Wests Tigers team v Sharks

tig_prmz

Wests Tigers team v Sharks

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 7:49 pm

I'd say McDonnell is 4th choice after teddy, moltz and Rowe.

Very weak backrow as expected- hoping they have all gotten heaps better with this preseason. I know many don't rate halatau but I'd have him there in the 13 as long as he's fit. I've seen him make some cracker cover tackles in the absence of Fulton.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 7:52 pm

It is a trial for God sake.

That means he is probably trialing people to see if they are any good.

McDonnell is there because he knows somebody but won't be when Teddy is back.
Taylor basically said he wants to give players more game time because that is what they will need in round 1. Can't argue with that.

Still in the trials and we have people writing us off already "won't be challenging for the eight" - "bottom 4 side" - maybe the wooden spoon.

Doom and gloom - I just hope the team doesn't read these comments - they are real confidence boosters.

Believe me, it will be a great season, we, will go well, youngsters will shine and some of the older guys will get their mojo back. eeeh! Ya!!! TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

willow

Post by willow » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 7:52 pm

Not too worried by the side named. Rowe, Nofo and Moltzen are yet to return from injury. Teddy will be right for round 1 so McDonnell will be relegated. Not really keen on Halatau starting, I reckon Santi adds more energy and a higher workrate. There's some good size on the bench so that looks strong.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 7:58 pm

Eddie wrote:I suppose no.

But when you see it it sort of stuns you a bit that that is close to full strength. Maybe we/some are being delausional to expect this team to challenge for the 8.

I know they were not world beaters, and I agree with the decision to cut them loose due to future planning. However Blair, Thompson, Austin and Gavet would have made the team a whole lot stronger in the forwards..

It's going to be hard to improve on last years 13th place finish is just my gut feeling.
I haven't ever really expected us to make finals this year....I see us back basically at the start of 2013.....it's a long road we have to tread...The last two years were sacrificed pretty much....let's hope JT can get this 3 or 4 year show on the road

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.1

LaT

Post by LaT » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 7:59 pm

If you called McDonnell a different name like "Shabooboo" but kept his skill and experience level, people wouldn't have an issue with him being named.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 8:00 pm

A weak back row, just as i expected. Don't have a lot of options though i guess. I love Halatau, one of my all time favourite players, but lets be serious here, if he's the best we have in 2015, we're in trouble. The guys best footy was literally 10 yrs ago.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 8:04 pm

Russell wrote:It is a trial for God sake.

That means he is probably trialing people to see if they are any good.

McDonnell is there because he knows somebody but won't be when Teddy is back.
Taylor basically said he wants to give players more game time because that is what they will need in round 1. Can't argue with that.

Still in the trials and we have people writing us off already "won't be challenging for the eight" - "bottom 4 side" - maybe the wooden spoon.

Doom and gloom - I just hope the team doesn't read these comments - they are real confidence boosters.

Believe me, it will be a great season, we, will go well, youngsters will shine and some of the older guys will get their mojo back. eeeh! Ya!!! TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But its our last trial , the side that is being named Round 1 should be playing for the trial if fit

No turning around now

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 8:05 pm

His name is Halatau not Fitzhenry.

I hope he has a cracker!

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 8:26 pm

Who are our 80 min backrowers? We need a fulton type as I don't see Sironen/Sue as having the required workrate. If anything Sue is starting to look more like a prop body shape wise and I think workrate has always been his issue.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 8:58 pm

Milky wrote:Lio for Halatau and im happy

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.1
I thought you were Milky.....

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 9:02 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:A weak back row, just as i expected. Don't have a lot of options though i guess. I love Halatau, one of my all time favourite players, but lets be serious here, if he's the best we have in 2015, we're in trouble. The guys best footy was literally 10 yrs ago.

This starting backrow just gives JT the opportunity to confirm or deny some selections......that's it....don't get too hung up on this team

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 9:48 pm

larrycorowa wrote:Who are our 80 min backrowers? We need a fulton type as I don't see Sironen/Sue as having the required workrate. If anything Sue is starting to look more like a prop body shape wise and I think workrate has always been his issue.
JT mentioned in the members info vid he thought Sirro was an 80 min player, and another I think Sue....not sure I agree with him though

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:08 pm

JT said the cronulla trial would be what he sees as the round 1 team. So here you go. Interested to see if taupau starts at lock again. He was named on the bench last trial too.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:25 pm

JT mentioned in the members info vid he thought Sirro was an 80 min player, and another I think Sue....not sure I agree with him though[/quote]

They might play 80 mins but not at a very high workrate.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:38 pm

Well its better than the 9's squad.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:48 pm

The back row looks really weak. Sue is a strong runner, however neither him nor Sironene have been anywhere near consistent first grade back rowers. No offence to Dean Halatau however as someone said he is 10 years removed from his best football and that was as a back up number 9. If he is our starting lock we are in trouble.

And if Tedesco doesn't make Round 1 that means Mcdonnell is out fullback for Round 1. Scary.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:51 pm

Two things.

#1 - has anyone given thought that despite all the complaints about Lawrence and Galloway, this is the 3rd successive coach to name them as first-choice? It tells me that we don't have better options in the squad, and future complaints are futile until we unearth a better option, or current management gets to do more recruiting. I suppose the same argument goes for Shannon Mac, who despite being custard, gets another life.

#2 - some people are bemoaning this side, but I don't think Potter or Sheens would have run out a different line up. I think it's the best we've got, and if you think that it is a substandard side, then best not get your hopes too high for 2015.

The real question is what can JT get out of this squad, even if it is arguably inferior to 2014. I'd rather a decent performing team of nuffies than a team full of names who don't deliver.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:40 pm

The sharks played really well in the Nines. This will be a good test for us. I expect our boys to have a really good go, for the whole 80mins. Otherwise we are going to be Shark food. :?