Austin deserves the six jersey

happy tiger

Re: Austin deserves the six jersey

Post by happy tiger » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:27 pm

Austin is playing well but he is still a one trick pony

He looks good against weak teams , but you know he will run 98 v times out of 100

Would love the Tigers to hire a halves coach solely to work on Austin's passing game

I'll be honest if he can get his passing game to a very good level he could go further than Brooks or Moses imo

He has so much potential

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:30 pm

cktiger wrote:Great ball runner but still hogs it too much for mine to be in number 6 or 7.
He's a running five-eighth and he frequently busts the line when he does run it, I'm happy for him to hog it if he keeps breaking the line.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:30 pm

The fact Potter stuck with Anasta over Austin all season is reason enough for him to go imo.

He deserved the 6 based on trial form alone... even slimmed down for the halves in the off season.

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:33 pm

Like many others I am a massive fan of Austin and I also agree with many that at this point in time he is our best option at 6, whole hearted player that bleeds for his team. However I do also think he needs to let the ball talk a bit more than his feet and needs to be a "ball player" more than a runner if he is to stay at 6.

I honestly think his best position now is in the centres, noticed tonight he is tipping scales at 101kg so no problems there, has great footwork and clearly has a brilliant football brain but I think there is only one thing stopping him from switching to centre.....he thinks he is a five eight!!

I remember seeing an interview with him earlier in the year and he said he would play wherever he needed to get in the team but he saw himself as a number 6 and this I believe will be the thing that stops him turning into a brilliant centre. At the end of the day he will play centre to be in first grade but long term if he is given an opportunity at another club to play in the 6 jersey we will end up losing him.

:sign:

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:36 pm

MacDougall wrote:After this season I think most would agree that Blake Austin has been our best performer on average across the entire year (Aside from Woods). If he is jumped by Moses and Brooks it'd be pretty unfair favouritism. I think he has won that jersey.

To be honest I think that Moses has jumped Brooks as well based mostly on his defence. They are both sharp in attack but Moses is a superior defender at this point. I would run with Austin/Moses to start next season with Brooks to work on his defence in NSW Cup.

Thoughts?

I agree that our best halves pairing on form is Moses and Austin. In saying that I'd play all of them out there and put Austin at lock.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:41 pm

Defiant wrote:The fact Potter stuck with Anasta over Austin all season is reason enough for him to go imo.
Yep. The difference is huge. I also don't get why Brooks was considered better than Moses or that he would slot into first grade better because Moses at this point is better than Brooks.

thesquid

Post by thesquid » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 7:59 pm

DonnyBrasco wrote:If he is smart, he will leave and go to a side where the rest of the players put in as much as he does.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
The way he is thrown around all positions and loses positions to players who aren't ready or even at his level, I would rather see him go than waste a players short career.

You nailed it.
Last edited by thesquid on Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:00 pm

stevetiger wrote:
Defiant wrote:The fact Potter stuck with Anasta over Austin all season is reason enough for him to go imo.
Yep. The difference is huge. I also don't get why Brooks was considered better than Moses or that he would slot into first grade better because Moses at this point is better than Brooks.
I think most people rated Moses higher than Brooks coming through the grades but when the whips were cracking and one was able to show their wares for a first grade op Moses was injured and Brooks was not.

WTDiehard

Post by WTDiehard » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:02 pm

I've heard a lot about this bloke on this forum, but every-time I've seen him play for us I've thought he was one of our better players.

IMO this guy has the goods. I just hope this dysfunctional club does not ruin him. He can run, pass and do it all. When he runs and jinks with the ball in front of him he really gives the defence problems. He was very unlucky to not score a 2nd try tonite after banboozling the defence. IMO he is 2 years ahead of brooks and moses ATM and will be invaluable to us next year.

Apart from that I thought we were pretty good tonite apart from the fact that we cant catch, cant tackle, continually turn the ball over, continually make dumb mistakes,......its hard to win a game of football on that basis. I donot know who is responsible for this rubbish....but they need to go.

Talk about a club sabotaging its own season.....should hang their heads in shame.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:02 pm

MacDougall wrote:I think most people rated Moses higher than Brooks coming through the grades but when the whips were cracking and one was able to show their wares for a first grade op Moses was injured and Brooks was not.
This makes sense because to me Moses looks the better prospect. I still rate Brooks though.

I think though we all need all 3 of them out there.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:09 pm

Austin is great - give him whatever jersey he wants! He is the ONLY shining light in a miserable season, which will no doubt culminate in a loss to the highly depleted Sharks next week. Happy days!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:12 pm

Flippedy wrote:Austin is great - give him whatever jersey he wants! He is the ONLY shining light in a miserable season, which will no doubt culminate in a loss to the highly depleted Sharks next week. Happy days!
Happy days !..... Yep there's a septic tank at the end of our rainbow .

We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Bones

Post by Bones » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:12 pm

Seems to come up with a shocking defensive effort at least once a week, but given he busts his arse every week I can cop that. Wish every player in the 17 tried as hard as he does. We'd probably be playing finals if they did.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:14 pm

Brooks and Moses are very different players who compliment each other, one composed, the other unpredictable... though both highly rated.

Could you imagine how difficult Brooks year would have been, seeing his entire career up to now he had a competent halves partner instead of the likes of Anasta. This year we have watched as seasoned vets crumbled, unable to keep it together with the shambolic state we are in, yet many here expect Brooks in his debut season to play at a higher level, with greater duties seeing his halves partners have often been missing in action. It was the year he needed support to cut his teeth, poor bloke did well for the circumstances.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:18 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
Flippedy wrote:Austin is great - give him whatever jersey he wants! He is the ONLY shining light in a miserable season, which will no doubt culminate in a loss to the highly depleted Sharks next week. Happy days!
Happy days !..... Yep there's a septic tank at the end of our rainbow .

I was thinking more of a big black hole! Wish one would swallow me up right now.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 8:25 pm

5/8s are runners first and foremost all the great 6s were and will always be strong runners mostly with a leathal step and fend. Blake has both and he's developing an uncanny knack of knowing when to have a crack at the line, his percentage rate of attempts v line breaks must be high.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:05 pm

Blake has been great this year - I think our best player - yes better than Woods and Farah.

I see him as a centre; reckon he can really kill it there with an off season training in that position.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:14 pm

Agree. Austin, Player of the season for WT. and would love to see him in the centres.
in Ivan we distrust