Brooks

southerntiger

Brooks

Post by southerntiger » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 7:03 pm

Wasnt Brooks job to control, that was Anastas job today and has been all year. Its clear Potter has, rightly or wrongly, tasked Anasta with organising.

Brooks' job is to inject himself into the game at the right time, which is what he did today. That line break was sensational. He also put a try on the platter for Fulton.

Played as good as any 19 year old Halfback I have seen.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 7:23 pm

He is showing loads of talent, but like most young players is still learning to get the balance between Big plays and percentage plays right.
Experience will come, you can't expect a kid to play like joey johns after 10 games.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 7:33 pm

Goose wrote:you can't expect a kid to play like joey johns after 10 games.
Even Joey Johns didnt play like Joey Johns after 10 games.

Post by 851 » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 7:44 pm

Anasta is the weak link,offers SFA.
Go hard or go home

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah I agree...Anasta as much as I like him as a person has gotta go....Austin Brooks combination should be our present and future 5/8 half combination...

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:28 pm

I thought Brooks was close to our best too.

We were dominated in the ruck, backs made negligible in-roads, Luani is not creative and Anasta is just a distributor.

Don't know what else the kid is supposed to do, apart from him and Austin we were a zero threat in attack.

Stripes96
Location: Where the folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most

Post by Stripes96 » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:41 pm

Brooks today:

- Grubber through for himself before fumbling the pickup. Picks it up cleanly and it's a try.

- Linebreak before passing to Taupau. Unlucky not to be a try thanks to Myles.

- Served up a try on a silver platter for Fulton. Very unlucky not to be a try.

- Is 19

I fail to see what more he could have done on an afternoon where luck didn't come our way.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:46 pm

thesquid wrote:Your kidding. Brooks, im not seeing it.

Our attack is as ineffective as the worst team in the comp at the moment.

He was far too individual today as well and they didn't turn out right.

Sorry, but im not seeing what you are.
You're taking the piss. Shy of Manly flogging the bejesus out of Canberra today, we would be leading the comp in points scored on 186 (Manly are on 188.)

Scoring four tries a game, really ineffective... :roll:
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:14 pm

Probably over played the short kicks , but he had a good game apart from that

He must of felt at times in attack he was playing a lone hand , apart from Austin

Luani played well also , but I'd like to see him getting out of dummy half more often to create more options and room for Brooks and his outside men

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:26 pm

I was impressed with Brooks' game today. I thought he looked dangerous when he ran the ball, and this is going to make the ball runners around him even more dangerous. Exciting times ahead
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Milky

Post by Milky » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:30 pm

Throwing a short ball near Kelly is never a smart move tho.

tiger pom

Post by tiger pom » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:36 pm

Apart from the try we did manage the only times we looked like scoring was when Brooks was involved.I thought he was as good as anyone today and will play a big part in future unlike Anasta who gives nothing to the team.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:36 pm

Milky wrote:Throwing a short ball near Kelly is never a smart move tho.
True. Kelly is good at taking those short ball intercepts.
There were a few times today where we almost grabbed some intercepts ourselves. But we couldn't hold on to any of them and ended up just giving them another set on our line. It was very frustrating
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:57 pm

Take a look at the match stats:

Completed Sets: 22 from 31 (71%)
Errors: 8
Penalties Conceded: 10
Possession: 46%
Offloads: 4 (Titans 17!)
Metres Run: 1231 (Titans ran 1591)

We averaged 1 Error and more than 1 penalty every 10 minutes. We could get no momentum.

Brooks or Anasta or anyone else for that matter aren't the reason we lost today. The whole team needs to put their hand up and accept responsibility for the loss. Anasta has been there all season and he's been playing his role in the team. He won't be replaced at 5/8 this year barring injury. To be honest, I'm not sure having 3 playmakers out there is doing anything for us. I'd prefer 4 forwards and pick either Austin or Anasta at 6 - it's been working. Also, it seemed like Fulton was seagulling in the backline a bit today - that needs to stop.

Of the 22 sets we completed, many were deep in our half which gave the Titans their first tackle on their 30-40m line. Every time we defended well and swung the field position around so we weren't working it off our goal line on the first, we'd come up with an error - again, this zapped any momentum we tried to build.

The reality is, the Titans could have been beaten today, but we had no punch in the forwards without Gavet or Farah and couldn't win the ruck (no quick play the balls etc.). In the backs, Rowe looks lost and I think Tedesco will make a big difference when he returns. Injuries seem to be a big problem and we were walking wounded today again.

The first 7 weeks of the comp have shown us that if our forwards blast the other forward pack off the park, our backs will run riot. We simply didn't win that battle today and on top of that made silly errors. I also think we lost the 50/50 calls in what was an average ref's performance.

We need to try and grind out a win against the Roosters, but I'm not holding my breath.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:09 pm

tiger tragic wrote:Brooks nearly set up a try for himself Fulton bombed the try from the kick he put through and tapau got taken out and should have scored . That's 3 tries we could've scored and u don't see it.
Throw in that chip and chase he put it that Carter miraculously knocked down and regathered. I just watched a replay of that play and it was a try for all money if Carter misses that. It would have landed on Brooks's chest and neither the winger or fullback would have got anywhere near him. Would have been an absolute classic. He was close to having a dead set lone hand blinder if those 50/50s went his way.

I pity the next side that has to play the Brooks/Tedesco/Farah combination.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:55 pm

The Anasta haters are out again. Give it a rest for God's sake.

He will still be there in the last round. Get it through your skulls - Brooks needs him.

The forwards have been going forward in 6 of the 8 games we have played - they did not this week.
The main reason the backs could not create, the main reason some of Brooks chip kicks did not come off, and a main reason for the charge downs. You need the opposition to be back peddlin'
You also need the opposition not to be off side for the whole game.

However as usual - it is Anasta's fault.

You say let's bring up Moses - let us crucify him so he ends up with that many injuries he'll be out for a few years. Remember how many injuries Benji had when he was starting, Teddy is going through the same thing.
You have to give them a few years to mature and build bone and body strength or you are throwing them to the wolves.

We are doin' alright - just outside or 8 was a good prediction. All of a sudden people think we are a chance of winning it. Get serious - this is a rebuilding year - be patient.

thesquid

Post by thesquid » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 6:08 am

This may be a rebuilding year, but we don't have to put up with Anasta and his poor form. You might, I don't.

Its not rocket science to see that the Anasta/Brooks combo is a liability and it is dreadful to watch and support.

And it doesn't mean we have to put up with this excuse that an NRL player has to be baby sat by a player of Anasta' current ability.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 7:36 am

Had a good first 30 minutes, but went back into his shell too much again after that...

I really like watching him on Sunday in the first half as I felt he was doing everything right from a 7's perspective... Some good feeds, followed by two good kicks... Another good feed and BOOM - Straight through!

Great text book football for a 15min period that was executed perfectly.

Went into his shell once Austin came on, but that doesn't surprise me!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017