Lawrence

southerntiger

Lawrence

Post by southerntiger » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:07 pm

tigertilidie wrote:yea he looks good until someone gets on the outside of him (which happened a few times tonight) and then its painful to see how slow he is chasing after them
That was because we were playing compressed. Chris was basically marking two players all night.

Both our edges struggle when the ball shifts because of our compressed defensive structure this year. Lawrence was able to turn around and tidy up.

I thought Richards and Nofo were the poor defenders tonight. Richards failed to take a man on at least 2 occasions.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:08 pm

He has no explosive speed off the mark anymore. there were a couple of occasions tonight where he got the ball and seemed to take an age to move forward. When he runs onto the ball he is strong but from a standing start he is as slow as I am.

That said he has put two better than average games together in a row now. Hope for his sake he continues to do so as we have prospects nipping at his heels who will get the job done if he cant.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:10 pm

Still lacking that blistering speed, and I doubt we will never ever see that again, but they are using him like a wide running back rower, and its effective. Made a lot of dirty yards tonight and was hard in defense

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:40 pm

Played better the last 2 weeks.

On hos way back.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:48 pm

Is he carrying too much muscle?

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:55 pm

i wish they transfer him to the backrow sooner rather than later. im absolutely convinced he would kill it there.

he has amazing defensive technique, good hands, good offload and won't back away from taking a solid hit up. if fulton or bodene go off injured, he'd be one i put in the backrow tbh.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:55 pm

course he's playing solidly now. he was thrown out on the wing when it all fell apart for us and him defensively.

always knew he'd be fine if we gave him another chance at centre
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

guyofthetiger

Post by guyofthetiger » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 12:14 am

Seems to be slowly getting some confidence back. I imagine he'd be the first to go hard on himself for poor form.
Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 5:44 am

tig_prmz wrote:i wish they transfer him to the backrow sooner rather than later. im absolutely convinced he would kill it there.

he has amazing defensive technique, good hands, good offload and won't back away from taking a solid hit up. if fulton or bodene go off injured, he'd be one i put in the backrow tbh.

But tell me which backrower do you drop when every one is available

Thompson's been good
Blair has been good
Fulton is playing well
Sue was playing well off the bench
Sironen at 110 kg with his mobility could be the one that steps our forwards up to even greater heights

One of these blokes will miss out already , and we have issues centres wise (our weakness imo )

Why move Lawrence under those circumstances ??

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 8:04 am

Peaches wrote:Is he carrying too much muscle?

I think that he has been more a mirror man than footballer since really bulking up, in particular his upper body during rehab following the hip injury. Whether injury or his bulk is the major factor in his form collapse, who knows, but he has improved somewhat this year, from what was a very poor baseline last season.

His strength was always as a speedy attacking runner, rather than defensive player. He no longer possesses the pace to rush in and shut down a play, let alone make a break, so unless he can get some of that back, he will remain a bog average NRL level centre.

I don't see him having a future as a backrower, there would be half a dozen blokes in front of him. If nothing much changes this season he has to try something different, with trimming some bulk possibly being the only viable option.

laufoofan

Post by laufoofan » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:13 am

Glad Lawrence has proved us wrong, with each game he has improved. Hope he keeps on at it and become his old block buster self again, time will tell, Potter will be the best judge.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:50 am

happy tiger wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:i wish they transfer him to the backrow sooner rather than later. im absolutely convinced he would kill it there.

But tell me which backrower do you drop when every one is available

Thompson's been good
Blair has been good
Fulton is playing well
Sue was playing well off the bench
Sironen at 110 kg with his mobility could be the one that steps our forwards up to even greater heights

One of these blokes will miss out already , and we have issues centres wise (our weakness imo )

Why move Lawrence under those circumstances ??
then make him play state cup as a backrower. i know lawrence has been good but i feel if we get that one more quality right centre and simona back to left centre- lawrence could kill it in the backrow.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:00 am

Peaches wrote:Is he carrying too much muscle?

i dont think so..
I think it makes him solid in defence..

Fifita is a big boy yet he has pace, so i dont think Rowdy is any slower due to his size.
My bet is all those injuries have caused it .

On the topic, its good to see him improve -- >> improving
we all have given him a bit of a spray with poor on field performances..

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:20 am

I don't think he had a good game, but he wasn't bad either.

A couple of his runs were decent hit ups, but were in positions where in years passed he would've burst through the line. Another sign that his speed is gone as is his effectiveness was that moment where Tate got on his outside and he had to turn to chase....at turtle like speed.

For me it showed that his speed and thus his weapon is gone for good. He tries hard but his value isn't what it was to us. I'd give him until the end of the season to try convince me otherwise.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 5:57 pm

Re-watching the game I have to agree. Though he had a good game his speed off the mark is just not there. I was thinking as a second row he could be lethal.

Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 6:14 pm

Definitely on the improve and it is good to see... has the turning circle of a road train though, it may well be being exposed by a compressed defence, but he will begin to be targetted because of it. Any offensive structure worth its salt should be able to repeatedly isolate him, and begs the question, do we change defensive structure to complement him, or change the player to suit the structure... Its a matter of time before his turn is isolated tactically and could well be the difference in loss.

I am really impressed with his new found attitude and involvement, and hope we can find the compromise to suit.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:01 pm

Tate was Cowboy's best last night, is a class player, and Rowdy did a good job on him.

The other thing I noted was that Simona, despite his fancy footwork, got run down twice last night. He's back from injury, surely short of a gallop, but last year he blitzed chasers on more than one occasion.

It doesn't take much to appear significantly slower than previous versions of yourself, I think Rowdy has the class to adapt his play as his body continues to evolve / change.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 10:23 am

jirskyr wrote:Tate was Cowboy's best last night, is a class player, and Rowdy did a good job on him.

The other thing I noted was that Simona, despite his fancy footwork, got run down twice last night. He's back from injury, surely short of a gallop, but last year he blitzed chasers on more than one occasion.

It doesn't take much to appear significantly slower than previous versions of yourself, I think Rowdy has the class to adapt his play as his body continues to evolve / change.
He got chased down by Fieldt on the 20-tap restart, but he's a whippet himself. I don't remember him being chased down any other time. There was a kickchase where he made a break but cover defense got him. I think he's still got plenty of pace in him. He's lacking some match fitness too.