Mcqueen

Wests Tigers Discussion
Donald Trump

Re: Mcqueen

Post by Donald Trump » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 7:52 am

For me Aloiai needs to be in our 17 every week. I love the way he plays. High intensity.
Definitely one of our best. My starting backrower with Lawrence and Taylor.

McQueen is playing scared - can’t blame him but can blame our recruitment for this purchase.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 7:56 am

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 6:27 am
steve-o wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 5:53 am
Wikipedia says it was only a 3 year deal. I don’t think he deserves to be in first grade. Lawrence is having a good year so far, Aloiai is our hardest running backrower, and MCK offers more in attack with his footwork and offloads.
Think aloiai fits in the front row not second
I think we all want Aloiai to solve our right edge problem but he doesn't appear to have the skill-set to thrive there. When he is up the middle though he goes really good.

I see him as a prop or lock.

Tiger78

Post by Tiger78 » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:04 am

I have watched most of the isp games and sorry to say Mcqueen doesnt deserve to be anywhere near first grade. A player with his resume should be killing it in reserve grade as Sue and Aloiai have done when they were there. Has dropped the ball so many times with the line wide open he just doesn't have it anymore and has been a waste of money imo , sad but true.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:22 am

The only change we need is Taylor out of hooker and replaces MCK.
Its an opinion!

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:28 am

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:22 am
And Kev to replace Tui.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:29 am

upthetigers wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:28 am
The Patriot wrote:
And Kev to replace Tui.

And Tui or another utility to the 14.

Sorted!
Its an opinion!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:38 am

Why can't Ivan see these obvious changes... :roll:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:42 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:38 am
Why can't Ivan see these obvious changes... :roll:
Obviously Nathan is using his Jedi mind powers for evil , why can't you see that , your the Trekkie fan :brick: :brick:

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:46 am

The Patriot wrote:
This should be the first change that happens.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 9:06 am

Won't see out his contract.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 9:07 am

Tiger78 wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 8:04 am
I have watched most of the isp games and sorry to say Mcqueen doesnt deserve to be anywhere near first grade. A player with his resume should be killing it in reserve grade as Sue and Aloiai have done when they were there. Has dropped the ball so many times with the line wide open he just doesn't have it anymore and has been a waste of money imo , sad but true.
x2
Dud.

Medically retire or released to CQ capras.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:18 am

Never understood why we signed him as others have said puzzling. It is what it is and 3 more years on the books.
No more plodders!
:sign:

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:26 am

WT2K wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:18 am
Never understood why we signed him as others have said puzzling. It is what it is and 3 more years on the books.
Oh dear...and I bet he didn't come cheap....shop him around.....Brownie where are you....

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:37 am

WT2K wrote:
Because we were desperately short of quality 2nd rowers at the time and he was an experienced former origin rep who was playing well for the Titans before his neck injury worsened. It wasn't necessarily a bad signing at the time (unless they were aware of the extent of his neck problem from a medical assessment).

ancient magpie

Post by ancient magpie » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:42 am

I think ALOIAI could be the damaging backrower we are lacking but Ivan seems to prefer to use him ass abattering ram. I think he was far more dangerous last year when he was playing wider not in the middle.Everybody else has there big boys running at halves and 5/8s so why dont we.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:08 pm

Nelson wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:37 am
WT2K wrote:
Because we were desperately short of quality 2nd rowers at the time and he was an experienced former origin rep who was playing well for the Titans before his neck injury worsened. It wasn't necessarily a bad signing at the time (unless they were aware of the extent of his neck problem from a medical assessment).
I don't agree that he was playing well at the Titans, I don't even think he was playing well at Souths.
He had one good season there and has been run of the mill since.
When I heard we'd signed him my first reaction was WHY!!!!!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:27 pm

Snake wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 7:07 am
Here is the rub ,has this team shown any real idea how to score in the oppositions red zone !.....most here believe the only good forward is someone that continually bends the line and storms over for tries how is that going lately ?
Enter Mcqueen a player that has huge experience in all levels of the game ,the last and only time he has played in the top grade he positioned himself to lay on two try assist movements on the try line but the players around him were not good enough to take advantage of the situation.
I do not understand the hesitation that Cleary has not to include him off the bench ,especially after watching many forwards last week playing dumb footy and having no idea ..he is also a competent defender .Watching these forwards over the past month my first selection is Chris McQueen off the bench as he does have a footy brain , but then players like Aloiai and Chee-Kam repeatedly are selected but give away penalties /play dumb and generally have no impact ...I think a player with smarts and good skills trumps that any day but that is my opinion we have someone that can win games languishing in reserve grade .
I can understand Cleary's hesitation, because I've seen a few ISP games and McQueen has not stood out as an obvious promotion, but also I would be ok with him being given more of a run in firsts.

You are right about McQueen vs Chee-Kam - McQueen is a much smarter footballer. Same with Chris Lawrence, who was much maligned up until this year, but Rowdy is a shrewd footballer beyond his pure physical capacity. In terms of pure power and explosiveness, then no neither Rowdy nor McQueen can match Aloiai, MCK, Sue. But those latter few players struggle to lay down the minutes, don't position themselves effectively on the fringes and have lots of mistakes in them.

Say what you will about Lawrence, most of his mistakes are from dodgy passes when he's in the teeth of the defence, because he actually puts his body on the line to run holes. Rowdy is also a great kick-chaser and proved it again on the weekend.

MCK has been given the opportunity to play bigger minutes, but frankly I see lots of dumb play in those minutes. He certainly has heart, but I saw a fatigued footballer against the Roosters, always half a step behind in defence, in retreating to his line, and taking fairly mundane options with the ball. His errors were from fatigue. Don't blame the coach and say he needed to be swapped - the starting backrowers need to play the minutes, that's the deal. That's why Rochow's been picked so often, not because he's a dynamic footballer, but because he can plug holes for 80 mins.

An example, apart from the obvious HT penalty that MCK gave away. When Ferguson put on the Roosters' second try, Benji raced up and MCK was forced to cover to the outside, so it's not MCK's fault. As play progressed he continued to come forward rather than across, then once he did adjust on Ferguson, he sort of grabbed him by the waist and pulled down - at which time Ferguson had already drawn Marsters and freed his arm for the offload. MCK could possibly have tackled the arm or aimed at the football, and without diving he did nothing to stop Ferguson's momentum.

So whilst it wasn't MCK's fault for the overlap, if you are a legitimate edge backrower, you need to be able to cover those situations, because the opposition are always running fullbacks into the edges to create the overlap. MCK just looked gassed to me, he was half a step short on the play.

The other thing I'll say about McQueen is that in ISP, if you are a edge hole runner, you rely on the service of your halves. So it becomes harder to be a "standout" if your service is ISP-level or worse. All fine for Aloiai and Sue to take some strong carries and drag defenders - ISP-level defenders from an individual run. That doesn't happen the same way in first grade.

Last comment: big ask, but I want to know why our backrowers don't run lines any more? Lawrence is the only one who does it. Part of the problem with a stuttering attack is lack of options. When Brooks and/or Benji run to the line, if the only pass available is the early one to the centre, then it's not that hard to deal with. Where are our players in motion? Tui has failed to insert himself here the past 2 weeks and the backrowers are often nowhere to be seen. I looked up a video of Gareth Ellis to explain what I mean. He's obviously an extreme talent, but if you are always making yourself available on these runs, then you put the opposition in two minds and the gaps start to appear:

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:39 pm

MCK has struggled on the right. It's got to be worth a go, give him one game to start on the right and prove his experience and skills deserve his shot ahead of Rochow who should be returning soon.