jadtiger wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:26 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:18 am
Geo. wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:00 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 6:46 am
Ever notice the people who always dispute Bennett as the greatest coach ever because of the luxuries he's had, never offer up an alternative. Same goes with Bellamy. Very fast to shoot them down, but very slow to offer up anyone better.
Jack Gibson always left Clubs in a better state than he found them...
So has Bennett. Newcastle was on Tinkler, not him.
Dragons supporters would disagree Bennett left them in a mess also
Left them with premiership they could never win before or since. The Dragons also wanted to re-sign him too.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:59 am

jadtiger wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:26 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Geo. wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Ever notice the people who always dispute Bennett as the greatest coach ever because of the luxuries he's had, never offer up an alternative. Same goes with Bellamy. Very fast to shoot them down, but very slow to offer up anyone better.
Dragons supporters would disagree Bennett left them in a mess also
It certainly seemed that the juice was still being drained out of them for a while post Bennett, but they did win the comp.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:14 am

Geo. wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Jack Gibson hasn't coached for 30 years, and hasn't been breathing for 10.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Geo. wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Dragons have pretty much flopped tho...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:20 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:14 am
Geo. wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Still a better coach than Bennett Imo....different eras i know but still the modern coach has a lot more to work with..Gibson was a great man motivator and got the best out of what he had with the help of Ron Massey..
happy tiger wrote:
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 6:24 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:14 am
Geo. wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
He’d still be better than Cleary. Who has T-Boned the bus
in Ivan we distrust

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 6:49 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:22 am
Tcat wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:11 am
I'd like to think that if we destined to sign Madge, that he would have learnt from his past mistakes like most people do in life. People are bagging him based on mistakes he made at Souths but he won a premiership there and appears have a high expectation of the team which more than Cleary has ever done (for God sake the bloke couldn't even decide on one captain or know what his top squad was). Whether its Madge or Bennett it will be a serious upgrade on what we are used to as WTs supporters.
This. Really don't get why it matters what he did wrong at Souths. If you focused on every coaches downfall at their previous clubs, you'd never give them a job again. He at least deserves a shot at redemption before being written off. He's a premiership winning coach, they don't come along everyday.

I think its more to do with how fresh and different they looked this season under Seibold. Even the rubbish Burgess brothers looked fresh again. Their style of play also looked more modern.

Horses for courses however and if we cant get Bennett, Maguire will be perfect.

This club needs a shake up and im sure he can do that.
Its an opinion!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:05 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 6:49 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tcat wrote:
I'd like to think that if we destined to sign Madge, that he would have learnt from his past mistakes like most people do in life. People are bagging him based on mistakes he made at Souths but he won a premiership there and appears have a high expectation of the team which more than Cleary has ever done (for God sake the bloke couldn't even decide on one captain or know what his top squad was). Whether its Madge or Bennett it will be a serious upgrade on what we are used to as WTs supporters.
This. Really don't get why it matters what he did wrong at Souths. If you focused on every coaches downfall at their previous clubs, you'd never give them a job again. He at least deserves a shot at redemption before being written off. He's a premiership winning coach, they don't come along everyday.

I think its more to do with how fresh and different they looked this season under Seibold. Even the rubbish Burgess brothers looked fresh again. Their style of play also looked more modern.

Wasn't that what Ivan was brought in to do :?

Seems that's all that happens with this Club...re building, next year, re-engineering ,solid foundation :blah :blah :blah

I hope you're right and the next bloke has what it takes to get the job finally done...we won't know ourselves...
happy tiger wrote:
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:32 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:05 pm
The Patriot wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tcat wrote:

Seems that's all that happens with this Club...re building, next year, re-engineering ,solid foundation :blah :blah :blah

I hope you're right and the next bloke has what it takes to get the job finally done...we won't know ourselves...
Yes it would be good to see something stick.

I liked Ivans coaching style, Maguire or Bennett will be very different but more than style our boys just need someone to follow. Someone who has a bit of faith in them.
Its an opinion!

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:35 pm

The Patriot wrote:

I started the year thinking, "Wow! Souths have heaps more options", but by the end of the year they were lacking ideas IMHO.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:01 pm

Masterton wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:35 pm
The Patriot wrote:

I started the year thinking, "Wow! Souths have heaps more options", but by the end of the year they were lacking ideas IMHO.
I agree they hit a bit of a wall. First year coach.

They did a couple of things however that were ahead of the game. They rolled the ruck in a new way, they didnt do the Storm style hands and knees for a quick play the ball. They just kept forward momentum in the tackle and didnt stop when the ref called held. Teams couldnt stop the ruck, Damien Cook had a field day.

I cant describe it as well as i saw it play out but it was something very new. They found a way to roll over the top of teams. Would love to know how many penalties they might have got for inside the 10 or not marking up properly. At times you simply couldnt get back on side quick enough or even get to marker.

In the finals however it seemed the refs cracked down on the ruck, no more walking off the mark etc. Might have had something to do with that wall they hit.
Last edited by The Patriot on Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Its an opinion!

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:03 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:01 pm
Masterton wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

They did a couple of things however that were ahead of the game. They rolled the ruck in a new way, they didnt do the Storm style hands and knees for a quick play the ball. They just kept forward momentum in the tackle and didnt stop when the ref called held. Teams couldnt stop the ruck, Damien Cook had a field day.

I cant describe it as well as i saw it play out but it was something very new. They found a way to roll over the top of teams. Would love to know how many penalties they might have got for inside the 10 or not marking up properly. At times you simply couldnt get back on side quick enough or even get to marker.

In the finals however it seemed the refs cracked down on the ruck, no more walking off the mark etc. Might have had something to do with that wall they hit.
Souths were my favourite team to watch this year. Played an unbelievable brand of attacking football. If they beat Melbourne in round 1 of the finals I reckon they pretty much win it. They had to back up the following week, then had the drama of the burgess scandal and it went pear shaped from there.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:03 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:01 pm
Masterton wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

Souths were my favourite team to watch this year. Played an unbelievable brand of attacking football. If they beat Melbourne in round 1 of the finals I reckon they pretty much win it. They had to back up the following week, then had the drama of the burgess scandal and it went pear shaped from there.
End of the day Reynolds isnt a top qulaity half, Walker is a good number 2, Cook can play well when his team have momentum, cant create like a Smith or Farah when the team is struggling. They lack a quality organising, take control kind of half.
Its an opinion!

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 7:05 pm
The Patriot wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tcat wrote:

But isn’t that the story of our lives. We get coaches who can’t coach and we can’t get rid of them. We had the Farah/jt scandal and that was meant to solve all our problems we had the big 4 drama and couldn’t get them to re sign. Management is finally in order, biggest Sydney crowds, membership at record levels and of course its got to go haywire . Can you imagine a year with no drama, playing finals and players and coaches all get along and wanting to come back the following year. Or is that too much to ask.....

Siamtiger

Post by Siamtiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:40 pm

When we signed Ivan was he the best coach on the market at that time ? Yes i believe so.
We need to sign the best thats available now!
If we wait and ponder the best will go to other clubs.
Word out of Brisbane is its down to 2 Madge or Kevvie.With a strong push for Madge!
Where does that leave us?
Up the creek without a paddle.
Waynes the Man sign him before someone else does.
Bring in Bennetts prefferred assistant coach one year early as an interim coach to to start Bennets systems and get the club ready for a 2020 start.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:48 pm

Siamtiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:40 pm
When we signed Ivan was he the best coach on the market at that time ? Yes i believe so.
Word out of Brisbane is its down to 2 Madge or Kevvie.With a strong push for Madge!
Bring in Bennetts prefferred assistant coach one year early as an interim coach to to start Bennets systems and get the club ready for a 2020 start.

Not a bad idea

Siamtiger

Post by Siamtiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:50 pm

Coaches
Wayne Pearce: 26 Matches; 11 Wins, 13 Losses, 2 Draws; 42.3% Winning percentage (2000)
Terry Lamb: 50 Matches; 16 Wins, 33 Losses, 1 Draw; 32% Winning percentage (2001–2002)
Tim Sheens: 249 Matches; 122 Wins, 127 Losses; 49% Winning percentage (2003–2012)Mick Potter: 48 Matches; 17 Wins, 31 Losses; 35% Winning percentage (2013–2014)
Jason Taylor: 51 Matches; 20 Wins, 31 Losses; 39% Winning percentage (2015–2017)
Andrew Webster (Interim): 2 Matches; 2 Losses, 0% Winning percentage (2017)
Ivan Cleary: 43 Matches; 18 Wins, 25 Losses; 42% Winning percentage (2017-)

Looking at our History i Think this club deserves better!
End the Ivan crashed bus experiment now !

GIVE Bennett a crack!

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:07 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:48 pm
Siamtiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:40 pm

Not a bad idea
I'm of the same mind. In a way I hope Brisbane choose Maguire because that will just about force us to take Bennett, if he's really interested in coming, even if we have to wait a year. I don't want to waste 2019 any more than anyone else but we have a chance at a top line coach which doesn't come along all that often. And, you never know, but if the Broncos go for Maguire they might move Bennett on a year early.