha - thoughts? Nofoaluma will be a welcome addition against the Titans.

Team against Titans

1. Tedesco
2. Nofoaluma
3. Simona
4. Lawrence
5. Richards
6. Austin
7. Brooks

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Taupau
11. Fulton (if fit)
12. Paterson
13. Sue

14. Blair
15. Murdoch-Masila
16. Galloway
17. Gavet

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:45 am

Thompson wont be dropped.

aajlewis

Post by aajlewis » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:51 am

Whenever we kicked off Thompson was always first to make the tackle, if he had a bit more leg drive and wasn't so inconsistent, he would be alright for us

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:19 am

Yeah forgot about Thompson there. He wasn't too bad...Probably in for Fulton as he probably won't play. In fact, Bodene looked very strong physically so agree.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:39 am

thanks weststigers - that was a really good read!
i agree with the luke brooks part; he seemed stifled by something? maybe experienced players (trying to help) telling him not to overplay or something?

as for koro in the pack, well the poor bloke would get smashed the way he runs at defenders like a maniac! its one thing to run into backs like that, but constantly into forwards his career would last about another 3 weeks!

i think he is pencilled in as a replacement winger at the moment and really really needs a year of nsw cup. a lot of people are commenting on his defence, but i also kind of cringe every time he gets the ball. i just dont feel like the ball is safe in his hands! anyone else have this feeling?

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 11:18 am

turnstyle wrote:thanks weststigers - that was a really good read!
i agree with the luke brooks part; he seemed stifled by something? maybe experienced players (trying to help) telling him not to overplay or something?

as for koro in the pack, well the poor bloke would get smashed the way he runs at defenders like a maniac! its one thing to run into backs like that, but constantly into forwards his career would last about another 3 weeks!

i think he is pencilled in as a replacement winger at the moment and really really needs a year of nsw cup. a lot of people are commenting on his defence, but i also kind of cringe every time he gets the ball. i just dont feel like the ball is safe in his hands! anyone else have this feeling?
I have the same feeling about Brooks. It seems like they are trying to "calm him down", and he has responded with just being a feeder with the ball. The chip and chase early on was well executed, but seemed to put the cue in the rack after that.

Agree with Koro - I always have the feeling the ball is going to fall out of his hands. Koro definitely isn't a back rower either I will concede - Nofoaluma will make a big difference this week.

I don't get to watch a lot of NSW Cup, but how is Taqele going? Could he take the step up?

Black Orange White

Post by Black Orange White » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 1:35 pm

Luke Brooks is 1000000000x the player Braith Anasta is. I don't care how experienced Anasta is, there's no way Brooks should defer to such a worthless player.

longy

Post by longy » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 1:52 pm

Either Brooks is our first grade half back or he is back in the U20s - His job is to run the team not play second fiddle to would be halves such as Anasta and Farrah. As soon as they started to try to run things we looked the same as last year and we all know how that turned out. Give the young kid his licence not 'L's. His defence will come with confidence.

russelldp

Post by russelldp » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 1:56 pm

Anasta and Farrah. As soon as they started to try to run things we looked the same as last year and we all know how that turned out. Give the young kid his licence not 'L's. His defence will come with confidence.[/quote]

I reckon this is frustrating Potter. Brooks is his man and represents 'Potters Plan' but some old hard heads are failing to yield

Post by Guest » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 2:36 pm

russelldp wrote:Anasta and Farrah. As soon as they started to try to run things we looked the same as last year and we all know how that turned out. Give the young kid his licence not 'L's. His defence will come with confidence.
I reckon this is frustrating Potter. Brooks is his man and represents 'Potters Plan' but some old hard heads are failing to yield

Posted using RoarFEED 2013[/quote]
Anasta yes Farah is our captain and doesn't need to prove anything to you. brooks had the chance to lead the backs and had the kicking duties and he didn't aim up so Farah like a leader put his hands up like always but it didn't pay off this time. Maybe brooks needs to man up if he want to play first grade

russelldp

Post by russelldp » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 2:48 pm

Anonymous wrote:
russelldp wrote:Anasta and Farrah. As soon as they started to try to run things we looked the same as last year and we all know how that turned out. Give the young kid his licence not 'L's. His defence will come with confidence.

Anasta yes Farah is our captain and doesn't need to prove anything to you. brooks had the chance to lead the backs and had the kicking duties and he didn't aim up so Farah like a leader put his hands up like always but it didn't pay off this time. Maybe brooks needs to man up if he want to play first grade

Posted using RoarFEED 2013[/quote]

It's got nothing to do with proving anything.

When the coach puts a game plan in place, every player, especially the Captain must embrace it.

By the way, I'm a big Farah fan, but his 'putting the hand up', as you call it, hasn't worked for the side in several years.

One man can't do everything and until he learns to trust his team mates and coach, the team will suffer.

Tigrr

Post by Tigrr » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 4:25 pm

Excellent post below
After an exciting pre-season with 2 convincing trial wins, we looked totally inept after the first 20 minutes or so of the game. However, I do think there are some positives as well as a lot we need to work on.

POSTIVES:

1. Tedesco - he is dangerous! even in a beaten side, he looked lethal in attack and scored a try through his pace. I'm happy we have him in our team.

2. Richards - A couple of times he defused bombs which I dare say we may have dropped in years gone by. Very safe under the high ball. Unfortunately, our attacking kicks to his corner went over the sideline, so comes down to execution from the kicker - he will score plenty if we can get this right. Furthermore, his kick-offs, dropouts and conversions looked a million bucks and from one kick-off, we had them down on their line which is what you need after conceding points - finally we have a reliable kicker in our side.

3. Gavet - Some good things and some bad, but he runs VERY hard at the line which gets us good go forward. I think if the club worked on getting him up for a quick play the ball, he could be even more effective for us. I also think if he bulked up 5-10kg of muscle, he would be a wrecking ball. I'm expecting big things from him next year rather than this year.

4. Woods - despite what some people here are saying, he did what Aaron Woods does - 100+ metres and 40 tackles and some offloads - he's a prop and did his job. We need this consistency in our team rather than a week to week proposition.

5. Taupau - He looks really strong with good go forward - definitely adds to our pack and we'll be even better when Keith comes back into the side.

1. Defence - It seemed like every time they shifted wide, our defence would run backwards and we didn't know how to shut down the play. Also, a few guys were caught out coming out of the line which cost us tries - I can think of one where Lulia jumped out off the try line and missed the tackle - we need to hold our form.

2. Defence (Luke Brooks) - he's young and he's learning, but we need to counter this in defence. We can't have a year where he misses 7 tackles a game and costs us 2 or 3 tries because of it. Can we hide him somewhere? My only thought is to instruct him to go for the legs and partner him with someone to take the upper body because he gets shrugged off easily - the Rabbitohs will have their monster pack running at him all day.

3. Lulia - He wasn't great and doesn't offer much in attack to offset the average defensive performance - straight swap for Simona should add something to our backline.

4. Last Play Options - The new rule killed us where they get 7 tackles from the 20m line. I may get totally flamed here, but the risk-reward of trying a grubber or a bomb that may go over the touch in goal or caught on the full might not be worth it. A grubber kick to touch inside or just outside the 10 might be more effective as the game goes on. It's boring football, but it ensures that every time we get the ball down their end, they have to work it out from their 10 metre line with no freebies - that drains teams and starves them of field position. This is just one idea and I'd be interested to see what people think about this new rule and how to combat its impact.

5. Blair - 44 metres in attack! I think he is a bench player at best - It's a shame that Halatau and Sirro are out because it's killed our options here.

6. Anasta - Didn't do anything particularly bad, but he doesn't have the spark we need - Unfortunately, Austin, from what I've seen is a great defender either, so we'd have another liability in defence. I think we need to give Blake a go though because he is better in attack and I think will work better with Brooks. I really think having an experienced player alongside Brooks may be a hindrance. Does he really need a baby sitter? He didn't have one in the 20's and those performances are what have him playing first grade - Let Luke Brooks be Luke Brooks. Thoughts??

7. Back-Row - Looks impotent - Ava and Sue look a bit slow. Fulton, while good in defence, never bends the line in attack. Masila needs a call up as long as attitude is right.

I would make the change of having Fulton at lock with a roving commission to plug defensive holes. Leave the bigger logs in the second row for hit ups etc !

Post by Guest » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:38 pm

weststigers wrote:After an exciting pre-season with 2 convincing trial wins, we looked totally inept after the first 20 minutes or so of the game. However, I do think there are some positives as well as a lot we need to work on.

POSTIVES:

8. Koro - Can't say he is a negative, but he needs a bit of work on his defensive positioning. In Attack he is strong, but he is out of place in defence. Let me throw this at you - Koro in the pack haha - thoughts? Nofoaluma will be a welcome addition against the Titans.

Team against Titans

1. Tedesco
2. Nofoaluma
3. Simona
4. Lawrence
5. Richards
6. Austin
7. Brooks

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Taupau
11. Fulton (if fit)
12. Paterson
13. Sue

14. Blair
15. Murdoch-Masila
16. Galloway
17. Gavet
Be the coach. cause potter will blame two people that's his sum up of the game instead of saying we need a lot on our defence

Post by Guest » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:41 pm

weststigers wrote:Yeah forgot about Thompson there. He wasn't too bad...Probably in for Fulton as he probably won't play. In fact, Bodene looked very strong physically so agree.
Miss the ball there bud he played. 80 min min hit ups min tackles sue 23 min check the stats

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:45 pm

Bodene played on the edge and Sue played in the middle. That could explain the stats. Bodene made some good charges and for the most defended well. He deserves to play next week.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:57 pm

Guest wrote:
weststigers wrote:Yeah forgot about Thompson there. He wasn't too bad...Probably in for Fulton as he probably won't play. In fact, Bodene looked very strong physically so agree.
Miss the ball there bud he played. 80 min min hit ups min tackles sue 23 min check the stats

I'm not sure what to make of this...are you attacking me?

If yes, not sure why - I never said Bodene didn't play. Just didn't think of him when writing my post.

If no, stats checked - I agree. Bodene played 80 mins and Sue played 23 mins.

Thanks for the contribution!

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:01 pm

southerntiger wrote:Bodene played on the edge and Sue played in the middle. That could explain the stats. Bodene made some good charges and for the most defended well. He deserves to play next week.

Agree. Watched the game again today and he looked strong.

Post by 851 » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 12:01 am

Tiger In The Gong wrote:Thompson wont be dropped.
Why,his stats are terrible,for a guy who played 80 minutes,he shouldn't be first gone,that is Braith's gig,but he should join a few in reggies.
Go hard or go home