Run Home and Finals Hopes

Wests Tigers Discussion
Fade To Black

Re: Run Home and Finals Hopes

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 2:34 pm

Onthebus wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:40 am
We only have ourselves to blame if we don't make the 8, had a rough patch where we should have won a few games

Won't be happy though if we finish 9th and the Broncos finish 8th by two points, only beacuse we got absolutely rorted against them earlier in the year
The Broncos have been virtually "given" at least 3 games this season that I can remember. Our game, a penalty right in front to win the game vs Titans I think it was and one other one where a 2-3 metre forward pass was let go at the end of the game to ensure them the win. A gift of 6 points on the ladder courtesy of the dodginess of the NRL and its' employees.
That is the difference.
If we somehow look a chance of overtaking them into 8th spot the NRL will make sure they are guaranteed of finals footy with some "creative officiating" in their last game or 2. Thanks Todd!

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 2:49 pm

The other one when they got the game-winning penalty from right in front of the posts ( vs Titans?) was just as bad.

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 2:51 pm

Assuming the Roosters win today, we are 5-1 against the top 4, 4-1 against the bottom 4 and 0-7 against the middle 7. We can beat anyone if we're up but we aren't up every week. 5/6 will get us to the finals which we are capable of, but doing it is another thing.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 3:57 pm

Yeah I don’t see it happening.. Need to win virtually all of our remaining games AND find some luck with positions 5-8 on the ladder finding some losses.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 4:04 pm

Would be nice if Manly can win today it would keep 4 teams in the top 8 on 24 points.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 4:43 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 2:34 pm
Onthebus wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:40 am
We only have ourselves to blame if we don't make the 8, had a rough patch where we should have won a few games

Won't be happy though if we finish 9th and the Broncos finish 8th by two points, only beacuse we got absolutely rorted against them earlier in the year
The Broncos have been virtually "given" at least 3 games this season that I can remember. Our game, a penalty right in front to win the game vs Titans I think it was and one other one where a 2-3 metre forward pass was let go at the end of the game to ensure them the win. A gift of 6 points on the ladder courtesy of the dodginess of the NRL and its' employees.
That is the difference.
If we somehow look a chance of overtaking them into 8th spot the NRL will make sure they are guaranteed of finals footy with some "creative officiating" in their last game or 2. Thanks Todd!
At the risk of being labelled a whinger, I'll agree. But of course the comp isn't rigged in any way.
"Quality Stupidity"

The Old Fox

Post by The Old Fox » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 4:53 pm

Warriors and Panthers both can't win only draw and they need to play each other..and a draw would suit us down the ground..if we won them all from here on in..it would mean one of these teams can't afford to lose two games..both teams don't have it easy on the way home I can see both of them losing at least two games..Dragons at leichardt helps..the bunnies last round depends on whether they can win the minor premiership..but if they can't you wouldn't expect them to bust their guts..a lot of if's and buts..however the chance of making it is still possible.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 5:00 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 2:51 pm
Assuming the Roosters win today, we are 5-1 against the top 4, 4-1 against the bottom 4 and 0-7 against the middle 7. We can beat anyone if we're up but we aren't up every week. 5/6 will get us to the finals which we are capable of, but doing it is another thing.
Yes. The Roosters have gone to an early big lead.
I'm not worried about playing the top 4 teams. I'm worried about the bottom 4 team
in Ivan we distrust

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 5:45 pm

Despite their delicate position in the bottom half of the eight, Brisbane will be a shoe in to make it - the refs will guarantee that. Our best hope is to take the place of the Warriors who have now fallen into the bottom spot after that loss on the weekend, but we will have to win every game from here on to make up for the two game gap and our inferior F/A.

It's a huge ask, not impossible, but highly unlikely and of course the Warriors will have to lose a few games as well. It's probably too little, too late, but I hope a finals berth will remain a possibility in our run home for at least a few weeks more.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:11 pm

Few teams falling into our laps now

Penrith ,Warriors possibly Brisbane

Cows will do us a massive favour and beat Brisbane , you watch

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:22 pm

Hey, I said it before the souths win, we can beat every team in this competition if we regain our early season form and stay fit. Plenty of naysayers here. Lucky the team has a more positive outlook. See for example the interview with Corey Thompson. I'll chose his optimism over the negativity (just being realistic) any day.
"Quality Stupidity"

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:28 pm

I was optimistic until after the Titans game, that hurt.
Now I'm just happy the players have proven to themselves the first few weeks weren't a fluke, and although I have only a bit more hope, I have a lot more pride and satisfaction when thinking about the season as a whole (and some regret about the mid season and mid table team issues). If we make it, then it will be well deserved given the teams we have beaten and the way we will have to close out the season.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:47 pm

Honestly given we've beaten every top 4 team this year even if we got 8th spot I'd be confident we could go on a run ala cowboys last year

I do fear Roosters and Melbourne next time round though, they are both much better than when we last played them

I reckon we play penrith/sharks week 1 should we make it. But I stress, one week at a time

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:25 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 6:47 pm
Honestly given we've beaten every top 4 team this year even if we got 8th spot I'd be confident we could go on a run ala cowboys last year

I do fear Roosters and Melbourne next time round though, they are both much better than when we last played them

I reckon we play penrith/sharks week 1 should we make it. But I stress, one week at a time
Let's not Jonah them eh!

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm

We are realistically 3 wins from the top 8.

4 points out of the 8 but nearly 30 points worse off For/against (equates to another win needed), and we have to play the Raiders down there - our bogey team that always puts points on us.

Anyway, Farah and Mbye have made us a better team, so here’s hoping.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:45 pm

Need to beat dogs and manly by a fair margin. Agree about the raiders game, that's probably the hardest game left for us given recent history

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:48 pm

Seantice wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 1:55 pm
Geo. wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:48 am
Seantice wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:46 am
Does it matter? even if we made it to the finals we would only be making up the numbers.
Yeah lets not bother...may as well go to Bali now... :roll:
I'm not saying give up. I want this team to play their best for every game. I'm just saying our best will not win a final should we make it there. We have too many positions made up of average joes. I'm looking forward to 2020 honestly.
We've beaten Storm twice, Rorters, Dragons, Rabbits this year. Is there anyone else can finish 1st!

Maybe the Panthers.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Post by 851 » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:58 pm

Fibros wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:48 pm
Seantice wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 1:55 pm
Geo. wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:48 am
Seantice wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:46 am
Does it matter? even if we made it to the finals we would only be making up the numbers.
Yeah lets not bother...may as well go to Bali now... :roll:
I'm not saying give up. I want this team to play their best for every game. I'm just saying our best will not win a final should we make it there. We have too many positions made up of average joes. I'm looking forward to 2020 honestly.
We've beaten Storm twice, Rorters, Dragons, Rabbits this year. Is there anyone else can finish 1st!

Maybe the Panthers.
I think you have totally owned this guy, if it was a fight the ref would stop it right now
Go hard or go home