Huge numbers for the Tigers on Fox Sports

•  Recent Topics
Wests Tigers Discussion
sideline eye

Re: Huge numbers for the Tigers on Fox Sports

Post by sideline eye » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:09 pm

I read recently that Wests Tigers are deep in discussion with the operators of the new Western Sydney Stadium (if that's what it's called) about playing out of there.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:12 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:09 pm
I read recently that Wests Tigers are deep in discussion with the operators of the new Western Sydney Stadium (if that's what it's called) about playing out of there.
Yes. Thats the issue.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:16 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:12 pm
I go everywhere..even if we built a Ground in Antarctica...Parking would be easy..

Oh and I've never been asked my postcode at Cambo or Leichhardt yet in Melbourne I was go figure..
Yep, they have no idea how big our supporter base is. My guess it’s massive. You can’t think about supporters by suburb....it’s nonsense.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:21 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:16 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:12 pm
I go everywhere..even if we built a Ground in Antarctica...Parking would be easy..

Oh and I've never been asked my postcode at Cambo or Leichhardt yet in Melbourne I was go figure..
Yep, they have no idea how big our supporter base is. My guess it’s massive. You can’t think about supporters by suburb....it’s nonsense.
Nonsense is the best word for it. Teams like Penrith, Manly and Cronulla would love to have the spread of fans we have throughout Sydney. Yet some fans want us to shrink back into Campbelltown.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:24 pm

I don't want to shrink back to Cambelltown. I just want 1 home ground that isn't Anz or the new parts stadium.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:54 pm

So.. TV ratings. Maybe we’re just an entertaining team to watch? (which is a positive in its own right). There’s no way of knowing whether people tuning in are fans/supporters of us specifically, or just enjoy watching our games. Probably a little biased but I’ve really enjoyed watching us this year. Playing some great footy (for the most part).

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:06 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:54 pm
So.. TV ratings. Maybe we’re just an entertaining team to watch? (which is a positive in its own right). There’s no way of knowing whether people tuning in are fans/supporters of us specifically, or just enjoy watching our games. Probably a little biased but I’ve really enjoyed watching us this year. Playing some great footy (for the most part).
Agreed. They put in effort every week so can't ask for more than that. I'm unused to it haha

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:23 pm

Our supporters are nation wide and if you asked the supporters at our games where you lived you would get a wide cross section of Sydney and regional NSW.The club has a very wide fanbase including interstate.The dragons and souffs are probably the only other sydney clubs to be able to claim this.
We are much more than a "locality"

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 14 May, 2018 12:42 am

Seantice wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:56 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:05 pm
Seantice wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 8:53 pm
What happens if we play put of parra stadium in the future? Won't that put all the Campbell town supporters offside?
Because the ''Leichhardt Supporters" would love this idea?

I didnt know what had cambo & LO supporters, thought we all followed the same team

How sad after nearly 20 years this garbage still exists
Sorry I wasn't implying that. I don't live in Sydney so its irrelevant to me. But I'd think that the next generation of supporters might not come from Leichhardt or Campballtown if we take our team away from there. If your a young school student with no team from Campbell town and The Tigers played out of Parramatta why would they support them? Ditto for Leichhardt. We have a big base of supporters. Hopefully some of them won't be alienated by puture decisions regarding our home ground..
To be honest they are going to follow who ever the successful teams are, The majority of kids at my school support QLD in the state of origin. Kids today do not think in terms of its my local team. The world is a much smaller place to them than it was to us when we grew up.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 12:53 am

Snake wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:51 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:39 pm
The cub needs to engage the supporter base in Sydney. We should be one of the strongest clubs.
I get the feeling this is starting to happen ,like it or not the club has to put down a base ..to be frank I have had enough of the West’s / Balmain rubbish that ended 18 yrs ago
The separation of the fan base has to stop ....from day one the club has pandered to this edict.
My opinion is make the decision and the supporters that follow good the others can please themselves,this club is in no position not to move forward and to finally find a home .Build it and they will come!
Considering our reserve grade team was changed from WestsTigers to Western Suburbs Magpies only this year it seems some are all for separation of the brand.

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 14 May, 2018 6:34 am

Yep I agree there.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 14 May, 2018 8:10 am

Some people just cant come around to the idea of sharing a ground with Parramatta.

If i was running the club id ignore these people and go ahead with the idea to play out of the new stadium.

Its the future and we should be more focused on new fans rather than the ones who are too set in their ways to understand the inns and outs of the new stadium set up.
Its an opinion!

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon 14 May, 2018 8:32 am

cktiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 12:53 am
Snake wrote:
gallagher wrote:
The cub needs to engage the supporter base in Sydney. We should be one of the strongest clubs.
I get the feeling this is starting to happen ,like it or not the club has to put down a base ..to be frank I have had enough of the West’s / Balmain rubbish that ended 18 yrs ago
The separation of the fan base has to stop ....from day one the club has pandered to this edict.
My opinion is make the decision and the supporters that follow good the others can please themselves,this club is in no position not to move forward and to finally find a home .Build it and they will come!
Considering our reserve grade team was changed from WestsTigers to Western Suburbs Magpies only this year it seems some are all for separation of the brand.
I don’t think it really matters, canberra, Melbourne, parra don’t seem to mind... its giving our kids a lesson into history when we carry on about the old days....

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:00 am

Blaze wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 8:32 am
cktiger wrote:
Snake wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Obviously the Balmain/ Wests thing hasn’t ended years ago, otherwise you( and others) wouldn’t still be referring to It,.
People only come to games in big numbers when the club is playing well, and are winning, no matter where we are, I just think that irs ridiculous to be based inn an area that is becoming less and less of a rugby league oriented population.

I just think that we are making a big mistake in letting other clubs get a foothold in a area with so many RL mad supporters and even more importantly, young players.
I’m not sure how Balmain and Wests junior leagues are running as far as players are concerned, but when I moved up here, we were struggling to pick SG Ball teams at Wests and I think that we were combined with Balmain, I know that at that time Five Dock were in our comp, and that time most of the team was Granville diggers with a couple from fivedock
I don’t know what the situation is with juniors there now, has it got any better?

I don’t think it really matters, canberra, Melbourne, parra don’t seem to mind... its giving our kids a lesson into history when we carry on about the old days....

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:16 am

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 8:10 am
Some people just cant come around to the idea of sharing a ground with Parramatta.

If i was running the club id ignore these people and go ahead with the idea to play out of the new stadium.

Its the future and we should be more focused on new fans rather than the ones who are too set in their ways to understand the inns and outs of the new stadium set up.
I agree 100%

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 May, 2018 11:15 am

Blaze wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 8:32 am
cktiger wrote:
Snake wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Winning is probably the best way to strengthen the Brand.
I'm for a strong WestsTigers brand.
There are lots of ways to create this and strength the Brand. ATM I think we do have a strong Brand. T.V rating have been good for the WT's for years. We have a united board with good management and aren't looking like we could fold for financial reasons. The five home grounds have not been great for a strong brand.
The Bronco's (as much as I hate to say it) probably have one of the strongest Brands in the league. Mainly because they are the only team in a big Rugby League capital city and they have one home ground.
Having a solid home base with a leagues club or Head Office next to it, would be ideal. I don't mind sharing a ground with other Club's or Codes. However having a shared ground right in the middle of Parramatta when the League is looking at reducing the amount of Sydney teams doesn't seem like the ideal spot for us.
in Ivan we distrust

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Mon 14 May, 2018 11:48 am

Not being based in Sydney, I don’t get too wrapped up in the home ground debate. In fact, playing in different regions probably builds the brand ie. Souths have a big fan base in wa by virtue of the fact they have been taking home games there for 10yrs+.

What I would contribute is that a new purpose built rectangular stadium in a central location would solve some of our current problems ie. liechardt (no facilities) and Campbeltown (too far) no good for our corporate supporter base. Anz (poor ground for rugby league). I think there is also a much greater chance of our inner city supporters travelling to this ground for home games and vice versa for Campbeltown supporters.

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 14 May, 2018 11:57 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 11:48 am
Not being based in Sydney, I don’t get too wrapped up in the home ground debate. In fact, playing in different regions probably builds the brand ie. Souths have a big fan base in wa by virtue of the fact they have been taking home games there for 10yrs+.

What I would contribute is that a new purpose built rectangular stadium in a central location would solve some of our current problems ie. liechardt (no facilities) and Campbeltown (too far) no good for our corporate supporter base. Anz (poor ground for rugby league). I think there is also a much greater chance of our inner city supporters travelling to this ground for home games and vice versa for Campbeltown supporters.
The new Western Sydney Stadium is the central stadium that the government is building