Robbie Farah to lead Tigers from the shadows

Wests Tigers Discussion
weststigers4life

Robbie Farah to lead Tigers from the shadows

Post by weststigers4life » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 1:06 am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6545439527

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah says finishing outside the top eight again next season will be unacceptable. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

It's a startling admission. Especially in the final days of a year where this Wests Tigers captain has buried his mother, represented his country and produced 64 tackles in that State of Origin performance.

A season where the 28-year-old rake excelled despite his worth as an Origin player being questioned.

Despite both a Twitter drama involving no less than Prime Minister Julia Gillard and the persistent questioning of his relationship with fellow Tiger Benji Marshall.

And which Tigers player could honestly say Farah didn't represent them well in that explosive interview with NRL on Fox host Matty Johns?

Yet still the Tigers skipper wants to do more.

"As a captain, much more," he tells The Daily Telegraph.

"Sure, I'm kinda pleased with the way I handled a tough year. A year where I was challenged a fair bit mentally.

"But as far as the Tigers are concerned, we missed the NRL playoffs. That's unacceptable. And it's my job to ensure we get the very best from this playing group.

"So whether it be through my actions on the field, or maybe something else, it's my role to help get the best out of every individual. I have to drag players along with me because failing to make the top eight again won't be accepted by this club."

Despite being among NRL premiership favourites at the start of the year, Wests Tigers finished 10th - a result which eventually led to head coach Tim Sheens being sacked after 10 years in charge.

Farah says Sheens' departure - with two years still to run on his contract - proves to the players that another season finishing outside the top eight will be followed by the sound of further contracts shredding.

"If we'd made the top eight, Tim Sheens would still be here - so I think the precedent has now been set," he says.

"Making the eight, it's now the NRL standard. Anything less is considered unacceptable and the club has proved that by moving Tim on.

"It's no secret rugby league's a business and the players need to know they aren't immune. The way we played last year as group wasn't good enough. We need to turn that around."

After a summer in which he holidayed in Bali and went to the Melbourne Cup, Farah insists a tough pre-season under new coach Michael Potter had the Tigers primed for a year of redemption.

The players have already sweated through a draining three days at Camp Competitive Edge on the Central Coast then, more recently, were dragged through that Sydney torture chamber know as the Wanda sand dunes.

"Mick's come in with a tough attitude which is great," the hooker says.

"He's big on discipline, on accountability and that's exactly what we need around here.

"Players are certainly on their toes because they know, reputations count for nothing. It's a new year, a new start and everyone is being treated the same."

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 1:10 am

weststigers4life wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6545439527

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah says finishing outside the top eight again next season will be unacceptable. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

It's a startling admission. Especially in the final days of a year where this Wests Tigers captain has buried his mother, represented his country and produced 64 tackles in that State of Origin performance.

A season where the 28-year-old rake excelled despite his worth as an Origin player being questioned.

Despite both a Twitter drama involving no less than Prime Minister Julia Gillard and the persistent questioning of his relationship with fellow Tiger Benji Marshall.

And which Tigers player could honestly say Farah didn't represent them well in that explosive interview with NRL on Fox host Matty Johns?

Yet still the Tigers skipper wants to do more.

"As a captain, much more," he tells The Daily Telegraph.

"Sure, I'm kinda pleased with the way I handled a tough year. A year where I was challenged a fair bit mentally.

"But as far as the Tigers are concerned, we missed the NRL playoffs. That's unacceptable. And it's my job to ensure we get the very best from this playing group.

"So whether it be through my actions on the field, or maybe something else, it's my role to help get the best out of every individual. I have to drag players along with me because failing to make the top eight again won't be accepted by this club."

Despite being among NRL premiership favourites at the start of the year, Wests Tigers finished 10th - a result which eventually led to head coach Tim Sheens being sacked after 10 years in charge.

Farah says Sheens' departure - with two years still to run on his contract - proves to the players that another season finishing outside the top eight will be followed by the sound of further contracts shredding.

"If we'd made the top eight, Tim Sheens would still be here - so I think the precedent has now been set," he says.

"Making the eight, it's now the NRL standard. Anything less is considered unacceptable and the club has proved that by moving Tim on.

"It's no secret rugby league's a business and the players need to know they aren't immune. The way we played last year as group wasn't good enough. We need to turn that around."

After a summer in which he holidayed in Bali and went to the Melbourne Cup, Farah insists a tough pre-season under new coach Michael Potter had the Tigers primed for a year of redemption.

The players have already sweated through a draining three days at Camp Competitive Edge on the Central Coast then, more recently, were dragged through that Sydney torture chamber know as the Wanda sand dunes.

"Mick's come in with a tough attitude which is great," the hooker says.

"He's big on discipline, on accountability and that's exactly what we need around here.

"Players are certainly on their toes because they know, reputations count for nothing. It's a new year, a new start and everyone is being treated the same."
How about starting with a contract extension?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 1:36 am

I think reading into what Robbie's trying to say if we miss out on the eight again , he might move on

westy81

Post by westy81 » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 1:51 am

happy tiger wrote:I think reading into what Robbie's trying to say if we miss out on the eight again , he might move on
Yea that's what I'm afraid of, I just hope we are in the top 6 for most of the year

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

alex

Post by alex » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 5:15 am

Good to hear this coming from a player

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 5:55 am

happy tiger wrote:I think reading into what Robbie's trying to say if we miss out on the eight again , he might move on

LOL
You watch too many soapies

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 6:59 am

Very Proud of Robbie, The year that passed was a roller coaster (Story also didn't mention the Injuries ie Concussions)

Lets not forget the significant part Robbie played in the negotiating and communication to the media in and around the Players Association Salary Cap increase. Bucket loads of Business Acumen.

Future Club Leader off the field.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 7:32 am

Possibly, and if not he, then certainly others will. Let's just hope the Tigers do find the missing ingredient to make the 8 and Robbie does stay on for another couple of years.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 7:54 am

For season 2012, there was alot of talk.
we all witnessed the end result there.

its going to be a waiting game, to see what changes in 2013.
no expectations from me.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 8:03 am

If we are to re-sign Robbie it will have to be done well before we have cemented a Top 8 spot.

cusschops

Post by cusschops » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 8:13 am

Great to hear from Robbie.
Something pretty much unrelated to the topic but I was just thinking and can anyone confirm or deny the facts.
When Robbie was dropped after SOO game 1 a few years back we went on and nearly and should have really won the comp. I think we were the best team all year.
Last year, when the menis didn't make it and the dogs were the best team for the most of the year.
I know Robbie had his personal dramas this year with his mum passing and all too.
I know the players strive for it but maybe it's not such a good thing having our players represent? Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 9:40 am

I doubt that Happy. His future will already be made up by the time finals come around

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 9:40 am

Really a nothing article

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 9:59 am

If Farah really wants to leave WT because he thinks we cannot compete at the top level, he would never go to an (IMHO) inferior team like Parra. He would probably consider StSteelers (with Bellamy) or Sea Pigeons.

madunit

Post by madunit » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:21 am

this is the most telling quote from Farah:

"He's big on discipline, on accountability and that's exactly what we need around here."

two things which Sheens clearly never ever showed.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 4:57 pm

alexaki wrote:Really a nothing article

exactly what i thought , the same is said every year just by a different player.
Tell me he has resigned that's what i wanna hear...
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

LaT

Post by LaT » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 5:07 pm

There is plenty in that article, its not just another "looking forward to next season, gee whiz we are training hard etc." fluff piece.

It directly addresses what we hate most, missing the finals and not being contenders.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 5:56 pm

He is a great Captain. A true leader.

Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999