Re: Clean out needs to continue

Post by TigerTiger » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 7:07 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:33 pm
wmlmaster wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:29 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:25 pm
You can only move on whose off contract, and then you can only really replace with players who are on similar money and hope you unearth 3 or 4 Corey Thompson’s. Pretty unlikely.
True if you are at the salary caps limit but apparently we have a lot of money to spare
We still need to sign depth players.
So, things to remember for next year:
  • MBye is coming to plug our fullback hole
  • We lost Suli, Milne, already this year, and Kev is going at the end of the year also. (Suli was reportedly on about $430m)
  • I'm assuming we will release Godinet, and Sue OR Grant (but probably not both as replacement props are hard to come by and they are good for depth
  • We are looking likely to extend a couple of ISP players this year into our Top 30, giving us more money to front load for next year
  • Realistically, with 6 or 7 players going (Suli, Milne, Kev, Godinet, Sue/Grant, Benji?, +??), we will have around $1.4m++ left from this year front loaded, and about another $1.2m from those guys leaving
  • MBye cost around $600k, so that's $2m over 5 or 6 players - enough for depth and probably 2 more first class high profile players
I haven't given up on this year, but after today's performance, I find myself looking for some positives somewhere, and improving our roster seems the logical conclusion.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 7:41 pm

Can't disagree with this.
All duds.

Twal is the best.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 7:45 pm

Can't argue with the op.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 8:04 pm

Agree with OP
No more plodders!
:sign:

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 8:13 pm

I have always thought that when talking about depth, it is better to offer a young bloke the chance to step up, than to hold onto someone who has proven that they are not up to it.

That is why I was stunned when Godinet was signed. MCK has proven he is a reserve grader,able to fill a hole in 1st grade when asked for limited minutes. I agree that there a couple of other that should be moved on. I would like to see Felise given an opportunity before being written off.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:09 pm

wmlmaster wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:21 pm
Tigergoo wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 5:38 pm
Funny, where was this post during the first 5 or 6 rounds when we were going ok. As I recall it Benji was a major reason we won many of those games.
As far as I’m concerned we are in a results driven business (competition), I support the Tigers 100% and if they are getting results as they were at the beginning of the year you have my support as a player. On the other hand if you are not getting results than I’m afraid you have to go (as a player) and bring someone in that can get results ..... aim for the stars so you can reach the moon.

I don’t hope for success I demand it and I’m sick of our supporters accepting anything else.

This year as far as the salary cap is concerned started fresh and we should expect to be in the finals otherwise this year is a FAIL.
:blah :blah

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:48 pm

Gee that McQueen deal really was a shocker on the tigers behalf. Fancy signing him to a 4 year deal. Best course of action is to keep him in reserve grade, hope he gets jack of park football and looks for a contract in England.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 12:41 am

tigerap wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 4:04 pm
The following players have no future IMO with the Tigers, they should be punted after this year:

Lolohea
McQueen
Chee Kam
Godinet
Malaka
Mcillwrick
Sue
Grant
Benji

We need to recruit a top shelf:
Second rower
Winger
Centre
Hooker

So disappointing our last 9 games...
You named Benji twice , he's been a malaka since Rd 5

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:14 am

steve-o wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:48 pm
Gee that McQueen deal really was a shocker on the tigers behalf. Fancy signing him to a 4 year deal. Best course of action is to keep him in reserve grade, hope he gets jack of park football and looks for a contract in England.
Pretty sure it was a 3 year deal at around $300k per season. Could be wrong....

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:19 am

Roar Power wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:14 am
steve-o wrote:
It was supposedly 400k pa.Good retirement fund for a 30 year old

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:23 am

Yep i thought they signed McQueen on $400k Per season as well.

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:28 am

The guys on little money are easy to move on as they see their chances elsewhere.

AS someone pointed out, its very hard to move on like McQueen, Chee Kam who are on "ok" money, as noone else will really want to pay them anything besides bare minimum. McQueen can either decide to take everything hes been offered and spend 3 years in reserve grade earning 400k, or he may feel he wants to play higher grade footy and seek a deal overseas.

Agree with OP though, practically all of them have to go. MWZ is okay, but if he is on one wing, we need an out and out speedstar on the other.

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:31 am

IC should play McQueen at prop in the NRL playing long minutes.

Hopefully he can then medically retire. win/win.

Agree with this list

The following players have no future IMO with the Tigers, they should be punted after this year:

Lolohea
McQueen
Chee Kam
Godinet
Malaka
Mcillwrick
Sue
Grant
Benji

Second rower (someone like Tyson Fizzell)
Winger (pace to burn)
Centre (can set up a winger and create tries. solid in defence)
Hooker (still have hope for Liddle but need a back up)

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:46 am

Roar Power wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:14 am
steve-o wrote:
No idea re money, but you are correct on the length.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 9:25 am

Clearyweareone wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:31 am
IC should play McQueen at prop in the NRL playing long minutes.

Hopefully he can then medically retire. win/win.

Agree with this list

Lolohea
McQueen
Chee Kam
Godinet
Malaka
Mcillwrick
Sue
Grant
Benji

Second rower (someone like Tyson Fizzell)
Winger (pace to burn)
Centre (can set up a winger and create tries. solid in defence)
Hooker (still have hope for Liddle but need a back up)
It comes down to what you are paying blokes. From the list above if MWZ is on a near minimum contract, I would keep him as a ISP/depth player. Similar with Benji. If we can get him for under 250k would keep him for the role he was intended to play this year, back-up/mentor/benchi utility.

The others are either bog average and not worth a minimum contract, or would want much more than the minimum.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 9:28 am

MWZ has done nothing to warrant not being re-signed. We need depth players, and he’s fine in that role.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:18 am

tigerap wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 4:04 pm

Lolohea
McQueen
Chee Kam
Godinet
Malaka
Mcillwrick
Sue
Grant
Benji

Second rower
Winger
Centre
Hooker

So disappointing our last 9 games...
So you are saying get rid of 9 players and we need to recruit 4 players. What about the other 5 replacements we need.

Don't disagree with your cuts except, guess you mean Malakai not Malaka{totally different kettle of fish}who has done everything asked of him and we do not need a hooker (unless it is for 2018 only).

All very well to say cut these people - who are the replacements; pretty sure everyone knows what we need but who are they? Someone said Frizzel type - good but who is it.

Just naming people that are contracted and happy at their respective clubs is just "pie in the sky stuff"

Not having a go at you "Tigerap" but people have been saying all year we need RTS, Holmes, Roberts etc. we had no chance of these players.

Saying we need this type of player etc. means nothing.

Let's - if we are talking about replacements, talk about players off contract or players Clubs are shopping around, that is being realistic.

We also need 30 players for next year, not just 17.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:42 am

Clean out and look at players we can get
Hookers , Issac Luke , Apisai Koroisau
Props , Aaron Woods , Peni Terepo
Back Row , Ethan Lowe , Jason , Bakuya
Centre , Brian Kelly , Blake Ferguson , George Jennings
Wing , Ken Maumalo , Anthonio Winterstein
All off contract end 2018 , Woods contract will end as soon as a club grabs him