Was gonna criticise the coach...

jirskyr

Was gonna criticise the coach...

Post by jirskyr » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:48 pm

I had a bit of a revelation today about Taylor's coaching plan.

At the 70 min mark I was wondering where the heck we were going to get points from. Brooks and Moses didn't do much of anything except bomb, and we took lots of hitups without much ball movement.

Honestly the second half was 30 minutes of quite boring football and Parra just returned the favour. Though I thought we were gradually winning the arm-wrestle, the physical battle, I was totally unconvinced that we could lay on points.

Then Parra crack under pressure, we jag a try and it quickly becomes 3 tries. We did something like this to the Doggies last week too, turned one try into several, after appearing to have had nothing in attack.

And I wondered to myself, at fulltime, if Taylor actually wanted us to be boring and methodical all along, that he believes we can score points if we keep at it for 80 minutes.

The defence was good. Sure Eels struggled for cohesion, but we defended our line a lot today and they only managed a DH try. Often it is defence that causes opposition attacks to crumble. In fact I'd say the defence was better than good, I have a new-found confidence in our ability to hold teams out. Besides a brilliant 10 mins from Inglis and a few good tries from a desperate Dogs outfit, we've equipped ourselves well in defence. I believe missed tackles are down across the entire group and we aren't brittle on our goal line.

Potter spoke a lot last year about earning the right to play expansive football, about being risky only when we had the field position. It never really happened.

This 2015 team actually looks like producing on that plan. We still make lots of dumb decisions in attack and can give away a poor penalty, but we have at times become stubbornly conservative in an attempt to play ourselves into dominance. The team appears fit enough to compete for 80 against anyone, and when our ball control is good, we take games to the wire.

So today was ugly, odd to watch, at times worrisome. But we do have game breakers, it has been proven, and we held Parra scoreless for 51 minutes. Parra have not scored less than 12 in previous games and accounted for Souths last week.

We've got a long way to go, but maybe Taylor is onto something?

Milky

Post by Milky » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:55 pm

Moses and Brooks MUST play what is infront of them, they can not stay structured at all times.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:58 pm

Good post Jirskyr.

I dont know if we have game plans for each team at this stage but Taylor is obviously hell bent on creating a new mind set and a new style of play for this team.

We have under achieved and been inconsistent for too long now so someone needed to do this.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:13 pm

I dunno, but I guess this article backs up your assumption, Jirskyr. If Taylor was delighted with that crap performance then he must've orchestrated it!

Taylor delighted with Wests Tigers' effort

By Ian McCullough
April 6, 2015, 6:47 pm

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor insists he felt no extra delight in beating Parramatta - the club he almost joined in 2013 - after the joint venture secured a scrappy 22-6 win at ANZ Stadium on Easter Monday.

Taylor had agreed terms to take over as Eels coach for the start of the 2014 season and even conducted an interview with the club's in-house media team about his plans.

However, a huge back flip by the Parramatta board saw the offer withdrawn and the job instead given to Brad Arthur.

The former South Sydney coach returned to the Sydney Roosters to work as Trent Robinson's assistant before succeeding Mick Potter who was sacked by the Tigers after two underwhelming years in charge.

Despite sporting a wry smile Taylor insisted he's moved on from the disappointment and was more pleased with his young side's ability to outlast an injury-hit Eels led 6-4 until 10 minutes from time.

"It's not something I have thought about at all," Taylor said.

"I was really happy with most of what we did across the 80 minutes, the finish was on the back of sticking to what we wanted to do and we wore them down in the end.

"The boys defended really well in the first half and that set up the win for us.

"We just want to get better and we are, today was a big improvement on what we've been doing."

The win was set up by a Pat Richards kick on the last tackle when he showed nimble footwork to stay in touch under pressure from John Folau.

Tedesco was then on hand to score what would be the first of three Tigers tries in the last 10 minutes.

The 33-year-old winger scored his side's third try, which was awarded as an eight-pointer by referee Jared Maxwell, who ruled Will Hopoate had made a high tackle as Richards dotted down.

He finished with a personal haul of 10 points and said he's revelling in being the elder statesman in one of the youngest teams in the NRL.

"I'm just enjoying my part and my role in the side," Richards said.

"It was a tough old slog out there at times and we hung in there and we end up getting away with it so it's a credit to the boys working hard for 80 minutes."

Parramatta's defeat extended their miserable record at ANZ Stadium where they have now lost 17 of their last 18 fixtures since 2011 and the team looked a far cry from the one that was so impressive against South Sydney last week.

With five outside backs sidelined before the game and centre Ryan Morgan forced off with concussion there were mitigating circumstances for their lack of firepower, but Arthur said it was no excuse for an error-strewn display.

"We didn't play to win, we were trying to protect our lead or play not to get beaten," Arthur said.

"I am not sure if it was a turning point but making three errors with 10 minutes to go and for three sets in a row we didn't complete coming out of the red zone.

"The injuries probably didn't help us but it was 6-4 with 12 minutes to go."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/26 ... rs-effort/
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:17 pm

I think whoever had the bright idea putting mid field bomb after mid field bomb up deserves some criticism. It was over kill, especially putting one up in the first set of six after half time, 40m out from your line.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:39 pm

jirskyr wrote:I had a bit of a revelation today about Taylor's coaching plan.

At the 70 min mark I was wondering where the heck we were going to get points from. Brooks and Moses didn't do much of anything except bomb, and we took lots of hitups without much ball movement.

Honestly the second half was 30 minutes of quite boring football and Parra just returned the favour. Though I thought we were gradually winning the arm-wrestle, the physical battle, I was totally unconvinced that we could lay on points.

Then Parra crack under pressure, we jag a try and it quickly becomes 3 tries. We did something like this to the Doggies last week too, turned one try into several, after appearing to have had nothing in attack.

And I wondered to myself, at fulltime, if Taylor actually wanted us to be boring and methodical all along, that he believes we can score points if we keep at it for 80 minutes.

The defence was good. Sure Eels struggled for cohesion, but we defended our line a lot today and they only managed a DH try. Often it is defence that causes opposition attacks to crumble. In fact I'd say the defence was better than good, I have a new-found confidence in our ability to hold teams out. Besides a brilliant 10 mins from Inglis and a few good tries from a desperate Dogs outfit, we've equipped ourselves well in defence. I believe missed tackles are down across the entire group and we aren't brittle on our goal line.

Potter spoke a lot last year about earning the right to play expansive football, about being risky only when we had the field position. It never really happened.

This 2015 team actually looks like producing on that plan. We still make lots of dumb decisions in attack and can give away a poor penalty, but we have at times become stubbornly conservative in an attempt to play ourselves into dominance. The team appears fit enough to compete for 80 against anyone, and when our ball control is good, we take games to the wire.

So today was ugly, odd to watch, at times worrisome. But we do have game breakers, it has been proven, and we held Parra scoreless for 51 minutes. Parra have not scored less than 12 in previous games and accounted for Souths last week.

We've got a long way to go, but maybe Taylor is onto something?
Focussing on completions and defence maybe??

As they say, get the defence right, the attack will come.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:57 pm

Apparently at this point our defence is ranked 2nd in the NRL (73 points conceded). From where we were last year in that area some big kudos need to be given to all involved

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:28 pm

I've mentioned this in other threads and im convinced now this is all Taylor, he's got us giving ourselves a chance in games instead of like the Tigers of old that would lose games by practically throwing them away,we were experts at beating ourselves. (ahem benji) Now it seems he's got us defending better and trying not to give the opposition anything cheaply. Its pretty boring at times but i think at the moment he's just trying to build a solid foundation that as the season goes on we can build on, especially our halves! I
've been critical of our halves so far but i think i'd rather them play like this than try too hard and just wind up making errors, that put us under pressure, i think things will start to click as the season wears on and hopefully our execution and more importantly our kicking improves, im sure the kicking is one area Taylor would like to see a bit better.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:37 pm

Tbf, i don't think the weather helped today, that definitely contributed to the game being a bore fest. We've been in every game so far, including games against last yrs gf's, one of which we should have won. I just hope that tactic of mid field bombs was a horses for courses tactic. Idk how Moses and Brooks will develop if all they're doing is mid field bombs for 90% of the game. They need to kick to corners, and if they can't do that, Farah needs to take the initiative and do it himself.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:59 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Tbf, i don't think the weather helped today, that definitely contributed to the game being a bore fest. We've been in every game so far, including games against last yrs gf's, one of which we should have won. I just hope that tactic of mid field bombs was a horses for courses tactic. Idk how Moses and Brooks will develop if all they're doing is mid field bombs for 90% of the game. They need to kick to corners, and if they can't do that, Farah needs to take the initiative and do it himself.
What made the game a borefest was the referees inability to monitor the 10m. It was short and pushed to the extreme boundaries by both teams (more so the eels of course).

Our halves had no space and no attacking play was able to unfold as a result. Our forwards were also less effective as a result.

It was an eels tactic of course to stop us getting a roll on, the refs did the game no favour what so ever.

2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 11:04 pm

We have won 3 games with about twenty minutes of good footy in each and lost another in GP with the same

These combinations will get better and we will improve greatly

If people aren't getting a touch excited , they should be

My only issue is the sides we have beaten so far I had ranked 13th,14th and 16th at the start of the season

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 11:17 pm

If we become a boring side that wins more games than it loses and has the best defence in the NRL, I think I can cop that - would be a nice change from the 'exciting' ad lib plays that rarely came off and the tissue paper defence of previous years.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

grrrrrrrrrr

Post by grrrrrrrrrr » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 11:31 pm

Taylor has turned the club around. We have won 3 and narrowly lost to the two grandfinalists. The defence through the trials and the first 5 games has been great. After our lack of recruitment most were writing 2015 off , but this young rooster has showed they have what it takes to be competitive with any side.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 12:01 am

We definitely seem to be in the game to win it at the 80th minute, rather than in years past where we'll string together 60 minutes of unbeatable footy and then concede some cheapies after.
Also, every team we've played has played poorly, or appears to have been below their standards. Five times in a row is a bit coincidental, can we credit any of this to our defence?

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 12:04 am

Flippedy wrote:If we become a boring side that wins more games than it loses and has the best defence in the NRL, I think I can cop that - would be a nice change from the 'exciting' ad lib plays that rarely came off and the tissue paper defence of previous years.
Hear, hear

I don't care if we play boring and have good defence. As long we keep opposition to 2 tries or less we will win most games.

Go Tigers :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 10:41 am

The thing that has impressed me the most about Taylor is how many players that have improved under his tutelage

I don't think one player has gone backwards

Says a lot really especially seeing it has happened in such a short time

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 10:58 am

happy tiger wrote:The thing that has impressed me the most about Taylor is how many players that have improved under his tutelage

I don't think one player has gone backwards

Says a lot really especially seeing it has happened in such a short time
Are we are a better structured team to 2014? We are in the same position to what we were in 2014, plus we have players who are fit and have naturally developed/matured.

Personally, its too early to call, but I like the defence the boys are working through.

The next 6-8 weeks will give us a better picture if Taylor is the difference!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 11:07 am

I don't think the bombs are being used as a method of attack, I think they are being used as a method of defence. The bombs are allowing the players to tackle the opposition as soon as they receive the ball, meaning you have the best possible field position as the fullback and wingers don't have time to return it.

I had not considered this before but jirskyr's post is sensational. I am sure our attack will be let of the leash, but not until later in the year when we have a foothold on the ladder. For now it looks like our attack will be limited to the last 10-15 of each half.