Wests Tigers Discussion
GNR4LIFE

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:04 am

bigsiro wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 8:09 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:54 pm
I’m apathetic towards Cleary. Wouldn’t affect me.
GNR we might as well continue the discussion here.l being that the other is the poll thread...
I just read this and have trouble with it.
I can’t belive you are apathetic.
No poster here is!

Anyway, being that Hasler is putting his hand up for the manly job, why aren’t we going for Toovey??? That guy is an inspiration. Toughest player I ever saw. A premiership winning coach.
No brainer.
I think different things affect everyone differently. I still don't understand how people defend the 3 morons who left last year, and i don't know how anyone who calls themselves a WT's fan can support any side they play for, including NSW and Australia. But them leaving the way they did does not affect most supporters to that extent, the way i think it should.

As for Cleary, i just don't care. Maybe its because i didn't fawn over him from day 1 like most others did and now feel betrayed. They will now feel the same way i feel about the above 3. I don't feel the same, but i can understand it.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:05 am

That almost perfectly describes my position. Once I was the most one-eyed vocal Wests magpies supporter you could be. That passion has eroded to a point where I don't watch all WT games but I still follow them. If that makes me a fair weather fan then so be it. They're just words and don't reflect my feelings after nearly 60 years of following football.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:16 am

coivtny wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:05 am
That almost perfectly describes my position. Once I was the most one-eyed vocal Wests magpies supporter you could be. That passion has eroded to a point where I don't watch all WT games but I still follow them. If that makes me a fair weather fan then so be it. They're just words and don't reflect my feelings after nearly 60 years of following football.
Yeah I tend to agree with you here. I watch every game without fail but my level of caring is declining with each season that goes by. Started off the season well but then hit the usual Tigers decline as the season went on. I was there for the last game vs Souths and it was embarrassing.. Unless we get a new coach and some new cattle ASAP 2019 will be more of the same.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:17 am

2041 wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:25 am
supercoach wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 6:47 am
I canned my auto renewal. Wanted to have a think about it. Always be a red hot Tigers man, but I am not sure I have the energy to commit for a full season especially if we have a coach who wants out and a sqaud of mainly plodders and penioners
Nah, sorry, no you're not. If your support is conditional, you're a fair weather fan.
A bit harsh imo

Each to their own... I regularly only get a 4 or 8 game membership... I don't attend every game like many - I'm sure the club stil appreciate our support
My passion for WTs & NRL has drastically waned over the years
So peoples declscriotion of a fair-weather fan varies greatly I guess

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:27 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:16 am
coivtny wrote:
Yeah I tend to agree with you here. I watch every game without fail but my level of caring is declining with each season that goes by. Started off the season well but then hit the usual Tigers decline as the season went on. I was there for the last game vs Souths and it was embarrassing.. Unless we get a new coach and some new cattle ASAP 2019 will be more of the same.
I was at the Souths game too. One of my sons, who follows Souths, bought me and his brothers tickets as a birthday present. He thought it would be funny to sit us right in the middle of the Warren. We scored first and I thought we might be up for a win but what followed was just embarrassing.
Earlier in the year my mate said he'd get tickets for the Titans game at Leichhardt. What he didn't tell me was that he'd rang Skandalis and got tickets in one of the boxes. That seat ended up costing me $200 and it was another loss.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:32 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
coivtny wrote:
It will be more of the same regardless who is coaching. Not sure why its so vital for Cleary to leave in order for us to have a good year. Thanks to the wonderful squad he assembled for 2019, not even Bennett could get much out of them if he was to come this pre-season.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:39 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:32 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
coivtny wrote:
It will be more of the same regardless who is coaching. Not sure why its so vital for Cleary to leave in order for us to have good year. Thanks to the wonderful squad he assembled for 2019, not even Bennett could get much out of them if was to come this pre-season.
Oh look I totally agree re: the team, as it stands now you'd have to say it's extremely unlikely we'll make the 8. But, with a new coach i'm hoping that at least we see some improvements by way of motivation, discipline, closing out games etc. Things that I initially thought Cleary brought (based on the start of the season) but the longer the season went it was evident that he didn't.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:19 am

willow wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:31 am
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
GNR we might as well continue the discussion here.l being that the other is the poll thread...
No poster here is!

Anyway, being that Hasler is putting his hand up for the manly job, why aren’t we going for Toovey??? That guy is an inspiration. Toughest player I ever saw. A premiership winning coach.
No brainer.
I'm with GNR on this one. I used to get emotionally invested in the Tigers, not these days. The lack of success on the field has probably knocked it out of me. Happy to watch the games whenever I can, but whether we win or lose...meh. Sure it's great when we get a win but I'm never surprised when we lose because we don't have a team full of stars like the chooks or Storm and consistency on the field week to week is something the club has never really had. More important things in life to worry about these days too, so I just put it in perspective - the Tigers are a sports team I like to watch and that's about it.
I am increasingly the same boat.

The games are a nice to make time for in between life... Still love this forum and the personalities / banter

Scary thing above all is the next Gen in my family are drifting far away... the lack of on field performance is doing its best to wipe away a generation of supporters...

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:21 am

Tcat wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:04 pm
coivtny wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:29 pm
Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:13 pm
Cleary is smart enough not to walk.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
When I thought he had some integrity I would have said Cleary wouldn't do that but we know that bird has flown. If I was WT and he does decide to play hardball I would:
a) appoint a coach for 2019 and beyond as they appear to be doing
b) call the new coach head of football operations or something else but they would be the coach
c) give Cleary no role with the team at all, effectively sidelining him.
The downside is we'd have to keep paying him but the upside is Cleary sits virtually idle for two years. I can't imagine that would please Cleary or Penrith and he'd be much more likely to seek a release to go to Penrith. If he does WT would not be liable for a payout.
Whatever happens, WTs must not pay any form of compensation to Cleary under any circumstances. I hope that the hold up regarding any announcements is due to management working out the best financial outcome for us. The Panthers have completely derailed our rebuild under Cleary and I'd be livid if we paid any compensation for him to go and give Gould and the Clearys what they want.
Totally agree with the sentiment and the business outcome.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:24 am

Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:19 am
willow wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:31 am
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
No poster here is!

No brainer.
I'm with GNR on this one. I used to get emotionally invested in the Tigers, not these days. The lack of success on the field has probably knocked it out of me. Happy to watch the games whenever I can, but whether we win or lose...meh. Sure it's great when we get a win but I'm never surprised when we lose because we don't have a team full of stars like the chooks or Storm and consistency on the field week to week is something the club has never really had. More important things in life to worry about these days too, so I just put it in perspective - the Tigers are a sports team I like to watch and that's about it.
I am increasingly the same boat.

The games are a nice to make time for in between life... Still love this forum and the personalities / banter

Scary thing above all is the next Gen in my family are drifting far away... the lack of on field performance is doing its best to wipe away a generation of supporters...
Could this be linked to not completing sets :shock:
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Post by 2041 » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:29 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:17 am
2041 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
I canned my auto renewal. Wanted to have a think about it. Always be a red hot Tigers man, but I am not sure I have the energy to commit for a full season especially if we have a coach who wants out and a sqaud of mainly plodders and penioners
Nah, sorry, no you're not. If your support is conditional, you're a fair weather fan.
A bit harsh imo

Each to their own... I regularly only get a 4 or 8 game membership... I don't attend every game like many - I'm sure the club stil appreciate our support
Personally I think a large part of the reason why crowds in Sydney are so crap is the fact that people get a pass for calling themselves die hard fans when they're not members and don't go to games. People are completely entitled to say they can't be bothered committing to a team they don't expect to be any good, but so far as I'm concerned if you do that you're not a "red hot" fan.

Look at you: you're happily admitting that your passion has waned. That's fair enough - we all get older, have other priorities and so forth. But it's a peculiarly NRL thing to say "yeah I'm a massive fan, die-hard Tigers till I die, haven't been to a game since 2011 because the parking's no good but."

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:40 am

2041 wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:29 am
innsaneink wrote:
2041 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
A bit harsh imo

Personally I think a large part of the reason why crowds in Sydney are so crap is the fact that people get a pass for calling themselves die hard fans when they're not members and don't go to games. People are completely entitled to say they can't be bothered committing to a team they don't expect to be any good, but so far as I'm concerned if you do that you're not a "red hot" fan.

Look at you: you're happily admitting that your passion has waned. That's fair enough - we all get older, have other priorities and so forth. But it's a peculiarly NRL thing to say "yeah I'm a massive fan, die-hard Tigers till I die, haven't been to a game since 2011 because the parking's no good but."
yeah and we can't take the bus because ivan stole it :deadhorse:
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:13 am

2041 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
Sorry mate I have been a paid up member of the WTs since day one and previously a paid up member of Balmain. What Iam saying is in 2019 I might support them on Fox rather than making the hike to Campbelltown, Parra or LO. Fair weather fan....mate you don’t have a clue what your talking about

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:15 am

formerguest wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 9:48 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:15 pm
formerguest wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 2:27 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:15 pm

He’s already said that, to the players,
If he had said it even half as conclusively as the words of TT above convey and a few days earlier, little doubt that there would have been a lot less, if any conjecture in the initial weeks post statement.
We have the time to sit around and dissect every syllable that’s said during any of our perceived disasters,
Sometimes other people don’t say the things that we want them too, but no matter what they say, there’d be some here , that will always complain that the announcement/ statement isn’t what they want to hear,
We don’t matter, and Coaches/Clubs/Players, all at some times puts out press releases that mean Bugger All.
And even if their releases are 100% accurate, someone is bound to misunderstand, , or. object to , or simply fail to understand what some of the wording means
They can’t please us all ........
Didn't take more than a few minutes to dissect his press release , yet Cleary took 5 days to sort out the statement that said bugger all, as a short sentence from TT clearly shows. Also, unless Chris Lawrence is a liar, Ivan certainly told him no such thing.
It took ages for 851 to disect and understand one word of Bennett’s statements , let alone the rest,

I’m still not sure that he does :D

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:43 am

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in-the ... 509tm.html

--------------

In the most maddening month of rugby league coaching madness so far, with as many five clubs uncertain who will be in charge next season, the safest bet is Des Hasler to Manly.

Hasler met on Monday with his manager, George Mimis, who is currently the busiest man in the city because he also looks after Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary and Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett.

Homecoming: Des Hasler.
Homecoming: Des Hasler.CREDIT:SIMON ALEKNA

The Sea Eagles insist no deal has been done with Hasler, who left the club days after winning the 2011 grand final to take the big dollars at the Bulldogs.

It’s a race in three but Hasler is miles ahead of Manly assistant John Cartwright and Jason Demetriou, who is Bennett’s assistant at the Broncos. Demetriou was confident he was Brookvale-bound until the phone stopped ringing a week or so ago.

Manly haven’t spoken to former coach Geoff Toovey nor Roosters assistant Jason Taylor and they are furious with Michael Maguire after he declared he’d knocked back an offer to join them. They say they walked away from negotiations because they couldn't come to terms.

Advertisement

So the smart money is on Hasler coming home to Manly, leaving club management to mop up the mess surrounding their current coach Trent Barrett, who put in his notice late last season.

RELATED ARTICLE
Des Hasler ready to take big haircut to return to Manly
SEA EAGLES
Des Hasler ready to take big haircut to return to Manly
Add to shortlist
“All I have done is get briefed by George Mimis and I will start to do some work on it in the next couple of days,” Hasler said. “That’s all there is at the moment. I only got back into the country last night. I am keen to coach in the NRL again and I will look at the pros and the cons of the offer.”

Manly expect to make an announcement about the coach by the end of this week. So do several clubs. The finger in the dyke appears to be the Broncos.

Penrith are hopeful Ivan Cleary will soon be released from the final two years of his deal with the Wests Tigers so he can join them when the pre-season officially starts on November 1.

The Tigers will only release Cleary if they find a replacement. They want Wayne Bennett, who has one year to run at the Broncos but wants out even if he’s told his players he intends sticking it out in 2019.

The Tigers need a kill after chair Marina Go and chief executive Justin Pascoe told anyone who would listen earlier they would not be letting Cleary go early.

More than that, they’d told sponsors they were confident of also securing Cleary’s son, Nathan, the NSW halfback who has since signed a mega-deal to stay at Penrith.

Dash for cash: The great Wayne Bennett will want big bucks to leave Brisbane.
Dash for cash: The great Wayne Bennett will want big bucks to leave Brisbane.CREDIT:AAP

Now they face the grim reality of not having both. Having Bennett, a seven-time premiership coach, strolling the dungeon-like corridors under Concord Oval will soften the blow.

Bennett, however, is adamant no deal has been done at the Tigers and I believe him.

Bennett likes money. He won’t go to the Tigers unless he’s on really good money, in excess of $1 million a year. And he’ll want some cash out of the Broncos, too. Thanks for that.

Maguire is the Tigers’ fallback option. And after his New Zealand side shocked the Kangaroos last Saturday night at Mt Smart Stadium, he might’ve bumped up his asking price. That's how silly and reactionary the coaching market has become.

Souths, meanwhile, also want an answer from their coach, Anthony Seibold, by the end of this week.

Seibold is contracted until the end of next season but he’s talking to the Broncos, who he’s always wanted to coach. He has a very close relationship with Broncos chief executive Paul White, who has had a spectacular fallout with Bennett.

Target: Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold with his Dally M Coach of the Year Award.
Target: Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold with his Dally M Coach of the Year Award.CREDIT:AAP

Many at the Broncos are convinced that Seibold is already stitched up at Red Hill for the 2020 season.

How many first-year coaches like Seibold refuse to extend their deal mid-season as Seibold did with Souths?

If a deal for 2020 is done, don’t be surprised if Souths let Seibold walk early and start looking towards the future.

They would’ve had a walk-up replacement in assistant coach David Furner, but he’s signed with Leeds in the UK Super League.

There’s an old saying in footy: if you’re not part of the future, you cannot be part of the present. Better to rip of the bandaid fast to ease the pain.

Fair enough, too, but this coaching madness that’s presently at play reveals how weak some clubs can be.

They want instant success. They will happily move on coaches with one or two years remaining on their deal, letting him leave so they can entice a coach to break a contract at another club.

It distorts the market. It angers fans. It bemuses players who are often accused of being greedy. The bottom line is it hurts the game.

Manly have been doing a great job lately of just hurting themselves.

They will argue that Hasler needs them more than they need Hasler because he’s an out-of-work coach after being sacked by the Bulldogs — but they're playing poker with a bad hand.

Hasler is often branded “the mad scientist” because of his quirky mannerisms, but he’s also the mad scientist who gets the job done. His premierships in 2008 and 2011 make him the Sea Eagles’ most successful coach since Bob Fulton.

He’s also distinctly Manly. He's very, very Manly.

With memberships and crowd figures in freefall because of the disaster under Barrett — an outsider who couldn’t get a strong roster to fire despite, apparently, having the players’ support — the club needs someone with maroon-and-white in their DNA.

There have been discussions about just how much control Hasler would have because he cannot be the dominant figure in the club like he was before.

Back then, he had to be. The Sea Eagles’ board was riven with factionalism. The club spat out chief executives like watermelon seeds.

Hasler perfected the fine art of snubbing the front office, empowering and listening to some very strong senior players, making them all supremely fit, and then ripping the heads off the opposition on the way to wild success.

Des had the run of the joint then. It will be intriguing to see how he works alongside current chief executive Lyall Gorman, and how much more involved co-owner and chairman Scott Penn will become.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:47 am

2041 wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 10:29 am
innsaneink wrote:
2041 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
A bit harsh imo

I think anyone who posts here is pretty much red hot Tigers.
I believe in membership, but calling someone out for not being a member is not the way to go. It will only alienate fans. You aren't a bigger or better fan just because you part with $60 for your stripes membership.
It is the NRL's fault for not ramming it home to fans that club membership is the only real way to be an "official" club supporter. AFL is amazing at this.
Don't get upset at other fans, blame the system.

In the meantime if anyone decides not to renew because they (a) don't have the $, or (b) don't want to financially support the organisation due to political/personal issues, then that is their prerogative IMO.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Post by 851 » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:56 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:15 am
formerguest wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 9:48 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:15 pm
formerguest wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 2:27 pm

If he had said it even half as conclusively as the words of TT above convey and a few days earlier, little doubt that there would have been a lot less, if any conjecture in the initial weeks post statement.
We have the time to sit around and dissect every syllable that’s said during any of our perceived disasters,
Sometimes other people don’t say the things that we want them too, but no matter what they say, there’d be some here , that will always complain that the announcement/ statement isn’t what they want to hear,
We don’t matter, and Coaches/Clubs/Players, all at some times puts out press releases that mean Bugger All.
And even if their releases are 100% accurate, someone is bound to misunderstand, , or. object to , or simply fail to understand what some of the wording means
They can’t please us all ........
Didn't take more than a few minutes to dissect his press release , yet Cleary took 5 days to sort out the statement that said bugger all, as a short sentence from TT clearly shows. Also, unless Chris Lawrence is a liar, Ivan certainly told him no such thing.
It took ages for 851 to disect and understand one word of Bennett’s statements , let alone the rest,

I’m still not sure that he does :D
Funny bloke not, if you look a little harder you will see he agrees with me about Ivans half baked statement.
Go hard or go home

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm

I've got no problem with paying Bennett a million bucks. We've got plenty of cash and he's a highly reputable and successful coach who'll bring some swagger with him!