2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
WT2K

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by WT2K » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 11:59 am

Not sure how signing a premiership winning coach is a disaster but each to their own I guess.
No more plodders!
:sign:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:02 pm

WT2K wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 11:59 am
Not sure how signing a premiership winning coach is a disaster but each to their own I guess.
There can be no argument that Maguire has a superior winning record than Cleary, in all respects - premierships, total wins, finals wins etc.

You can argue back and forward about the strength of the rosters each coach had; Cleary has a longer career overall.

If Cleary was viewed as a decent coach signing in 2017, and if the general consensus was that he did a reasonable job with Tigers 2017-2018, then I cannot understand any argument where Maguire would be a disaster as a replacement.

mario chalmers

Post by mario chalmers » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:11 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 11:55 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 11:40 am
Plato wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:20 am
One thing Madge might be able to bring with him is a couple of big scary Islanders to fill out the side and give us some strength up front. The Kiwis love him, and the Tigers would be like a second home with the ones we have already. Not enough for a Haka but we are getting there....
Please. If Maguire is signed this is a disaster.
A tad over the top imo. How is it a disaster? Sinking Boats full of fleeing refugees is a disaster. Maguire signing with us is just something you disagree with. Me, on the other hand, thinks it would be a huge upgrade and would bring discipline to our club. He might also redesign our forward pack - he likes a strong middle game.
Maguire 'might' bring players and he "might" be better than Ivan.

Scour the internet and I guarantee you won't find evidence of any player holding off from re-signing with his current club because he wants to know where Madge is coaching in 2019.

Bennett meantime has at least 3 players in a position to come with him if he joins WT. Pangai Jr, Oates and Lodge. All have held out of re-committing to the broncos because they want to know where Wayne is going.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bronc ... 3879f49dcc

Why can anyone say they'd have Maguire over Bennett in that context?

If we get Bennett it will be a game changer.

cochise

Post by cochise » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:27 pm

mario chalmers wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:11 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Plato wrote:
One thing Madge might be able to bring with him is a couple of big scary Islanders to fill out the side and give us some strength up front. The Kiwis love him, and the Tigers would be like a second home with the ones we have already. Not enough for a Haka but we are getting there....
A tad over the top imo. How is it a disaster? Sinking Boats full of fleeing refugees is a disaster. Maguire signing with us is just something you disagree with. Me, on the other hand, thinks it would be a huge upgrade and would bring discipline to our club. He might also redesign our forward pack - he likes a strong middle game.

Scour the internet and I guarantee you won't find evidence of any player holding off from re-signing with his current club because he wants to know where Madge is coaching in 2019.

Bennett meantime has at least 3 players in a position to come with him if he joins WT. Pangai Jr, Oates and Lodge. All have held out of re-committing to the broncos because they want to know where Wayne is going.

Because Bennett is not currently available?

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Wed 17 Oct, 2018 5:22 pm
I'm predicting Madge.
To be honest, his disciplinarian-ness might be exactly what we need.

He is a proven winner and has a fantastic record.
I'd be chuffed with him.

This group as with many of the last few seasons have been soft... as above this is exactly what is required some solid discipline and hard nosed work .This approach could also sort out some types that are at the club for the good times which could lead to a few spots opening up, I have posted previously that the present philosophy of the club is broken and needs a total shake up and Madge could just be that spark!

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:32 pm

cochise wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:27 pm
mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Demand that Ivan stays in '19 unless Panthers cough up a heap of cash.
Sign Bennett and some of the players for '20.
I would hate Ivan to be here next year but if Bennett is the best option than so be it, screw Ivan over just like he is doing to us.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:36 pm

Looks like Oates is staying put

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:49 pm

mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Plato wrote:

You can add Darius "Bennett" to the list

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:50 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:32 pm
cochise wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:27 pm
mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:

Demand that Ivan stays in '19 unless Panthers cough up a heap of cash.
Sign Bennett and some of the players for '20.
I would hate Ivan to be here next year but if Bennett is the best option than so be it, screw Ivan over just like he is doing to us.
If that happens the after match pressers and coaching insider vidz will be interesting

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:18 pm

We need every advantage to attract good players to WTs and improve performance.

Bennett can deliver this as well as his impressive communication skills, ability to deal with the media in a positive fashion and the admiration players have for him.

This is a pivotal moment in WTs’ future.

Let’s see if WTs’ management has the fortitude to go with the best.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:26 pm

It's seem more and more likely it will be Maguire over Bennett.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Post by 851 » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm

mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Plato wrote:

Well Oates is caving he is staying long term, TPJ and Lodge will stay as well, we don't have the 3rd party undethanded deals they do.
May be they don't love Wayne as much as you thought
Go hard or go home

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:43 pm

mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Plato wrote:

Post of the year

As good as Maguire is, he's no Wayne Bennett. Not just as a coach, but as a personality and the weight his name carries. He'd be the best thing to ever happen to this club, daylight second. Words couldn't describe it.

Players are not going to want to come here because of Maguire. They might over time, but he'll need results to attract real quality. Bennett would attract them instantly. If we have to wait 12 months, so be it. And yes, idc if that means writing off 2019. It would be worth it.

Imagine if we are sitting here in 12 months having missed the 8 with Madge. Would we be wondering what could have been if had just held out for Bennett?

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:11 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:43 pm
mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Post of the year

As good as Maguire is, he's no Wayne Bennett. Not just as a coach, but as a personality and the weight his name carries. He'd be the best thing to ever happen to this club, daylight second. Words couldn't describe it.

Players are not going to want to come here because of Maguire. They might over time, but he'll need results to attract real quality. Bennett would attract them instantly. If we have to wait 12 months, so be it. And yes, idc if that means writing off 2019. It would be worth it.

Imagine if we are sitting here in 12 months having missed the 8 with Madge. Would we be wondering what could have been if had just held out for Bennett?

I really don’t see what the problem is in appointing an interim coach who could work off line with Bennett to get things ready for 2020. That person just slots into assistant coaching role when he arrives.
If you want someone who you can sell to fans and sponsors as proven winner .... it’s Bennett.
So many positives with him .... just don’t get it why we would hesitate to come to such arrangement?

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:21 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:11 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
mario chalmers wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:

Post of the year

I really don’t see what the problem is in appointing an interim coach who could work off line with Bennett to get things ready for 2020. That person just slots into assistant coaching role when he arrives.
If you want someone who you can sell to fans and sponsors as proven winner .... it’s Bennett.
So many positives with him .... just don’t get it why we would hesitate to come to such arrangement?
Demetriou for 2019 - Bennett for 2020. Demetriou won't be getting the broncos job apparently.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:35 pm

WT2K wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:21 pm
momo&medo wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
mario chalmers wrote:

Post of the year

Demetriou for 2019 - Bennett for 2020. Demetriou won't be getting the broncos job apparently.

you really think bennette nut huggers will be beneficial for the long term success of our club

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:48 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:35 pm
WT2K wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Post of the year

you really think bennette nut huggers will be beneficial for the long term success of our club
Short term solution to long term success.

Tcat

Post by Tcat » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:56 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 2:35 pm
WT2K wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Post of the year

That's my thoughts too. Playing for a favored coach is one thing, but wanting to play and really be a part the clubs success is another.